The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=147595)

JD September 10 2011 06:13 PM

First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
I just wanted to let everyone know that the first 20 pages, which includes all of Chapter 1 and part of 2, of the Typhon Pact ebook The Struggle Within is is now online on Simon & Schuster's website.

JWolf September 10 2011 06:20 PM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
For whatever reason, it's not working to display the content.

Cicero September 10 2011 07:36 PM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
It's working for me.

tmclough September 11 2011 01:33 AM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
Quote:

JWolf wrote: (Post 5216646)
For whatever reason, it's not working to display the content.

A pop-up window should appear, with a Flash program that displays the beginning of the book. I don't know how your web browser treats pop-ups, but if memory serves me correctly, you don't care too much for Flash. Either of those could be the source of your problem.

JWolf September 11 2011 01:39 AM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
Quote:

tmclough wrote: (Post 5217311)
Quote:

JWolf wrote: (Post 5216646)
For whatever reason, it's not working to display the content.

A pop-up window should appear, with a Flash program that displays the beginning of the book. I don't know how your web browser treats pop-ups, but if memory serves me correctly, you don't care too much for Flash. Either of those could be the source of your problem.

The popup window does popup, everything seems to load except the text.

But it working now. Maybe a glitch on the S&S site.

Christopher September 11 2011 03:21 AM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
When I tried it, I had to wait maybe 10-15 seconds before the excerpt appeared in the viewer.

JD September 11 2011 03:43 AM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
Yeah, it was kinda slow for me too. I was just about to try reloading it when it finally popped up.

Deranged Nasat September 11 2011 02:37 PM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
Some nice word-play from T'Ryssa. :lol:

TerraUnam September 12 2011 12:54 AM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
Ah, that's exactly what I needed. Thank, I have my fix now.

BrotherBenny September 13 2011 02:34 AM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
That really whetted my appetite for the book.

I am looking forward to it even more now.

JAG September 13 2011 10:43 AM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
I enjoyed that thoroughly. Looking forward to the whole thing.

Sci September 13 2011 09:28 PM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
Very much enjoyed it. Looking forward to the full story. Liked the bit about how the head of state of the Talarian Republic is called the Commander-in-Chief. Between the Federation President, Klingon Chancellor, Romulan Praetor, Cardassian Castellan, Ferengi Grand Nagus, Breen Domo, Tzenkethi Autarch, Gorn Imperator, Tholian Ruling Conclave, and Talarian Commander-in-Chief, I do believe that we now have the title of the head of state or government for every major Alpha/Beta Quadrant state save the Kinshaya. (Unless that's revealed later in the story.)

Slightly curious about how so many protestors got into a ceremony with the Commander-in-Chief though. That would be like Code Pink crashing an event with the President of the United States; security is so tight they'd never get anywhere near the event. How'd the women get past Talarian security in the first place?

Christopher September 13 2011 11:14 PM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
Quote:

Sci wrote: (Post 5222987)
Very much enjoyed it. Looking forward to the full story. Liked the bit about how the head of state of the Talarian Republic is called the Commander-in-Chief.

It seemed that the Talarians were a militaristic society and would most likely have a military government.


Quote:

Slightly curious about how so many protestors got into a ceremony with the Commander-in-Chief though. That would be like Code Pink crashing an event with the President of the United States; security is so tight they'd never get anywhere near the event. How'd the women get past Talarian security in the first place?
That's somewhat explained on p. 20, and clarified further later on.

Paris September 14 2011 01:57 PM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
Great little blurb! I can't wait to read the whole thing. Any chance that this will get the dead tree treatment in the near future??

Christopher September 14 2011 02:16 PM

Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Avaiable on S&S.com
 
Quote:

Paris wrote: (Post 5224313)
Any chance that this will get the dead tree treatment in the near future??

People keep asking me that, but it's not really a reasonable question. It's meant to be an e-book. E-books are a much bigger thing now in the market than they were a few years ago, and this is Simon & Schuster's attempt to get back into that market with Trek. And it's only 25,000 words. It's a novella, not a novel. It's way, way too short to be published as a standalone book.

If it does well, there will probably be more e-books, in which case, maybe, eventually, years from now, there may be enough for a print collection, once the last 8 Corps of Engineers e-books and Slings and Arrows have seen print and once there's a gap in the schedule. Eventually. Someday. But in the near future? No way. That doesn't even make sense.

It's an e-book. That's what it's meant to be. That's the market it's specifically designed for. And I wish people would just accept that.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.