The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Where Was Shatner At The Enterprise Shuttle Rollout? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=147883)

dmcco01 September 17 2011 07:23 PM

Where Was Shatner At The Enterprise Shuttle Rollout?

Today's the anniversary of the rollout of the Space Shuttle Enterprise and the pictures of the TOS actors at the event are all over the internet. Shatner is conspicuously absent. Anybody know the story behind that?

LAFR September 17 2011 09:43 PM

Re: Where Was Shatner At The Enterprise Shuttle Rollout?

His rug was in the shop getting rewoven.

Captain Robert April September 17 2011 11:13 PM

He was busy that weekend.

Ultramann September 19 2011 12:38 AM

Seriously, where was he really?

Josan September 19 2011 12:44 AM

Now I'm curious since he's the only one that didn't attend.

Therin of Andor September 19 2011 03:35 AM

Quote:

dmcco01 wrote: (Post 5231352)
Today's the anniversary of the rollout of the Space Shuttle Enterprise and the pictures of the TOS actors at the event are all over the internet. Shatner is conspicuously absent. Anybody know the story behind that?

Shatner made a habit of being absent from such high profile events, probably his agent holding out for an appearance fee. He was also absent from all the other actors' Hollywood Star Ceremonies (except Nimoy's and Roddenberry's), and more recently George Takei's wedding.

WHF September 19 2011 04:25 AM

He was probably the only one with a job at the time and had to work.

Captain Robert April September 19 2011 05:12 AM

^ Bingo. :techman:

Robert D. Robot September 19 2011 05:28 AM

The Shuttle Rollout event may have taken place on the same morning that the Thermians first "abducted" Shatner.

ClayinCA September 23 2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 5233628)
Quote:

dmcco01 wrote: (Post 5231352)

Shatner made a habit of being absent from such high profile events, probably his agent holding out for an appearance fee. He was also absent from all the other actors' Hollywood Star Ceremonies (except Nimoy's and Roddenberry's), and more recently George Takei's wedding.

He wasn't invited to Takei's wedding.

Captain Robert April September 23 2011 08:42 PM

^ In fact, he was specifically disinvited.

Kamdan September 24 2011 07:54 AM

He was LIVIN' IN HIS VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!

Josan September 24 2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Captain Robert April wrote: (Post 5243454)

I seem to recall Takei bitching that Shatner was invited and didn't reply/attend.

jk82 September 24 2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Josan wrote: (Post 5244737)
Quote:

Captain Robert April wrote: (Post 5243454)

I seem to recall Takei bitching that Shatner was invited and didn't reply/attend.

I remember seeing a video in which Takei was asked by a reporter whether he was going to invite Mr. Shatner to his wedding and he said something along the line "you know there are lots of people that we would like to invite so I am not sure whether Bill will make to the list"... What he said to the reporter was very inappropriate. Even if he later changed his mind and "sent" the invitation, that would have been totally insincere. And I doubt he actually sent the invitation anyway.

I am glad Mr. Shatner did not even bother arguing with Takei the other day on Howard Stern Show. All he said is "whatever you say, George." :)

Mr Silver September 24 2011 08:36 PM

The Shatner/Takei thing is pretty pathetic. I know that Shatner wasn't TOS cast's favourite person to be around, but after all these years, surely they can kiss and make up? James Doohan, who intensely disliked Shatner, buried the hatchet with him. From what I can tell, both men weren't keen on each other but when the cameras started rolling, their professional standard was so great that you could believe they were good friends.