The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science and Technology (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The DARPA 100 Year Starship (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=143808)

John O. June 18 2011 12:07 AM

The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
I'm surprised I hadn't seen this posted here yet -

http://www.100yss.org/index.html

Actually saw an article about it in a news magazine and then found the original website. I may submit an abstract of the nuclear propulsion system I'm working on for my PhD.

Shatnertage June 18 2011 01:30 AM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
That's pretty cool. I wish I had the kind of background that would let me contribute more than saying, "that's pretty cool."

KJbushway June 18 2011 01:31 AM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
Agreed.

sojourner June 18 2011 05:57 AM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
This being done by DARPA is just weird. It feels like something they would do in the Stargate setting to attract characters like Eli.

Aaron McGuire June 18 2011 06:08 AM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
Quote:

sojourner wrote: (Post 5043385)
This being done by DARPA is just weird. It feels like something they would do in the Stargate setting to attract characters like Eli.

That would only make this already cool sounding symposium even cooler.

Aaron McGuire

CuttingEdge100 June 19 2011 08:43 PM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
Assuming it's not classified, what kind of ship are they designing?

RAMA June 20 2011 05:37 PM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
I love THIS NEWS...AWESOME

JiNX-01 June 20 2011 08:09 PM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
Quote:

Shatnertage wrote: (Post 5042993)
That's pretty cool. I wish I had the kind of background that would let me contribute more than saying, "that's pretty cool."

Me too!

FPAlpha June 20 2011 08:54 PM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
Quote:

CuttingEdge100 wrote: (Post 5046434)
Assuming it's not classified, what kind of ship are they designing?

Just from a cursory glance at their site i think the first steps are not about building an actual ship but to research the basics of long time/long distance projects, i.e. how can people live within this ship for several generations and sustain the mission and how can this be funded.

Actual engineering is "only" the last step after they've figured out how to successfully complete the mission.

Pretty cool stuff.

John O. June 20 2011 11:44 PM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
Yeah they've already had a deadline asking for "Requests for Information" in which they want people to submit ideas for how such a 100 yr organization might be built, funded, sustained, etc.

Also, I sent it on to my PhD advisor - he's given me the green light to submit our research abstract and present if it's selected, woot!

Shatnertage June 21 2011 12:01 AM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
Great!

ThankQ June 21 2011 08:24 AM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
Should we send the Trek ep about turning shit into boots?

Or how about that one where Kes needed soil samples for a hydroponics bay?

STR June 21 2011 09:35 AM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
Quote:

John O. wrote: (Post 5048959)
Yeah they've already had a deadline asking for "Requests for Information" in which they want people to submit ideas for how such a 100 yr organization might be built, funded, sustained, etc.

Also, I sent it on to my PhD advisor - he's given me the green light to submit our research abstract and present if it's selected, woot!

Are you allowed to tell the general public (schmucks like the rest of us on this board) a little bit about your proposal? I'm curious.

RAMA June 25 2011 06:01 AM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
OK already beaten to it...

http://www.tauzero.aero/

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5605/slide05.th.jpg


Quote:

CuttingEdge100 wrote: (Post 5046434)
Assuming it's not classified, what kind of ship are they designing?

Probably like Tau Zero's

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/8755/slide06.th.jpg

sojourner June 25 2011 07:29 AM

Re: The DARPA 100 Year Starship
 
DARPA isn't building anything. If you read the site you'll see that it's just a study in how to develop a path to develop the technologies needed to eventually build a ship.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.