The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=152182)

cblmc1296 December 1 2011 05:53 AM

Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
I watched Trek Nation on the Science Channel tonight and had the pleasure of seeing it with my 13 year old son. We both thought it was terrific. We knew going in that "Rod" Roddenberry would make it about his take on Star Trek and his father's role in it but we were very pleasantly surprised at the poignant journey of discovery Rod ended up going on. We (my son and I) exchanged a lot of knowing glances and chatter during and a big hug afterward.

I was just wondering what everyone else thought of it and whether you watched it with a parent or a child and what impact if any it had?

Harvey December 1 2011 06:17 AM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
I haven't seen it yet, though from the marketing materials I've seen it looks like they're pushing the "Gene Roddenberry: Visionary" idea pretty hard. I would like to see it eventually, though.

trekker670 December 1 2011 06:18 AM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
I've been waiting see see this since I heard about it a number of years ago, unfortunately I don't have the Science Channel. I'm hoping it will be streamed online eventually or at least go to DVD/Bluray.

Paradon December 1 2011 06:26 AM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
Make it the way he sees it and let the people decide. I think that's a great idea.

Kamdan December 1 2011 04:55 PM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
I didn’t like how the documentary didn’t acknowledge Gene Roddenberry’s first marriage, where he two daughters that appeared in the episode Miri, even though they claimed that he cheated on Majel. They use an 80’s clip of Roddenberry talking about he “lost his family” when he was working on the original series and they showed a picture of him with Majel and Rod to emphasis this. How could he of lost that family when he wasn’t remarried until after the show was cancelled? They also tried to make it seem like Roddenberry couldn’t get any work after Star Trek, because of his “bold vision.” BULLSHIT. He produced Pretty Maids All in a Row, three failed pilot and worked on the animated series (which wasn’t mentioned), so he wasn’t starving until he got the deal to do the motion picture.

22 Stars December 1 2011 10:17 PM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
It was good, better than I expected!

barnaclelapse December 1 2011 10:44 PM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
Haven't seen it, but I'd be willing to.

BillJ December 1 2011 10:53 PM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
Comes on tonight at 3am on SciHD, Tivo is set to record.

cblmc1296 December 1 2011 11:21 PM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
Quote:

Kamdan wrote: (Post 5378897)
I didn’t like how the documentary didn’t acknowledge Gene Roddenberry’s first marriage, where he two daughters that appeared in the episode Miri, even though they claimed that he cheated on Majel. They use an 80’s clip of Roddenberry talking about he “lost his family” when he was working on the original series and they showed a picture of him with Majel and Rod to emphasis this. How could he of lost that family when he wasn’t remarried until after the show was cancelled? They also tried to make it seem like Roddenberry couldn’t get any work after Star Trek, because of his “bold vision.” BULLSHIT. He produced Pretty Maids All in a Row, three failed pilot and worked on the animated series (which wasn’t mentioned), so he wasn’t starving until he got the deal to do the motion picture.

Yeah, as much as I liked it, as I was a bit disappointed that his first marriage and his daughters weren't mentioned. It did make that comment from the 80's interview seem rather strange as he wasn't married to Majel until '69 and they didn't have Rod until '74.

Kadratis December 2 2011 04:20 AM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
I rather liked it. ;) A fitting albeit fragmented biography on Gene. Also reminded me of the good times when Trek was still on a front burner. The good ol' days, I suppose.

JRS December 2 2011 08:21 AM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
Do you see lots of familiar Trek faces in this..or does it concentrate more on Roddenberry and TOS?:)
I am looking forward of seeing this, it does seem very interesting judging from the trailers.

cblmc1296 December 2 2011 03:04 PM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
It definitely concentrates on Roddenberry as it is, for all intents and purposes, about him. Nevertheless there are a lot of familiar faces even for those fans who didn't cut their teeth on TOS (e.g. Stewart, Frakes, Wheaton, Bakula, Rick Berman, Ron Moore, and others).

BillJ December 2 2011 04:25 PM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
Bad.

Fifty percent things I already knew and fifty percent pity party for the son.

I really wouldn't recommend it.

JonLuck Pickerd December 3 2011 01:26 AM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 5380377)
Bad.

Fifty percent things I already knew and fifty percent pity party for the son.

I really wouldn't recommend it.

Seems like he was really a punk spoiled teen. Even Majel didn't have a lot to say to him.

BillJ December 3 2011 02:27 AM

Re: Trek Nation...Good, Bad, or Indifferent?
 
Quote:

JonLuck Pickerd wrote: (Post 5381255)
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 5380377)
Bad.

Fifty percent things I already knew and fifty percent pity party for the son.

I really wouldn't recommend it.

Seems like he was really a punk spoiled teen. Even Majel didn't have a lot to say to him.

I nearly fell outta my chair with hysterical laughter when he said he liked the fact his Dad cheated on his Mom, it made him "seem more human". :guffaw:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.