The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The official Michael Dorn weight loss thread! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=149359)

RAMA October 19 2011 03:56 PM

The official Michael Dorn weight loss thread!

Ok so there had to be one.

I think several things are clear...

1)Dorn is pretty tall, but doesn't have an overly large frame.

2) He was padded over the years, this padding seemed to increase in later seasons.

3) Dorn filled out a bit, but not to excess on his own over the years.

What seems likely is that Dorn, who does look somewhat smaller these days, decided to trim down a bit. I don't see anything to suggest he's ill, but know one seems to know for sure.

RAMA

MrPointy October 19 2011 04:21 PM

Re: The official Michael Dorn weight loss thread!

He became a vegan.

It's not a choice I'd make, but it worked well for him. Though he now looks like Gus Fring from Breaking Bad.

Saxman1 October 19 2011 05:16 PM

He has a recurring role on "Castle" as Beckett's shrink and looks EARLY TNG trim!

SchwEnt October 19 2011 11:17 PM

This thread is useless without pics???

erastus25 October 20 2011 06:13 AM

Oh man...watching that video I would have had NO IDEA he was Worf. Kudos to Mr. Dorn for being a good enough actor to pull that off.

WillsBabe October 20 2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

MrPointy wrote: (Post 5297977)
He became a vegan.

Handsome man. He looks good on it, I'd say.

Saxman1 October 20 2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

WillsBabe wrote: (Post 5299375)
Quote:

He became a vegan.

Handsome man. He looks good on it, I'd say.

My wife, who loves RIker/Frakes when he's fit, said Dorn was certainly handsome enough to have pulled off the Riker role...and that voice! Per her: :drool::drool::drool:

backstept October 20 2011 03:25 PM

I love Michael Dorn :D

RAMA October 20 2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

He became a vegan.

It's not a choice I'd make, but it worked well for him. Though he now looks like Gus Fring from Breaking Bad.

Ah that explains it vegans almost always look ill. My sister tried to become a vegan years ago, and she kept getting sick, she even had to go to a doctor for low blood pressure...he prescribed Gatorade for her.:lol:

Ln X October 21 2011 12:34 PM

Yeah Dorn did put on weight as TNG progressed, and you really noticed it on DS9. But it didn't detract from his Klingon appearance...

Saxman1 October 21 2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Ln X wrote: (Post 5301520)
Yeah Dorn did put on weight as TNG progressed, and you really noticed it on DS9. But it didn't detract from his Klingon appearance...

True, not a totally negative impact on the Klingon persona, but it was REALLY noticable when he played Willie Mays in "Far Beyond The Stars."

However, even at his worst, he never packed on the pounds like Frakes. Holy smoke! :eek:

Tom October 21 2011 09:13 PM

He was very thin when we had him last October at Hollywood Xpo, it was hard to be it was him.

You_Will_Fail October 21 2011 10:51 PM

His new figure ages him.

erastus25 October 22 2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Saxman1 wrote: (Post 5301895)
Quote:

Ln X wrote: (Post 5301520)

True, not a totally negative impact on the Klingon persona, but it was REALLY noticable when he played Willie Mays in "Far Beyond The Stars."

However, even at his worst, he never packed on the pounds like Frakes. Holy smoke! :eek:

haha...that's what makes TATV least convincing as a TNG era episode, in my opinion!

At least with Worf and Riker they were aging so weight gain made sense. Whereas with Data Spiner's weight gain (even if it was loss than others) really takes away from your suspension of disbelief.

Worf'sParmach October 23 2011 05:36 AM

I'm sorry, but it is so un-Klingon listening to Michael Dorn talk about dressing up veggie burgers :lol

But, I think he looks good and if he's healthier then that's all that matter.