The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Are there any good books with Greek mythological characters? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=142378)

JD May 21 2011 07:06 AM

Are there any good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
I love Greek mythology and lately I've been in the mood for a modern novel with Greek mythological elements in it. The only ones I know of right now are the Percy Jackson and the Olympians/Heroes of Olympus series, and some other Something of Chaos series I found will looking around on wikipedia. But, I read a review that said the Something of Chaos deal with alot of submission/dominance kinda stuff, and I am not into that. Are there any others that are worth reading?

Hound of UIster May 21 2011 07:51 AM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
Mary Renault's the King Must Die/Bull From the Sea is about Theseus King of Athens

Also Incredible Hercules 113-141 by Greg Pak and Fred Van Lethe is a very good comic books series about Hercules in the modern world as a superhero.

Also the Iliad by Homer, it's great poem. The prose translation is very good too.

Gaith May 21 2011 07:54 AM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
Are good books with Greek mythological characters?


Steak.

Nerys Myk May 21 2011 08:23 AM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
Olympos and Ilium by Dan Simmons.

Hyperspace05 May 21 2011 08:27 AM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 4979662)
Olympos and Ilium by Dan Simmons.

Quoted for truth. An epic SF duology featuring practically all the characters of the Illiad. Achilles and Odysseus in particular are great characters in the novels.

Darth_Daver May 21 2011 08:36 AM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
Quote:

Hyperspace05 wrote: (Post 4979665)
Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 4979662)
Olympos and Ilium by Dan Simmons.

Quoted for truth. An epic SF duology featuring practically all the characters of the Illiad. Achilles and Odysseus in particular are great characters in the novels.

So if Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion is right now among my top 5 scifi books ever, you say I should read Olympos and Ilium as well? :vulcan:

sojourner May 21 2011 09:32 AM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
Um, why the :vulcan:? It's not like you posted earlier in this thread stating your love for the Simmon's books.

Darth_Daver May 21 2011 09:44 AM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
Okay, I guess these smileys don't convey my "funny vulcan face" :) sorry :)

Klaus May 21 2011 12:16 PM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
Soldier of the Mist and its sequels by Gene Wolfe...

Whofan May 21 2011 03:17 PM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
The Incredible Hercules

JD May 21 2011 03:49 PM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
I realized when I started the thread that I wanted to open this up to comics too, there seem to be quite a few with alot of mythological stuff in them. Doesn't Wonder Woman also have some of the Greek Gods in it?

Nerys Myk May 21 2011 03:57 PM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
Quote:

JD wrote: (Post 4980007)
I realized when I started the thread that I wanted to open this up to comics too, there seem to be quite a few with alot of mythological stuff in them. Doesn't Wonder Woman also have some of the Greek Gods in it?

Yes, the Amazons and her mother Hippolyte are characters from the Greek Myths. Her powers are gifts from the Gods.

Hound of UIster May 21 2011 04:38 PM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
Quote:

Darth_Daver wrote: (Post 4979673)
Quote:

Hyperspace05 wrote: (Post 4979665)
Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 4979662)
Olympos and Ilium by Dan Simmons.

Quoted for truth. An epic SF duology featuring practically all the characters of the Illiad. Achilles and Odysseus in particular are great characters in the novels.

So if Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion is right now among my top 5 scifi books ever, you say I should read Olympos and Ilium as well? :vulcan:

Dan Simmons is sadly another writer that went crazy after 9/11.

Ilium was good. Everything fell apart in Olympos and he played to some of the worst right wing muslim cliches.

Professor Zoom May 21 2011 07:00 PM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 4979662)
Olympos and Ilium by Dan Simmons.

I liked the first one VERY much.

The second was a HUUUGGGGEE disappointment.

JD May 22 2011 12:13 AM

Re: Are good books with Greek mythological characters?
 
I was looking around at the DC comics Amazons, and I saw there was one named Artemis who took the Wonder Woman title for a while. So is she the Goddess or just an Amazon named after the Goddess?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.