The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   "Ghostbusters" Theatrical Re-Release for Halloween 2011! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=147745)

Frontier September 14 2011 12:52 PM

"Ghostbusters" Theatrical Re-Release for Halloween 2011!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51192

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=964238995162

:techman::techman::techman::techman::techman:

WHO YA GONNA CALL?

GHOSTBUSTERS!!

No details yet on how wide this re-release is going to be, but I'm definitely taking my 5 year old nephew!

I actually got to see GB on the big screen back in 2007 -- my local theater had a copy for a weekend for some reason, and of course I went. But this'll be awesome to see, especially if upgraded HD-ish or what not, but especially to take the nephew to. :)

The Scrooge Doctor September 14 2011 01:43 PM

Re: "Ghostbusters" Theatrical Re-Release for Halloween 2011!

Is it too much to hope for this to happen in Japan?

Kirkman1987 September 14 2011 02:02 PM

I can't see this being a wide release, but I'll check it out if it comes here.

The one thing that I hate about home theater is how it's killed Re-releases. I'm able to catch a few special screenings every year. Watching E.T. and Cool Hand Luke last year with a large audience was a great experience.

Timby September 14 2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Kirkman1987 wrote: (Post 5224323)

Right now, it's UK-only, since the distributor is based in the UK. This is also the company that handled last year's Back to the Future re-release, however, and that landed at AMC theaters.

But as Sony hasn't come out with any announcement yet as to whether it will be a wide release, and a middleman is handling the distribution, it currently looks as though this will be more of an "Is this theater going to request the print to show it or not" kind of thing -- and it would likely be limited to areas in which it would do extremely well.

Brikar99 September 14 2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Kirkman1987 wrote: (Post 5224323)

The one thing that I hate about home theater is how it's killed Re-releases. I'm able to catch a few special screenings every year. Watching E.T. and Cool Hand Luke last year with a large audience was a great experience.

There are some independent theatres near me that run older movies all the time, even if it's just for one or two nights. Just in the last year I've seen 'Die Hard,' 'Robocop,' 'The Terminator,' 'Office Space,' 'Fight Club' and 'Jurassic Park' all on the big screen.

Timby September 14 2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Brikar99 wrote: (Post 5224609)
There are some independent theatres near me that run older movies all the time, even if it's just for one or two nights. Just in the last year I've seen 'Die Hard,' 'Robocop,' 'The Terminator,' 'Office Space,' 'Fight Club' and 'Jurassic Park' all on the big screen.

What's the size of your market, though?

There are a lot of independent theaters that show older movies on a regular basis, but since the cost to rent the prints are so obscenely high, they're usually just projecting the DVDs (or, more recently, Blu-ray Discs). An independent theater here in Madison, Wis., advertised a RoboCop / Ghostbusters double feature not too long ago, but after I talked to the owners and found they were only projecting a 720x480 DVD onto a big screen, I said "Thanks, but no thanks." :p

davejames September 14 2011 05:56 PM

^ Man, I would kill to see a real print of Robocop on screen again. They could release the same movie today, and it would probably look just as cool and BADASS as anything else out there right now.

JD September 14 2011 06:37 PM

Hmm, I hope this comes to the US. My local theater shows some of the off stuff, like Ballet and Opera performances, so it wouldn't surprise if they did something like this too.

Brikar99 September 14 2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Timby wrote: (Post 5224621)
Quote:

Brikar99 wrote: (Post 5224609)

What's the size of your market, though?

There are a lot of independent theaters that show older movies on a regular basis, but since the cost to rent the prints are so obscenely high, they're usually just projecting the DVDs (or, more recently, Blu-ray Discs). An independent theater here in Madison, Wis., advertised a RoboCop / Ghostbusters double feature not too long ago, but after I talked to the owners and found they were only projecting a 720x480 DVD onto a big screen, I said "Thanks, but no thanks." :p

I'm just outside of Boston, so it's a pretty good market. And each of those screenings were advertised with 35mm prints. And they all looked pretty awesome, except for I saw 'Wrath of Khan' a couple months ago and it was pretty beat up in places. Maybe I'm just lucky to live in a good area, then, but I love these theatres.

Ethros September 14 2011 07:33 PM

I would say this is the best news ever, but that happened last year when BTTF was rereleased on the big screen. This is the second best news ever. Can't wait :techman:

Dream September 14 2011 08:08 PM

Meanwhile... Ghostbusters 3 STILL isn't being made. ;)

Brikar99 September 14 2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 5225292)
Meanwhile... Ghostbusters 3 STILL isn't being made. ;)

Honestly, at this point I consider that a good thing.

Harvey September 14 2011 08:17 PM

I saw a 70mm print of the film last Halloween and had a blast. The visual effects haven't stood the test of time at all, though. It's a testament to how good the rest of the movie is that it's lasted.

Timby September 14 2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 5225317)
I saw a 70mm print of the film last Halloween and had a blast. The visual effects haven't stood the test of time at all, though. It's a testament to how good the rest of the movie is that it's lasted.

Some hold up better than others. The neutron streams still look pretty great, as does basically everything in the climax. Even the Library Ghost looks pretty good, nowadays. Slimer, however, looks like utter ass. Really, it's more a testament to how so much was done practically, as opposed to other methods.

davejames September 14 2011 09:11 PM

It's really only the stop motion used for the demon dogs that looks dated to me. The rest of the effects hold up really damn well, I think.