The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Teen Wolf-- surprisingly pretty good (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=143638)

davejames June 14 2011 05:14 PM

Teen Wolf-- surprisingly pretty good

Anyone else check this out yet? Saw the first two episodes and I have to say it's actually not that bad, and a pretty fun guilty pleasure.

It's certainly no Buffy, and it doesn't do anything terribly groundbreaking with the idea... but it's still MUCH more competent and better-executed than anything I've seen on the networks or Syfy in a long while (I'll take this over V or SGU any day).

And thankfully the romance doesn't come across nearly as sappy or cringeworthy as that in Twilight or that Vampire Diaries show either, and is actually kind of sweet. In fact the main kid and his goofy reactions reminds me a lot of David Naughton's in Werewolf in London for some reason.

Jetfire June 14 2011 05:52 PM

Re: Teen Wolf-- surprisingly pretty good

I was wondering about this...I like The Vampire Diaries. :angryrazz:

Greg Cox June 14 2011 06:21 PM

I've seen three eps so far and I'm enjoying it more than I expected. I think they're still trying to strike the right balance between high school stuff (the big game! double dating!) and the more serious horror stuff (dismembered corpses! secret werewolf hunters!), but it's basically working so far.

And I'm pleasantly surprised at how retro the werewolf makeup is. He's an old fashioned wolfman, not the obligatory CGI monster.

Obiwanshinobi June 14 2011 06:43 PM

Teen line! This is Nitro!

timothy June 14 2011 06:48 PM

what is the regular viewing night for it. I plan to watch all three episode later today on there web site.

Jetfire June 14 2011 06:50 PM

:wtf: I am sure it is advertised on their website. :confused:

[edit] http://www.mtv.com/shows/teen_wolf/s...m/g/teen+wolf/

davejames June 14 2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 5034928)
And I'm pleasantly surprised at how retro the werewolf makeup is. He's an old fashioned wolfman, not the obligatory CGI monster.

Yeah as much as I love a scary, Rick Baker-style werewolf, keeping the makeup more subtle definitely works better for a show like this. It still allows for some recognizable emotion when he's in his werewolf form, and it avoids having to deal with the torn clothes and him waking up naked in the woods all the time. lol

It'll be interesting to see if they can develop the mythology beyond just the werewolf hunters though. Unlike with vampires, it seems like there has never really been anything very rich or complex done for werewolves (unless it actually involved vampires as their enemies, which I HOPE doesn't happen here).

Vendikarr June 14 2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

timothy wrote: (Post 5034965)
what is the regular viewing night for it. I plan to watch all three episode later today on there web site.

It airs on Monday nights, at 10:00/9:00 central.

Checkmate June 14 2011 08:36 PM

I don't get why they wasted the resources securing the rights for Teen Wolf when it bears absolutely no resemblance whatsoever with the movies outside of the names of two characters, neither of whom are anything like their namesakes.

Greg Cox June 14 2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Checkmate wrote: (Post 5035120)
I don't get why they wasted the resources securing the rights for Teen Wolf when it bears absolutely no resemblance whatsoever with the movies outside of the names of two characters, neither of whom are anything like their namesakes.

Chances are, the studio already owned the rights, so why let them go fallow?

"So, about Teen Wolf. Maybe we ought do something new with those rights?"

"Like a more serious version?"

"Sure. That might work. Beats letting the property gather dust . . . ."

davejames June 14 2011 09:11 PM

I don't think there was a whole lot from the original worth keeping, personally. And the name fits, so why NOT use it?

Checkmate June 14 2011 09:27 PM

Because it was a stupid title to begin with? And the only purpose in using it is to draw in people familiar with the movie, only to deny them anything resembling it whatsoever? Which just makes it a huge, obnoxious deception not even remotely worthy of praise?

God fucking forbid someone come up with their own title.

Timelord Victorious June 14 2011 09:31 PM

Yeah, I know a good one: The young adult who was a wolf, too!
Totally works. ;)

davejames June 14 2011 10:21 PM

Some of the best genre shows have had really dumb or goofy titles (Doctor Who, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly). I don't pay much attention to it myself.

Spaceman Spiff June 14 2011 10:50 PM

I watched the first episode and liked it well enough. Maybe I'll watch the others this weekend.