The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   TOS: Cast No Shadow by James Swallow Review Thread (Spoilers!) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=145363)

Thrawn July 22 2011 05:40 PM

TOS: Cast No Shadow by James Swallow Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I'm reading that it's out in some stores, so here you go :)

Mark spoilers for at least the first month or so.

Evil Headhunter July 23 2011 08:16 AM

Re: Star Trek: Cast No Shadow Review Thread

Damn, this is out already? I guess I should go to Amazon and order it.

Reanok July 23 2011 08:07 PM

I ordered my copy I liked James Swallows ds9 books I'm really looking forward to reading this book.:techman:

bok2384 July 23 2011 09:09 PM

Just a quick question to anyone who might know. Rumor has it that T'Prynn will feature in this novel and, if she does, does Cast No Shadow contain any spoilers pertaining to Star Trek: Vanguard after Open Secrets?

Apologies if its a dumb question. :)

kc5hwb July 24 2011 05:45 AM

Ordered it today and will have it on the 27th.

James Swallow July 24 2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

bok2384 wrote: (Post 5119241)
Just a quick question to anyone who might know. Rumor has it that T'Prynn will feature in this novel and, if she does, does Cast No Shadow contain any spoilers pertaining to Star Trek: Vanguard after Open Secrets?

Where did you hear that?

I can categorically state that T'Prynn does not appear in any way in Cast No Shadow, nor does the book have any connection to the Vanguard series...

bok2384 July 24 2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

James Swallow wrote: (Post 5120914)
Quote:

Where did you hear that?

I can categorically state that T'Prynn does not appear in any way in Cast No Shadow, nor does the book have any connection to the Vanguard series...

Thanks for getting back to me and I'm glad that I'll be able to enjoy this novel when it is released.

As for the rumor, I'm not too sure. It's plausible that I heard that Elias Vaughn was going to feature and knowing that he was a colleague/acquaintance of T'Prynn, I made the connection in my own mind. My apologies. :)

ToddCam July 24 2011 11:16 PM

Just finished it. Pretty good!

Question for James Swallow:

Mage July 25 2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

ToddCam wrote: (Post 5121096)
Just finished it. Pretty good!

Question for James Swallow:

Todd, without spoiling, does this novel deal a lot with the political situation in this period, since it's only a few years after the Praxis incident and the Khitomer Accords?

FatherRob July 25 2011 02:13 PM

Got my copy on Friday. Only 122 pages in so far, but it's been a rockin' 122 pages!

Rob+

ToddCam July 25 2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Mage wrote: (Post 5121959)
Todd, without spoiling, does this novel deal a lot with the political situation in this period, since it's only a few years after the Praxis incident and the Khitomer Accords?

It does deal with the political situation. Without spoiling it's difficult to say how much.

JD July 25 2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

FatherRob wrote: (Post 5122082)

Well, now I have another reason to look forward to reading this book, not that I'm saying that's a bad thing.:bolian:

FatherRob July 25 2011 08:54 PM

So far, this reminds me of one of those books I'd normally read in a sitting or two, but the timing is lousy at this point to accomplish that. Right now I am limited to reading on my lunchbreak and for about an hour at home (our 21 month old's bedtime is getting later and later as she ages). However, it's really filling my taste for a good Lost Era type voyage to this point!

Turtletrekker July 26 2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

bok2384 wrote: (Post 5120952)
Quote:

James Swallow wrote: (Post 5120914)
Quote:

Where did you hear that?

Thanks for getting back to me and I'm glad that I'll be able to enjoy this novel when it is released.

As for the rumor, I'm not too sure. It's plausible that I heard that Elias Vaughn was going to feature and knowing that he was a colleague/acquaintance of T'Prynn, I made the connection in my own mind. My apologies. :)

According to the dates established in Mission Gamma: Lesser Evil, Vaughn and T'Prynn didn't work together until 2319.

Jedi_Master July 27 2011 04:15 AM

Finished the book last night.

Great stuff.

Four out of five light-sabers.

The book primarily deals with a plot to derail the peace between the Klingon Empire and the Federation following the signing of the Khitomer Accords.

The book features Valeris, the disgraced Lieutenant from Star Trek VI, a much younger Elias Vaughn, and several other new characters.

The pacing is rapid and concise, with several "flashbacks" that reveal a great deal about the motivations and thoughts of Valeris herself.

The book is an easy read, and a great one - off adventure. Swallow does a good job answering some of the unanswered questions in Star Trek VI.

The terrorist plot was refreshingly free of overly political references to the current "War on Terror".

All in all a good read, and nice addition to the Star Trek Literature library.