The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Future of Trek (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Which CBS owned cable channel? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=155926)

xortex January 4 2012 06:18 PM

Which CBS owned cable channel?

Would be the best choice for a new tv series again? Sorry to ask the same old question but I'm too lazy to google what cable stations CBS owns. Someone mentioned AMC and that sounds right to me. Also FX? and HBO but that's a premium channel and another can of worms, so let's start with what non premium cable channels would be best first considering audience availability and interest, etc., of course and then the possibility of premium Trek.

Can Moonves lend Trek to other networks? or make direct to DVD telemovies or series or MOWs (movies of the week), etc.?

Santa Kang January 4 2012 06:32 PM

Re: Which CBS owned cable channel?

CBS owns Showtime. FX is owned by FOX. AMC is owned by AMC.

Come on, would typing "CBS owned cable channel" in google really take less time than typing that entire post?

CBS can do what ever it wants with Trek, including what you describe. Its called "licensing".

Tom January 4 2012 06:42 PM

CBS does not really own that many channels beyond Showtime and half of the CW network. Viacom has the most channels. Even 5 years after the breakup CBS has a close relationship with Viacom (thanks to daddy Redstone :) ).

C.E. Evans January 4 2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Tom wrote: (Post 5532148)
CBS does not really own that many channels beyond Showtime and half of the CW network. Viacom has the most channels. Even 5 years after the breakup CBS has a close relationship with Viacom (thanks to daddy Redstone :) ).

Close like a divorced couple with kids...
:D

xortex January 4 2012 09:38 PM

I know I just heard on the radio a snippett of CBS being bought by somebody - wasn't it Viacom? You never know what you're gonna hear or mishear. Something just bought CBS which would mean more cable channel access. No?

So, it can liscence it to AMC? How about NBC?

chardman January 5 2012 01:03 AM

They can license it to whomever they want to license it to.

C.E. Evans January 5 2012 01:23 AM

Quote:

xortex wrote: (Post 5533192)
I know I just heard on the radio a snippett of CBS being bought by somebody - wasn't it Viacom? You never know what you're gonna hear or mishear. Something just bought CBS which would mean more cable channel access. No?

Viacom bought CBS in 2000, but it was a largely unhappy arrangement, with the two companies sometimes working against one another (which is still going on today). They parted ways in 2006, with Viacom getting the Paramount Pictures movie studio and CBS aquiring what was formerly known as Paramount Television (which included the rights to Star Trek).

Temis the Vorta January 5 2012 01:48 AM

Wikipedia will give you the rundown on basic business info.

xortex January 5 2012 02:50 AM

I could swear I heard that CBS was bought recently.

C.E. Evans January 5 2012 03:51 AM

CBS did buy recently a new television station--WLNY in New York.

jefferiestubes8 January 6 2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

xortex wrote: (Post 5531983)
Would be the best choice for a new tv series again? Sorry to ask the same old question

xortex the thread is still open and a valid place for discussion.
Poll: What channel should a new Trek TV series be on?
Many of your questions above have been discussed.

xortex January 6 2012 07:25 PM

You're right. Sorry. Thanks.

jefferiestubes8 February 15 2013 12:05 PM

AXS TV

Quote:

This afternoon CBS acquired a minority stake in AXS TV, the cable channel formerly known as HDNet.

In addition to CBS, AXS is owned by Mark Cuban, Ryan Seacrest, live events company AEG and talent agency CAA. According to the companies, CBS will provide the network with live programming, and will offer marketing support.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/...-again_b167090

What kind of brand will AXS TV be in 2017?
Maybe CBS will buy a majority stake in it and a possible Trek outlet to carry this channel.

Temis the Vorta February 15 2013 06:44 PM

CBS is buying AXS because they are interested in live events (because they are more DVR proof and therefore more lucrative for ads than scripted TV.)

Quote:

CBS Corporation (NYSE: CBS) announced today that it has partnered with AXS TV, the leading television network dedicated to broadcasting live events from the worlds of music and pop culture.

“CBS is happy to provide AXS TV with live event content as the basis of this partnership,” said Moonves. “This is an innovative way to use our tentpole programming to gain more ownership in the cable network business. AXS TV will now serve as a terrific complement to our existing broadcast television entertainment programming.”
Star Trek would be DVRed to the max, which is why it needs to be moved out of the ad-based ecosystem. Some kind of subscription service would work better for it.

This is just the cananry in a coal mine. All ad-based TV is moving towards live events to lessen the appeal of DVR use.

jefferiestubes8 March 25 2013 02:51 PM

Temis mentioned last month: CBS is buying AXS
now CBS is buying the majority stake in another cable network

CBS Circling to Acquire Half of TV Guide Network

Quote:

Lionsgate is expected to close a deal to sell about half of TVGN, formerly known as the TV Guide Network, to CBS.
Quote:

CBS gets a network now seen in about 80 million American TV homes.
Quote:

The deal also apparently includes TVGuide.com, which has shown growth by adding strong content and will fit with other CBS digital properties.
Quote:

sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the price CBS is paying for 50 percent about $100 million
Quote:

For CBS, it is seen as a reasonable way to acquire a cable channel, broadening a portfolio that already includes the top-rated TV broadcast network, a pay TV service, a growing digital presence, a sports channel and half of The CW network.
They surely could rebrand this channel in 3 years.