The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Isaac Asimov? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=142746)

GalaxyClass1701 May 28 2011 01:42 AM

Isaac Asimov?

So for the last few tears my GF's grand mother who is a huge SCFI junky wanted me to read a series of novels by Asimov. I never got to do it and unfortunately she passed away a few weeks ago.

I feel terrible that I never read them so in her honor I will. My question us have you read books by this author and what is your opinion?

Flying Spaghetti Monster May 28 2011 02:04 AM

Re: Isaac Asimov?

I read the Three - er - four robot novels. They are very good. About a human plainclothes detective solving mysteries with a robot simiar to Data.

Admiral Buzzkill May 28 2011 02:07 AM

Never heard of him.

SinglePurpose May 28 2011 02:16 AM

The Foundation trilogy

Australis May 28 2011 02:16 AM

Dennis is being silly.

Asimov was one of the Big Three, with ACClarke and Heinlein - the shaped SF as we know it today, would be very, very different without them.

You've heard of the Three Laws of Robotics? He da man.

The Foundation series is one of the best known SF novel series ever, and for many years was at the top of everyones' lists, kind of a 'Citizen Kane' of SF.

Personally, I don't think he's a great prose writer by any means, but his big ideas sweep you along. And he won a stack of awards over the years.

Read his Wikipedia entry.

Greg Cox May 28 2011 02:17 AM

Start with I, Robot.

Velocity May 28 2011 02:22 AM

I miss Asimov. His good-natured personality shines through his work. He wrote a ton of books, not all of them science fiction.

Klaus May 28 2011 02:40 AM

I have a signed copy of Foundation that is my proudest geek possession... saw him speak twice. I'd second the Lije Bailey/Daneel Olivaw books for a good start -- start with The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun.

Captain Dago May 28 2011 02:48 AM

Quote:

Australis wrote: (Post 4994668)
Dennis is being silly.

Asimove was one of the Big Three, with ACClarke and Heinlein - the shaped SF as we know it today, would be very, very different without them.

Don't forget Ray Bradbury

Hound of UIster May 28 2011 02:56 AM

He didn't.

Bradbury just can't compare to the Big 3.

Admiral Buzzkill May 28 2011 02:57 AM

Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 4994671)
Start with I, Robot.

That's probably the best, yeah.

Bradbury doesn't belong with Heinlein or Asimov or Clarke, not necessarily as a matter of importance or quality so much as that he's a very different kind of writer and his influence has been in a different sphere. He has the advantage(?), of course, of being required reading in so many public school curricula. :lol:

Mysterion May 28 2011 03:13 AM

^^^
Agreed. I'd group Bradbury with Ellison, and...well, I can't think of a third for that particular group. LeGuin maybe?

More emotional writing as oppossed to the more sweeping/futuristic style of Asimov, Clarke and Heinlein.

Goliath May 28 2011 03:22 AM

I was never a big fan of Asimov, for some reason. Or any of the Big Three, for that matter.

I've read a number of Asimov's works, but they never left much of an impression on me. The last Asimov novel I read was The Gods Themselves, and I couldn't even tell you what that was about.

I was always a fan of Larry Niven, as a kid, in the 70s and early 80s, and got into the Cyberpunks as a young adult, in the late 80s and early 90s. Compared to them, Asimov's work seemed old-fashioned, dated, and even dull--at least, to me. YMMV, of course.

I do give him credit for his big ideas, as Australis mentioned. Among other things, it was a non-fiction article by Asimov that gave Larry Niven the idea for one of his very best short stories, the Hugo award-winning "Neutron Star." Asimov himself discusses this here.

Greg Cox May 28 2011 03:24 AM

Quote:

Mysterion wrote: (Post 4994788)
^^^
Agreed. I'd group Bradbury with Ellison, and...well, I can't think of a third for that particular group. LeGuin maybe?

More emotional writing as oppossed to the more sweeping/futuristic style of Asimov, Clarke and Heinlein.

Sturgeon?

Admiral Buzzkill May 28 2011 03:29 AM

Sturgeon belongs with them, yeah - and possibly with the "big three" as well. :lol:

Asimov was, as has been noted, an unusually humane writer for a guy who came up through the pulps. He didn't write much in the vein of adventure fiction and violence in his stories was occasional and generally had drastic personal consequences - he didn't have a Starship Troopers in him. ;)