The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Bryan Fuller making Hannibal Lecter series! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=147675)

Temis the Vorta September 12 2011 10:11 PM

Bryan Fuller making Hannibal Lecter series!

Bryan Fuller's Hannibal series.

Quote:

Hannibal will explore the early relationship of Thomas Harris’ signature character, renowned psychiatrist Dr. Hannibal Lector, and his patient, a young FBI criminal profiler named Will Graham, who is haunted by his ability to empathize with serial killers.
Sounds like an excellent topic for Fuller! :bolian: I wonder if Showtime might be eying it at a Dexter companion or replacement? No indication where it's showing, but I certainly hope it won't be on broadcast.

Dream September 12 2011 10:23 PM

Re: Bryan Fuller making Hannibal Lecter series!

We will be waiting for ten seasons for Hannibal to finally eat someone. :rommie:

PsychoPere September 12 2011 10:34 PM

As of this time last year, Fuller was still in a two-year production deal with Universal Media Studios, though I can't find any reference beyond that point to whether or not he's still signed with USM or is with another production company now.

Christopher September 12 2011 10:47 PM

Seems an odd match for Fuller. Sure, he's done shows with a macabre focus before, but they've been comedies with supernatural/magic-realist elements.

IndyJones September 12 2011 11:22 PM

Love Bryan Fuller's shows. Hate that they tend not to last.

Broccoli September 12 2011 11:49 PM

What a terrible idea for a TV series. I mean, I don't have any idea on how it could possibly be sustainable.

Professor Zoom September 13 2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Broccoli wrote: (Post 5221144)
What a terrible idea for a TV series. I mean, I don't have any idea on how it could possibly be sustainable.

And the thing is... it feels like an old idea... we've had 4 movies... and only one of them was really good. And Silence was SUCH a classic, and... I don't know.

It could be good, but, what a shadow to have to stand in.

Goliath September 13 2011 12:56 AM

I actually think they got three good movies out of this character and concept. Though only one of them was truly great.

This could be good. It's the only period of Lecter's life that hasn't been explored, in print or on screen. And it was the most active period of his career, so to speak. If they handle it well, it would be interesting to watch their two stories intertwine.

Or, it could be really bad. Either way, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Temis the Vorta September 13 2011 01:05 AM

Quote:

Don't watch Dexter?

I just thought of the perfect guy for Hannibal: Wentworth Miller. He's already played the younger version of a character Anthony Hopkins played as an older man, he's proven he can be the charismatic lead in a TV series, he can do subtle/scary very well, and is currently between series.

For the other guy, oh I dunno. I'd like to see Nick Stahl in something.

Trekker4747 September 13 2011 01:23 AM

Isn't Brian Fuller the one who has a habit of coming up with great TV series ideas, writing the first few episodes and then leaving/getting fired leaving the series in less capable hands who manage to not live up to the standards set by Fuller and the series quickly degrades until it's canceled a season later?

Further more, isn't Hannibal Lecter that movie character that was introduced to the world like two decades ago and is only memorable due to a remarkable performance by a remarkable actor but beyond that isn't much more (Setting aside the books) as the sequel(s) that came afterwards were about as deep as water puddle on a kitchen counter?

Yeah.

Why is this new series idea exciting?

Obiwanshinobi September 13 2011 02:12 AM

Quote:

Temis the Vorta wrote: (Post 5221255)
Quote:

Don't watch Dexter?

I just thought of the perfect guy for Hannibal: Wentworth Miller. He's already played the younger version of a character Anthony Hopkins played as an older man, he's proven he can be the charismatic lead in a TV series, he can do subtle/scary very well, and is currently between series.

For the other guy, oh I dunno. I'd like to see Nick Stahl in something.

What about the guy from Hannibal Rising?

Starbreaker September 13 2011 02:16 AM

Anthony Hopkins should narrate.

Harvey September 13 2011 02:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't watch Dexter?

Sure, and the series has become a poster child for premises unsustainable on television. It hasn't been consistently good since the second season (and some might even quibble about that year), and has quite annoyingly been both re-treading old ground and delaying plot advancement in order to be a TV series and not something with a shorter run.

Dream September 13 2011 03:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't watch Dexter?

Dexter kills people guilty of murder. Hannibal eats good and evil people alike. I don't think they can be compared at all.:rommie:

Mr. Adventure September 13 2011 03:09 AM

In the thread preview all I saw was "Bryan Fuller making Hannibal..." and I was thinking historical Hannibal. I'd rather it had been personally.