The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=149332)

JediSpock October 18 2011 04:21 PM

Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
Hi everyone. I'm a big Trek fan from way back (I was always very partial to DS9), and I made this poster for one of my graphic design classes, and I thought I'd see what other fans thought. Since J.J.'s Star Trek has been compared so many times to the original Star Wars film, it inspired the following image. =)

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/.../treksmall.jpg

(Sorry it's so small. Photobucket seems to have reduced its size for their site!)

Avon October 18 2011 04:26 PM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
everythings too small, spread out and has a sort of 'randomly plonked down' vibe.

JediSpock October 18 2011 04:54 PM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
Ah, I see what you're saying. I'm ridiculously new at this, and I'm only in my first semester at school so far. And, I only had a limited amount of images to work with; I would've loved to have had higher-res photos to manipulate. Thanks for the feedback!

BillJ October 18 2011 05:50 PM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
Too busy and an obvious 'cut and paste' job. Need to run it through some filters or something.

But everyone has to start somewhere, nice first effort. :techman:

Cyke101 October 18 2011 05:55 PM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
Needs more Sulu.

JediSpock October 18 2011 08:48 PM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the critiques! I haven't much learned about filters yet, but we'll get there soon enough.

Gojira October 19 2011 12:52 AM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
Quote:

JediSpock wrote: (Post 5296460)
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the critiques! I haven't much learned about filters yet, but we'll get there soon enough.

In art I say the "less is more" approach works best most of the time. But you're off to a good start.

UssGlenn October 19 2011 02:47 AM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
you need to post a side by side of your image and the Star Wars poster you are duplicating, for the benefit of everyone who doesn't remember exactly what it looks like.

JediSpock October 19 2011 05:30 AM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
Ah, a side-by-side. Good call.

http://images.moviepostershop.com/st...1020189548.jpg http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/.../treksmall.jpg

Nerd unRage October 19 2011 05:43 AM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
Much better then anything I could ever hope to dream up but it is a bit busy. Some of the sizing ratios seem a bit off. I would only feature Kirk, Spock, and McCoy with Nero. Make the Enterprise a bit bigger as well since it is a re-imaging of the series. Also, if possible, I'd try to clean up the edging of the pictures used. It's really easy to see the lines so it comes off a bit clunky. Get rid of the rays-looking thing in the background.

Cyke101 October 19 2011 08:14 AM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
I would perhaps clean up the stars in the background. To me it further adds to the cluttered, disorganized vibe. The stars in the Star Wars poster are more sparse, and don't overwhelm the images.

Kpnuts October 20 2011 11:46 PM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
A decent first attempt. First job is to find a proper starfield background. Stars aren't a vibrant shade of blue.

The floating heads look silly and need to be feathered/faded in far more than they currently are. Those eight identical starships also look strange, remove half of them and add some variety with the remaining ones.

MarsWeeps October 22 2011 06:20 PM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
Quote:

JediSpock wrote: (Post 5296183)
Hi everyone. I'm a big Trek fan from way back (I was always very partial to DS9), and I made this poster for one of my graphic design classes, and I thought I'd see what other fans thought. Since J.J.'s Star Trek has been compared so many times to the original Star Wars film, it inspired the following image. =)

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/.../treksmall.jpg

(Sorry it's so small. Photobucket seems to have reduced its size for their site!)

The "Big 3" needs to be Kirk, Spock and McCoy, not Kirk, Spock and Uhura.

Try finding a more flattering picture of Pike, he looks too frail in that head shot for some reason.

Replace Scotty's love-creature with Sulu (who is noticeably absent)

Add a picture of Vulcan being destroyed.

That should do it for now. :)

C.E. Evans October 22 2011 08:20 PM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
Quote:

JediSpock wrote: (Post 5296183)
Hi everyone. I'm a big Trek fan from way back (I was always very partial to DS9), and I made this poster for one of my graphic design classes, and I thought I'd see what other fans thought. Since J.J.'s Star Trek has been compared so many times to the original Star Wars film, it inspired the following image. =)

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/.../treksmall.jpg

(Sorry it's so small. Photobucket seems to have reduced its size for their site!)

I think that looks great.
:bolian:

CaptainJack October 23 2011 07:27 AM

Re: Star Trek Poster for a graphic design class
 
The only thing you need to do is somehow fade each object a little into the backround. Maybe just make them less harsh on the outline of each object. Especially the bottom half of some of the more minor characters... Soften thats the word I was looking for.
Other than that Excellent job. Better than anything I could do and I've used Photoshop for 2-3 years.:techman:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.