The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Nichelle Nichols Interview (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=146332)

Smellincoffee August 12 2011 06:05 AM

Nichelle Nichols Interview

While trying to find a podcast featuring Neil deGrasse Tyson, I found out that he hosts a show called "Star Talk", and that he's recently (10, 17 July) interviewed Nichelle Nichols about her role in Star Trek and its influence on society. I've not yet listened, but Tyson is a fairly popular and enthusiastic science advocate who is currently producing a new series inspired by Cosmos. Planning on listening myself tomorrow.

Josan August 12 2011 06:50 AM

Re: Nichelle Nichols Interview

Hmm. I wonder if the MLK story has been revised again.

Mr Silver August 12 2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Josan wrote: (Post 5157551)
Hmm. I wonder if the MLK story has been revised again.

:lol:

That was the first thought I had when I saw the thread title!

Captain Robert April August 13 2011 03:35 AM

I'm still waiting for someone to dig up a clip from back when the chat with MLK was just a hypothetical "What would Dr. King say?" kind of mind game.

Mysterion August 13 2011 03:38 AM

Fun Fact: MLK suggested Star Trek to Gene Roddenberry specifically to get Nicelle Nichols on television.

Nerys Myk August 13 2011 04:23 AM

Fun Fact: MLK was rooming with Nichelle when she came home after a bad day at work ready to quit. He talked her out of it.

Jonas Grumby August 13 2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 5159519)
Fun Fact: MLK was rooming with Nichelle when she came home after a bad day at work ready to quit. He talked her out of it.

That's the old version. Her new version is: MLK was rooming with Nichelle when he came home after a bad day working for justice and equality ready to quit. She talked him out of it. :D

Nerys Myk August 13 2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Jonas Grumby wrote: (Post 5160217)
Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 5159519)

That's the old version. Her new version is: MLK was rooming with Nichelle when he came home after a bad day working for justice and equality ready to quit. She talked him out of it. :D

Well the version I just heard is that MLK was rooming with Nichelle when she suggested he quit his job and begin working for justice and equality.

Captain Robert April August 13 2011 08:13 PM

MLK's FBI file cites "Justice" and "Equality" as two strippers in a Birmingham strip club in the late 50's...

Josan August 13 2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Captain Robert April wrote: (Post 5160531)
MLK's FBI file cites "Justice" and "Equality" as two strippers in a Birmingham strip club in the late 50's...

:guffaw:

That's just brilliant!

T'Girl August 13 2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Mysterion wrote: (Post 5159449)
Fun Fact: MLK suggested Star Trek to Gene Roddenberry specifically to get Nicelle Nichols on television.

Roddenberry: So, make Nichelle Nichols the captain? I like the idea.
Rev. King: No, make Nichelle the switchboard operator.
Roddenberry: Okay. But we'll have Nichelle lead landing parties and carry a laser pistol.
Rev. King: No, no, no. Have Nichelle sit in the back of the room and repeat the same line in every episode.
Roddenberry: That would be a funny bit, I'll get to screw Nichelle, right?
Rev. King: Solid.

:)

Nerys Myk August 13 2011 08:48 PM

Nichelle danced under the name "Freedom".

Smellincoffee August 13 2011 09:43 PM

I listened to the interviews last night. The first is the MLK story. She said that she joined Star Trek as resume-filler for her hoped-for theatrical aspirations, and after the first season she'd been offered a promising role in a theatre production and decided to leave to follow that. However, while attending a NAACP meeting MLK asked to meet her and stressed the importance of her role as Uhura, after which point she went back.

The second interview is about her work with NASA, including recruiting women and "people of color".

Jonas Grumby August 13 2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Captain Robert April wrote: (Post 5160531)

Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 5160567)
Nichelle danced under the name "Freedom".

Finally, Nichelle's MLK story gets interesting.

I wish she would start embellishing her NASA stories. There's some real potential there! ;)

Joker August 13 2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Smellincoffee wrote: (Post 5157502)
... Nichelle Nichols about her role in Star Trek and its influence on society...

"Influence on society".

The usual circle-jerk crap, in other words.