The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   TOS Voice-Over Actor? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=145006)

cblmc1296 July 15 2011 04:03 AM

TOS Voice-Over Actor?

I have wondered for a long time who did the voice-overs on TOS such as in Amok Time, when the Enterprise assumes orbit:

V-O: " USS Enterprise from Vulcan Space Central. Permission granted. And from all of Vulcan, welcome. Is Commander Spock with you?"

This voice is heard in a fair number of TOS episodes but I've never managed to find any mention of who provided that voice. Tonight, I happened upon "Futureworld" - the silly 1976 sequel to Michael Crichton's excellent '73 film "Westworld" and I could swear I heard that same voice in the robot control-room.

I always thought it sounded a little like Gunter Meisner (Slugworth from "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory... but I can't imagine it's him.

Can anybody shed any light? Thanks!

LLAP

KirkPicard July 15 2011 04:09 AM

Re: TOS Voice-Over Actor?

Walker Edmiston was the talent and also provided his voice in "The Corbomite Maneuver" as the voice of Balok, "A Taste of Armageddon" as Eminiar Security voice, "Friday's Child" as voice of SS Dierdre, and "The Gamesters of Triskelion" as Provider #2 voice

number6 July 15 2011 04:36 AM

I don't think he over-acted at all.

cblmc1296 July 15 2011 04:41 AM

Quote:

KirkPicard wrote: (Post 5098993)
Walker Edmiston was the talent and also provided his voice in "The Corbomite Maneuver" as the voice of Balok, "A Taste of Armageddon" as Eminiar Security voice, "Friday's Child" as voice of SS Dierdre, and "The Gamesters of Triskelion" as Provider #2 voice

Wow! Thank you! That's kinda bugged me for a while now. I guess I can sleep tonight! LOL!

cblmc1296 July 15 2011 04:42 AM

Quote:

number6 wrote: (Post 5099046)
I don't think he over-acted at all.

Ok then... voice under actor. ;-)

DeepSpaceWine July 15 2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Edmiston was also the voice of Inferno in Transformers (the 80s cartoon).

I didn't know who did that voice over, but I know the voice over for the 70s/80s Incredible Hulk series was Lurch from the Addams Family.

Captain Robert April July 15 2011 05:44 AM

Quote:

Um, Ted Cassidy did the voice of the puppet Balok, while Vic Perrin dubbed Clint Howard's Balok.

HarryM July 15 2011 06:39 AM

One that I've always wondered about is the voice of the Tantalus colony control, I think it was Elizabeth Rogers ("Lt Palmer") but never was able to find out for sure. She also did the voice of the Companion.

Captain Robert April July 15 2011 06:43 AM

^ I think you're right on that one.

cblmc1296 July 15 2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Captain Robert April wrote: (Post 5099146)
Quote:

Um, Ted Cassidy did the voice of the puppet Balok, while Vic Perrin dubbed Clint Howard's Balok.

Vic Perrin (who was probably best known for the prologue voice-over on "The Outer Limits") also did the voice of Nomad if I remember correctly and he appeared on screen as Tharn in Mirror Mirror. For some reason though, his voice credits were always easier to find than the one I originally inquired about.

cblmc1296 July 15 2011 02:15 PM

Oh, and I think Vic Perrin voiced the Metron in Arena also.

HaventGotALife July 15 2011 02:24 PM

Didn't Doohan do some voice overs or was that just in the Animated Series?

Christopher July 15 2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

HaventGotALife wrote: (Post 5099648)
Didn't Doohan do some voice overs or was that just in the Animated Series?

Doohan did Sargon's voice in "Return to Tomorrow," the M5 in "The Ultimate Computer," the Melkotian buoy in "Spectre of the Gun," and the Oracle in "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky and My, This Is an Awfully Long Title, Isn't It?"

Sir Rhosis July 15 2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Captain Robert April wrote: (Post 5099146)
Quote:

Although I had heard that for years, most sources (Memory Alpha, Wikipedia) now agree that it was Edmiston, not Perrin who dubbed the "real" Balok. Before his death Edmiston asserted same.

Sir Rhosis

cblmc1296 July 15 2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Sir Rhosis wrote: (Post 5099692)

Although I had heard that for years, most sources (Memory Alpha, Wikipedia) now agree that it was Edmiston, not Perrin who dubbed the "real" Balok. Before his death Edmiston asserted same.

Sir Rhosis

Just went back and listened to the V-O for Clint Howard's Balok and I am convinced. The characteristics of that voice are much more like the Amok Time & Tase of Armageddon voice-overs. I guess it is Edmiston.