The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=155884)

JD January 4 2012 05:52 AM

New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
Quote:

Lost Girl follows supernatural seductress Bo, a Succubus who feeds on the sexual energy (sometimes called "chi") of humans. Growing up with human parents, Bo had no reason to believe she was anything other than the girl next door - until she drained her boyfriend to death in their first sexual encounter. Now, she has hit the road alone and afraid. She discovers she is one of the Fae, creatures of legend and folklore, who pass as humans while feeding off them secretly and in different ways, as they have for millennia. Relieved to find out that she is not alone, yet horrified, Bo decides to take the middle path between the humans and the Fae while embarking on a personal mission to unlock the secrets of her origin.
With the help of her human sidekick, Kenzi, and Dyson, a sexy Fae working as a human police detective, Bo takes on a challenge every week helping a Fae or human client who comes to her to solve a mystery, or to right a wrong.
Lost Girl premieres on Syfy Monday, January 16, at 10/9c.


l
And the trailer
I really like this kind of urban fantasy stuff, and so far Syfy has a pretty good track record with original series for me, so I'm looking forward to this. Anyone else gonna check it out?
EDIT: One other element that they don't touch on in that description is the fact that there are good and bad Fae, and at a certain point they are supposed choose a side. But Bo hasn't chosen a side yet, so along with the mystery of the week mentioned in that description, there appears to be a bigger story about the conflict and Bo's role as a "free agent" as they put it in one of the trailers.

Admiral_Young January 4 2012 05:56 AM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
I didn't know SyFy was carrying this now. I've seen the promos for the show's previous seasons on Showcase but never got into it, it's a Canadian series filmed in Toronto if I'm not mistaken.

JD January 4 2012 06:04 AM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
Huh, didn't know that. Do you have any idea what kind of a reaction it got when it aired up there?

Admiral_Young January 4 2012 06:38 AM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
Absolutely none. I think in it's third season here now. Not sure if SyFy is showing it from the start or what.

Agent Richard07 January 4 2012 06:42 AM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
The show started airing on Showcase in Canada in September 2010. The first season had 13 episodes. Right now, it's just over halfway through its second season, which consists of 22 episodes, and has been renewed for a third.

Pingfah January 4 2012 11:31 AM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
Saw the first 2 episodes, thought it was crap.

Dream January 4 2012 11:38 AM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
Not much of a prelaunch topic if it has been out for YEARS. :rommie:

Technobuilder January 4 2012 02:01 PM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
Funny enough, I picked up watching this series last week. I've seen everything up to the last aired of season 2 and overall, I'd have to say, it's a nice, light urban fantasy series.

Anna Silk plays Bo, a "Lost" Fae who never knew what she was, raised by humans, and as a result never aligned herself with either the Light or Dark Fae. She also never learned to control her fae abilities which has left a trail of bodies in her wake.

The sidekick Kenzi, played by Ksenia Solo is a really talented actress who shows a nice range the deeper into the series you go. She's kinda the half 'Heart', half 'Comic Relief', all Attitude.

If you're interested, there's an arc-based storyline that weaves throughout the standard "of-the-week" fare.

I originally started watching the series because I'd enjoyed Anna Silk's guest stints on Being Erica and wanted to see her in another role, but now I'm willing to stick around and see where the story goes (despite a level of soap-opera romance) just because I like the characters and some of the concepts of "Fae" presented thus far.

Side Note: Maybe it's just Canadian production geared for a Canadian market, but there's a level of "Not-Nudity" Nudity that's kind of surprising at first glance.



I'd be interested to hear some opinions from those that have actually seen the series.

Greg Cox January 4 2012 06:09 PM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
I've heard about this, but never seen it. I'll have to check it out.

Agent Richard07 January 4 2012 06:17 PM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
Quote:

Technobuilder wrote: (Post 5530666)
I originally started watching the series because I'd enjoyed Anna Silk's guest stints on Being Erica and wanted to see her in another role...

She was well known for her role as Deb in that NicoDerm commercial...


23skidoo January 4 2012 06:50 PM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
It'll be interesting to find out if Syfy airs the original version or a censored version. The version we see up here goes into L Word territory fairly often. I've only seen a few bits of pieces but it sort of strikes me as Buffy meets Highlander: The Raven meets, well, L Word. My main interest in the show is because it stars Anna Silk; so it's sort of a Summer Glau scenario - fans don't care what the show is, they just want to see her. Fortunately for Anna made-for-cable Canadian series tend to be harder to kill off for ratings than something that airs on Fox or NBC.

Alex

Sindatur January 4 2012 07:04 PM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 5530402)
Not much of a prelaunch topic if it has been out for YEARS. :rommie:

Sure it is. Title of the thread very clear states it's a pre-launch thread for it airing on SyFy. It's never aired on SyFy (or on any National American Channel that I am aware of)

Pingfah January 4 2012 07:19 PM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
Quote:

23skidoo wrote: (Post 5532199)
It'll be interesting to find out if Syfy airs the original version or a censored version. The version we see up here goes into L Word territory fairly often. I've only seen a few bits of pieces but it sort of strikes me as Buffy meets Highlander: The Raven meets, well, L Word. My main interest in the show is because it stars Anna Silk; so it's sort of a Summer Glau scenario - fans don't care what the show is, they just want to see her. Fortunately for Anna made-for-cable Canadian series tend to be harder to kill off for ratings than something that airs on Fox or NBC.

Alex

Is there nudity? I don't see why simply having lesbians on the show should be a problem otherwise.

I don't recall nudity in the 2 episodes I watched.

Vendikarr January 4 2012 08:25 PM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
Quote:

Pingfalalalalah wrote: (Post 5532304)
Quote:

23skidoo wrote: (Post 5532199)
It'll be interesting to find out if Syfy airs the original version or a censored version. The version we see up here goes into L Word territory fairly often. I've only seen a few bits of pieces but it sort of strikes me as Buffy meets Highlander: The Raven meets, well, L Word. My main interest in the show is because it stars Anna Silk; so it's sort of a Summer Glau scenario - fans don't care what the show is, they just want to see her. Fortunately for Anna made-for-cable Canadian series tend to be harder to kill off for ratings than something that airs on Fox or NBC.

Alex

Is there nudity? I don't see why simply having lesbians on the show should be a problem otherwise.

I don't recall nudity in the 2 episodes I watched.

If I recall it had naked butts, lots of side boob, and plenty of moan and groans. It's PG pushed to its limit. If they don't air a toned down version it will be pretty racy for Syfy.

JD January 4 2012 08:41 PM

Re: New Syfy series Lost Girl - prelaunch thread
 
One of the adds I saw did promote it as being uncut, so it sounds like it might not be censored. It sounds like most of what's been shown is pretty much on par with what's been seen on some of the shows on FX, so it is possible it will be aired with the nudity.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.