The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Transporters Yay/Nay (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=142243)

Butters May 18 2011 08:49 PM

Transporters Yay/Nay

So you're at the technology fair and on display is the world's first teleport, Star Trek style. As we all know, it scans the original, destroying it in the process, and reconstitutes it elsewhere. Lots of people are trying it out and they all seem unharmed by the experience. You're offered a trip to anywhere and back again. What do you say?

BillJ May 18 2011 08:54 PM

Re: Transporters Yay/Nay

Hell no.

Distorted Humor May 18 2011 09:11 PM

Nope, but I would figure out how to split the stream so to speak so another copy is created elsewhere. Tom Riker will not be alone. That, and I would be afraid of something like Whipping star happening....

C.E. Evans May 18 2011 09:14 PM

Yes. The person who emerges at the end of the process will still be me in every way that counts--same looks, memories, beliefs, and skills. It'd be a different story if that wasn't the case, but otherwise I don't have a problem being dematerialized in one place and rematerialized somewhere else. The cells in my body now aren't the same ones I was born with anyway...

Timo May 18 2011 09:26 PM

..I won't mind having my suddenly truncated life continued by my identical twin. Especially if the teleporter really takes me "anywhere" and back, rather than just a few thousand kilometers away like its Trek counterpart. With suitable protection, I'd love to do a quick tour of the various highlights of our own solar system, then take a trip to somewhere spectacular and distant like the place in "Where No One Has Gone Before".

Timo Saloniemi

Rom's Sehlat May 18 2011 09:36 PM

I would be one of the people who want its testing to proceed, but I would wait for thousands of people to go through it before me.

scotpens May 18 2011 11:02 PM

Before stepping onto that thing, I'd make damn sure there wasn't a fly within a hundred feet of me.

SchwEnt May 18 2011 11:33 PM

I know it's never been shown to be true in ST.
But you know what? I bet it HURTS to be transported.

Your body is dematerialized while you're conscious.
How can it NOT hurt?

What, your brain is concurrently disintegrated so that prevents the pain from registering as a sensation?
And what of the after effects?

Hawku May 19 2011 01:28 AM

I'd try it, but I'd need a few drinks first.

Tiberius May 19 2011 02:36 AM

As long as whatever comes out the other end isn't me, I won't. Even if it's an exact copy of me, I won't.

Colonel Midnight May 19 2011 02:37 AM

It wouldn't a transporter thread unless we have this wonderful quote from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

Quote:

I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
:)

Cheers,
-CM-

Mr. Laser Beam May 19 2011 02:51 AM

We have seen in "Realm of Fear" that a person's consciousness continues unharmed throughout the transport process, so I don't see the downside here. You don't die and get replaced by a duplicate of you; your *body* is duplicated, but your mind - soul, if it were - stays the same.

BillJ May 19 2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 4974276)
We have seen in "Realm of Fear" that a person's consciousness continues unharmed throughout the transport process, so I don't see the downside here. You don't die and get replaced by a duplicate of you; your *body* is duplicated, but your mind - soul, if it were - stays the same.

Which makes no sense. The thing essentially disintegrates you.

Mr. Laser Beam May 19 2011 02:56 AM

^ Well, if you get right down to it, NO part of the transporter makes sense in a scientific way. But we have to go with what they show us. :shrug:

sbk1234 May 19 2011 04:54 AM

I sure as hell wouldn't be one of the first on that damn thing. Maybe after a few hundred thousand have safely gone through...