The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Voyager (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Why did Chakotay Choose to be with seven instead of janeway? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=147391)

Lorthos September 6 2011 06:03 AM

Why did Chakotay Choose to be with seven instead of janeway?

It seemed to me that Chakotay and janeway had a much better chemistry going on between them than him and seven. I just wonder why he chose her over janeway.

Jeff O'Connor September 6 2011 06:04 AM

Re: Why did Chakotay Choose to be with seven instead of janeway?

Behind-the-scenes chest-thumping on the part of Robert Beltran, I'm told.

But I'm sure someone else can either back that up or prove it incorrect.

HoneyBLilly September 6 2011 06:15 AM

^^

What Jeff said.

Admiral Shran September 6 2011 06:17 AM

Two reasons....

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1315286211

See them? :p

Lorthos September 6 2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Admiral Shran wrote: (Post 5208116)

Lmao yeah my girlfriend told me he got with her cause she was better looking. :guffaw:

Skywalker September 6 2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Jeff O'Connor wrote: (Post 5208089)
Behind-the-scenes chest-thumping on the part of Robert Beltran, I'm told.

I don't get how Beltran could have ever had that kind of pull. Frakking Harry Kim was more important to the show than Chakotay was.

Deks September 6 2011 10:17 AM

There was 'talk' of Robert Beltran being unhappy with how his character was underused on the show.
I don't know whether this is accurate or not, or how it translates into him having a relationship with 7.

There was a foreshadowing of this in 'Human-Error' though because 7 made a decision in the end to date Chakotay.
And the 'cargobay picnic' was apparently their 4th date.

So, they could have been dating for at least 2 to 4 weeks before Engdame commenced.
And when 7's cortical node experienced issues because of a too high emotional state, she said it would be inefficient to resume with the relationship (which she apparently decided to at least but on a back-burner).

JanewayRulz! September 6 2011 11:21 AM

But even Jeri Ryan IIRC said that the C/7 thing came out of the blue. She had asked TPTB during Human Error and Natural Law if there was going to "be" something between C/7 and was assured the answer was "no".

JoeZhang September 6 2011 11:35 AM

He was having a middle life crisis and decided to date the hot young chick - if the show had continued, he would have got an ear-ring, a pony-tail and a motorbike.

And let's face it, with those borg implants, Seven more than likely could suck like a hoover.

Lorthos September 6 2011 02:08 PM

Well he did a great job of leading her on for years hah:cardie:

AuntKate September 6 2011 04:39 PM

They didn't know what to do with a plot that didn't have Seven in the lead--and even though the finale was obviously coming up that whole season, they couldn't decide who would die (because that is the new way to end all Trek series--hence Trip's death in the TNG conclusion of ENT).

At first, it was going to be Seven, for sure, but what a downer that would be. So, instead, they brought back Admiral Janeway for the Red Shirt Supreme--assimilated and killed, not a downer at all because we still have the captain carrying on for her.

However, Seven couldn't just sit around filing her nails, so what to do? Pair her up with Chuckles for some much-needed "romantic" action in what has to be one of the lamest B plots in history. Don't bother with any sort of build up for them as a couple or worry about a complete lack of previous chemistry between the two characters. The fact that it is the fourth date should erase four years of lukewarm friendship. Ignore the touching and very effective "Human Error" that finally made Seven a character one could feel sorry for because certain aspects of humanity were forever beyond her reach.

It's the finale, so who cares about continuity or whether this "romance" would screw up two characters as we knew them? The producers had moved on to a better, edgier ENT that would make VOY look like slop.

Right? :guffaw:

Markira September 6 2011 07:56 PM

^ I haven't finished watching ENT. :eek:

Shatnertage September 6 2011 08:17 PM

They were struck on a planet together, alone, with no hope of getting off it. Chakotay built her a bathtub, cooked her dinner, and gave her backrubs. Janeway never stopped trying to get off the planet.

I think she made it pretty clear she didn't want anything to do with him romantically.

MatthiasRussell September 6 2011 08:44 PM

Seven and the Doctor were the obvious choice. They had been developing that one from the beginning. They were at similar stages in their emotional development and the Doctor clearly had romantic feelings for her.

Similarly, Chakotay and Janeway were being developed to be a couple for years but trek doesn't like captains in committed relationships. The episode where the 2 were facing being stranded alone in a planet showed the attraction plainly.

Seven was hot but had the emotional level of a teenager. I don't think the relationship made sense to anyone but I don't think it was Beltran's decision but a production one. Fortunately the books tried to refocus on Chakotay/Janeway but they seemed to have forgotten about Doctor/Seven.

Lorthos September 6 2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Shatnertage wrote: (Post 5208930)
They were struck on a planet together, alone, with no hope of getting off it. Chakotay built her a bathtub, cooked her dinner, and gave her backrubs. Janeway never stopped trying to get off the planet.

I think she made it pretty clear she didn't want anything to do with him romantically.

That's true. I didn't think about that one.