The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   MU: Rise Like Lions by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=151854)

Thrawn November 22 2011 01:11 PM

MU: Rise Like Lions by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I know rfmcdpei just started a "reactions" thread, but I like these, with the polls. Maybe this could be the spoiler thread, and that one the spoiler free thread?

Anyway, I'm excited about this one; can't wait for the Kindle version next Tuesday. First one I've really been excited for since Children of the Storm!

Dimesdan November 22 2011 05:24 PM

Re: Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions review thread (spoiler

Quote:

Thrawn wrote: (Post 5362682)
I know rfmcdpei just started a "reactions" thread, but I like these, with the polls.

It's noticeable :p

JD November 22 2011 05:59 PM

I'm really excited for this one. The MU series has been one of my favorites, and I can't wait to see how David Mack ties up the Memory Omega storyline.

RandyS November 23 2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

JD wrote: (Post 5363057)
I'm really excited for this one. The MU series has been one of my favorites, and I can't wait to see how David Mack ties up the Memory Omega storyline.

"Ties up"? As in "The End"?? This new saddenes me. The MU series is one of my favorites too, and was hoping it would be a yearly event for the forseeable future.

Oh well, at least there's one more to look forward to.

JD November 23 2011 04:23 AM

Well, it is ending the MO story. But since I haven't read it, I don't know if ties up everything in the MU or just that one aspect of it.

RandyS November 23 2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

JD wrote: (Post 5364214)
Well, it is ending the MO story. But since I haven't read it, I don't know if ties up everything in the MU or just that one aspect of it.

Oh. I just assumed I'd missed an announcement or something.

Manisphere November 23 2011 07:55 PM

Question: I've only read Sorrows of the Empire. Will I be lost going right into RLL? Should I read something else before I pick this up?

rfmcdpei November 24 2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Manisphere wrote: (Post 5365406)
Question: I've only read Sorrows of the Empire. Will I be lost going right into RLL? Should I read something else before I pick this up?

The DS9 relaunch novels generally are useful, but Rise Like Lions continues directly from Fearful Symmetry.

JD November 24 2011 04:35 PM

I don't remember for sure, but thought it was implied when it came out that the events in "For Want of a Nail", the last story in Shards and Shadows were a pretty big deal.

JD November 25 2011 01:21 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that they have most of the first nine chapters up on Simon & Schuster's website.

Manisphere November 25 2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

rfmcdpei wrote: (Post 5366612)
Quote:

Manisphere wrote: (Post 5365406)

The DS9 relaunch novels generally are useful, but Rise Like Lions continues directly from Fearful Symmetry.

That's a bit disappointing. Sorry to be repetitive but must I be up on events in other MU stories such as Fearful Symmetry? I've never read a DS9 book and as this is a David Mack book and featured Memory Omega and Mackenzie Calhoun, I thought it would be an easy continuation from Sorrows of the Empire. Can one just jump in without being too confused considering my background does include stuff like the DS9 series, Vanguard and SotE?
:confused:

JD November 25 2011 09:42 PM

I just read most of the first five or six chapter, and it continues stuff from Sorrows of Empire,Fearful Symmetry, and the NF, DS9, TNG, and Voy stories in the other two books. But it does explain things pretty well, so you could read it without having read the other stories. It seems to me like the book is tying all of the threads from the different series together.

Manisphere November 25 2011 10:47 PM

Good to know. Thanks.:)

ToddCam November 28 2011 07:04 PM

Does it explain the two Selars?

JD November 30 2011 04:09 AM

Two Selars??