The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Enterprise (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   The Expanse - wot the heck?!? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=143656)

Gaith June 14 2011 11:14 PM

The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
I went off to boarding school during the S3 run, so "The Expanse" was the last ENT I saw as it aired until the last stretch of S4. So it naturally seemed to me that, since the ep ended with the ship flying into a purple could, symbolizing the weirdness of the Expanse, the whole thing would look more or less like that - like the Briar Patch.

But noooo, I just watched "The Xindi" - not impressed, but that's another matter - and while the promised anomalies are sorta there, the space itself looks normal.

Fail. Like, massive fail, man. So big it darn near puts me off watching the whole season, when compounded with all the other weak writing and etc. If you're gonna do a "Bermuda Triangle" of space, somewhere so weird and dangerous we've never heard of it before, and Vulcans wet themselves just thinking about it, why on Earth would one not give it at least a touch of color, especially when you set that up in "The Expanse"?!?

Sigh. :( :p

Faldor June 14 2011 11:30 PM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
The first half of the season isn't great but the last 12 or so are more serialised and generally better.

King Daniel Into Darkness June 15 2011 11:48 AM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
Want weird space? Just wait until the spheres are activated.

lurok June 15 2011 12:17 PM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
Quote:

Gaith wrote: (Post 5035422)
Sigh. :( :p

Quote:

KingDaniel wrote: (Post 5036506)
Want weird space? Just wait until the spheres are activated.

Indeed. S1 & 2 had their rough spots, but I just found the whole Xindi arc boring.http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...andbored12.gif

King Daniel Into Darkness June 15 2011 12:23 PM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
I LOVED the Xindi arc. Enterprise at it's very best.

SonicRanger June 15 2011 03:04 PM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
The Xindi arc and ENT Season 3 was the last best season of Trek since DS9.

Freman June 15 2011 03:31 PM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
Yeah. While I loved all four seasons, Season 3 was one of the best.

Ensign_Redshirt June 15 2011 03:43 PM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
I think the first time the Xindi arc became interesting was around The Shipment/Twilight, the season's 7th and 8th episode.

Gaith June 15 2011 04:07 PM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
Quote:

Faldor wrote: (Post 5035456)
The first half of the season isn't great but the last 12 or so are more serialised and generally better.

Dammit! Purple space or it's no deal, and I finally watch Mad Men! :p

Skywalker June 15 2011 04:09 PM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
Quote:

SonicRanger wrote: (Post 5036681)
The Xindi arc and ENT Season 3 was the last best season of Trek since DS9.

And then Season 4 came along and was even better! ;)

I agree with Gaith that the Expanse should have looked more consistent with what was presented in "The Expanse." But don't let that stop you from watching the season, Gaith. It really is (for the most part) very good. Sometimes it seems like a completely different show from what was presented in the first two seasons.

SonicRanger June 15 2011 04:20 PM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
Quote:

Skywalker wrote: (Post 5036806)
Quote:

SonicRanger wrote: (Post 5036681)
The Xindi arc and ENT Season 3 was the last best season of Trek since DS9.

And then Season 4 came along and was even better! ;)

I agree with Gaith that the Expanse should have looked more consistent with what was presented in "The Expanse." But don't let that stop you from watching the season, Gaith. It really is (for the most part) very good. Sometimes it seems like a completely different show from what was presented in the first two seasons.

Notice I said "last" in my post. Season 4 was, on the whole, a disaster -- it became VOY with TOS/TNG-linked fanwanks.

Skywalker June 15 2011 04:29 PM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
I noticed it, I just chose to ignore it because I think you're wrong. :)

Ensign_Redshirt June 15 2011 06:18 PM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
Quote:

SonicRanger wrote: (Post 5036832)
Quote:

Skywalker wrote: (Post 5036806)
Quote:

SonicRanger wrote: (Post 5036681)
The Xindi arc and ENT Season 3 was the last best season of Trek since DS9.

And then Season 4 came along and was even better! ;)

I agree with Gaith that the Expanse should have looked more consistent with what was presented in "The Expanse." But don't let that stop you from watching the season, Gaith. It really is (for the most part) very good. Sometimes it seems like a completely different show from what was presented in the first two seasons.

Notice I said "last" in my post. Season 4 was, on the whole, a disaster -- it became VOY with TOS/TNG-linked fanwanks.

No, Seasons 1 and 2 of Enterprise were basically "Voyager in the 22nd century". Season 4 tried to be TOS with better special effects. And Season 3 was "Deep Space Nine meets Manny Coto's Odyssey 5". :p

lurok June 15 2011 06:25 PM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
^I'll go with that. Except S1 & 2 more "TOS in the 22nd century". Had similar humor, crew dynamic, charismatic captain. Never saw anything VOY like in ENT...

BlobVanDam June 15 2011 06:30 PM

Re: The Expanse - wot the heck?!?
 
Quote:

KingDaniel wrote: (Post 5036550)
I LOVED the Xindi arc. Enterprise at it's very best.

Yep. By far. The whole season built up nicely, and then BOOM. Space Nazis. Top that.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.