The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Gaming (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Did anyone ever play Starfleet Academy on the P.C? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=144294)

Infern0 June 29 2011 04:10 AM

Did anyone ever play Starfleet Academy on the P.C?

I had this game when I was a Kid, it was pretty cool I thought, you played as the captain of a crew of cadets doing Holodeck missions, it was also kind of a "choose your own story" game where FMV videos played and your decisions affected the story. The best part was the appearances from Shatner and company it was great to see them again and they actually put some effort into their performances.

The game came on 6 discs and included a novelisation of the game which was a fun read.

http://www.cdaccess.com/gifs/shared/...rge/starfl.jpg

yochenhsieh June 29 2011 07:49 AM

Re: Did anyone ever play Starfleet Academy on the P.C?

Quote:

Infern0 wrote: (Post 5066403)
I had this game when I was a Kid, it was pretty cool I thought, you played as the captain of a crew of cadets doing Holodeck missions, it was also kind of a "choose your own story" game where FMV videos played and your decisions affected the story. The best part was the appearances from Shatner and company it was great to see them again and they actually put some effort into their performances.

The game came on 6 discs and included a novelisation of the game which was a fun read.

In fact, it's 5 discs, plus 1 expansion "Chekov's Lost Missions" which must be purchased separately.

The movie clips and music are really nice, but poor control makes it difficult to play on PC.

Infern0 June 29 2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

yochenhsieh wrote: (Post 5066713)
Quote:

In fact, it's 5 discs, plus 1 expansion "Chekov's Lost Missions" which must be purchased separately.

The movie clips and music are really nice, but poor control makes it difficult to play on PC.

I remember seeing Chekovs Lost Missions on vacation and pleading with my parents to get it for me (i was like 9 or 10 at the time) but they wouldnt, i never saw it again, might ebay it just to see what it was all about

Noname Given June 29 2011 08:40 PM

Yep, owned it, and played it quite a bit (along with "Chekov's Lost Missions" when that add-on was released.)

LutherSloan June 29 2011 11:30 PM

At one point I had Klingon Academy (which I believe was the last game in that series) and it had something ridiculous like 6-8 disks.

yochenhsieh June 30 2011 05:00 AM

Quote:

LutherSloan wrote: (Post 5068434)
At one point I had Klingon Academy (which I believe was the last game in that series) and it had something ridiculous like 6-8 disks.

Klingon academy has 6 discs, the first is used for install game and others for the video clips.

I never played any game that has more than 6 discs, though.

Haggis and tatties July 1 2011 10:32 AM

Still have them both......I even have the USA DVD version of SF academy.....and the original sound track cd.

Oh and you can take your six original Klingon Academy discs and put them onto one DVD.

http://www.klingonacademy.com/view.php?pg=kadvd

CaptJimboJones July 1 2011 01:47 PM

Was there a version of this game on console? I vaguely recall playing a Starfleet Academy game on a Super Nintendo many years ago.

Haggis and tatties July 1 2011 02:33 PM

Yeah there was a Snes version and sega 32x version, with no movie cut scenes or the graphical detail of the PC, although they were still very playable.

speckledpig July 1 2011 03:41 PM

I really enjoyed Starfleet Academy. The FMV sequences were well produced; everyone should see them just because of the production quality. It felt like a real film.

SA, however, paled in comparison to Klingon Academy with its advanced technology. The "ginsu" method of damage was very effective and well implemented. I remember following the forums for quite a while into the development of Bridge Commander. There was a guy from Paramount (Harry?) who would join in the discussion frequently.

Tirius July 1 2011 07:07 PM

This was my very first Star Trek pc game. The cutscenes and music were really nice, and I liked the stories behind the missions. I later got the Lost Missions add-on at a discount sale, but I don't think I ever managed to beat all of its missions. (I remember one with a bunch of old ships stuck in orbit somewhere, where I always ran out of time.)

Borjis August 11 2011 06:12 AM

Quote:

Haggis and tatties wrote: (Post 5071358)
Still have them both......I even have the USA DVD version of SF academy

Hey I'm curious, was the DVD version playing higher quality videos of the cut scenes?

years ago I met the guy that played the vulcan cadet, he was in town for an acting job.

Haggis and tatties August 11 2011 10:19 AM

Yeah the DVD version clips were of a higher quailty which is no doubt why the disc uses 7 gig of space, the problem is that the movies are in some DVD decoding Interplay proprietary video format, and even though it states on the box is MPEG2 i have never been able to run the game totally, all i have managed to do is get the game running but no movie clips would play.

mic of orion August 11 2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

http://www.cdaccess.com/gifs/shared/...rge/starfl.jpg

YES and I still have the original CD:D

Mr_Homn September 8 2012 10:38 PM

Is this playable on windows 7 ? I cant find any info on that