The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=151292)

Ugly Sweater November 8 2011 06:22 PM

Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
So I went to a Vintage Stock today and bought an old collector's book/graphic novel of the "Death of Superman" story from the mid/late '90s. I remember reading this and having it when I was in highschool but in the intervening years those comics are either long gone or in a box somewhere at the parent's house.

Anyway, I was flipping through the issue -haven't read it yet- and something odd stood out to me that I don't quite remember.

Supergirl flies up to Doomsday to fight him and he punches her, we see her face plop out like it's play-dough and then this purple mass lands on the ground.

Did Doomsday punch Supergirl out of her skin?! Or am I forgetting/missing something here?

JoeZhang November 8 2011 06:50 PM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
At that stage, Supergirl was a shape-shifting piece of goo known as Matrix, she reverted to her normal form when Doomsday hit her.

Ugly Sweater November 8 2011 06:56 PM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
Ah, yeah... Probably a good thing I forgot about that.

Solstice November 8 2011 06:57 PM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
Quote:

JoeZhang wrote: (Post 5335560)
At that stage, Supergirl was a shape-shifting piece of goo known as Matrix, she reverted to her normal form when Doomsday hit her.

lolwut

Stuff like this reminds me why I don't read comics anymore.

Guartho November 8 2011 06:59 PM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
Ah yes. I didn't read the comic, but my brother had the novelization. I remember Supergirl's ability being used as the solution to resolve a particularly difficult problem in the end.

Lindley November 8 2011 07:08 PM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 5335573)
Quote:

JoeZhang wrote: (Post 5335560)
At that stage, Supergirl was a shape-shifting piece of goo known as Matrix, she reverted to her normal form when Doomsday hit her.

lolwut

Stuff like this reminds me why I don't read comics anymore.

"At that stage, the Island was randomly hopping between different time/space coordinates and it only stabilized in the 1970s when John turned the frozen donkey wheel."

It's not just comics.

Broccoli November 8 2011 07:22 PM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 5335573)
Quote:

JoeZhang wrote: (Post 5335560)
At that stage, Supergirl was a shape-shifting piece of goo known as Matrix, she reverted to her normal form when Doomsday hit her.

lolwut

Stuff like this reminds me why I don't read comics anymore.

When did you stop? I'm curious, because comics have always been full of goofy shit like this since the beginning.

Gaith November 8 2011 08:01 PM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

:cardie:


Well, I'm certainly hoping that that's the grossest thing I'll hear all day, thankyouverymuch. :p

Hound of UIster November 8 2011 08:09 PM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
Quote:

Trekker4747 wrote: (Post 5335570)
Ah, yeah... Probably a good thing I forgot about that.

It gets better. Matrix then bonded to a dead girl and the two of them became an Earth Angel. Together they fought the first vampire and his mother, Lilith who were trying to control the female aspect of God embodied in Matrix.

Hound of UIster November 8 2011 08:11 PM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 5335573)
Quote:

JoeZhang wrote: (Post 5335560)
At that stage, Supergirl was a shape-shifting piece of goo known as Matrix, she reverted to her normal form when Doomsday hit her.

lolwut

Stuff like this reminds me why I don't read comics anymore.

This was back when DC management decided that Superman was the only Kryptonian and that no other Kryptonians should exist. So Supergirl, Zod and Krypto were all sent off to the farm.

Guartho November 8 2011 09:25 PM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
Quote:

Lindley wrote: (Post 5335591)
"At that stage, the Island was randomly hopping between different time/space coordinates and it only stabilized in the 1970s when John turned the frozen donkey wheel."

It's not just comics.

What's that from?

Herkimer Jitty November 8 2011 09:25 PM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
Quote:

Trekker4747 wrote: (Post 5335507)
So I went to a Vintage Stock today and bought an old collector's book/graphic novel of the "Death of Superman" story from the mid/late '90s. I remember reading this and having it when I was in highschool but in the intervening years those comics are either long gone or in a box somewhere at the parent's house.

Anyway, I was flipping through the issue -haven't read it yet- and something odd stood out to me that I don't quite remember.

Supergirl flies up to Doomsday to fight him and he punches her, we see her face plop out like it's play-dough and then this purple mass lands on the ground.

I'd still hit it.

Solstice November 8 2011 09:30 PM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
Quote:

Broccoli wrote: (Post 5335614)
Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 5335573)
Quote:

JoeZhang wrote: (Post 5335560)
At that stage, Supergirl was a shape-shifting piece of goo known as Matrix, she reverted to her normal form when Doomsday hit her.

lolwut

Stuff like this reminds me why I don't read comics anymore.

When did you stop? I'm curious, because comics have always been full of goofy shit like this since the beginning.

1999, 2000, thereabouts.

Quote:

Guartho wrote: (Post 5335904)
Quote:

Lindley wrote: (Post 5335591)
"At that stage, the Island was randomly hopping between different time/space coordinates and it only stabilized in the 1970s when John turned the frozen donkey wheel."

It's not just comics.

What's that from?

I think that's Lost but I'm just guessing.

Lindley November 8 2011 11:39 PM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
Indeed, it's how someone might try to describe the state of Lost circa season 5. The point is simply that any mythos has plot points that sound fairly wacky when removed from their context.

davejames November 9 2011 12:10 AM

Re: Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?
 
Never got the appeal of this version of Supergirl. Not that sympathizing with a shapeshifting glob of goo is all that out of the ordinary in the comic book world, but if I read a Supergirl story, I want it to be about Supergirl. Not some confused alien lifeform that's simply taking her form.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.