The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Stargate (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   SGU needed Flashbacks, not Stones (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=141892)

Morpheus 02 May 11 2011 10:53 PM

SGU needed Flashbacks, not Stones

For me, one of the things that bothered me about SGU was the lack of connection to the previous series...and what i mean is this:
presumably, the military personnel were on teams either with SG Command and/or Atlantis. Surely they had experiences or learned life lessons that would have helped.

Now i'm not suggesting they should have had a Lost-style format with flashbacks EVERY week. But if they're going to borrow nuBSG's "feel", why not another genre show?

They could have used ANY Stargate character -- or even none at all. Either way, it would have relayed to me that the characters are truly in the same universe at the others shows, and that SG-1 or the Atlantis command team weren't the only competant people.

To me, the stones were a cheap & convenient way to do earth based stories. (though the last couple were pretty dramatic...it still bothers me how it's very big deal to gate inbetween Destiny & Earth, but like nothing for the stones)

Skywalker May 11 2011 10:57 PM

Re: SGU needed Flashbacks, not Stones

I agree. I hated the stones.

Uncle Tobias May 11 2011 11:02 PM

Would have been cool, I agree.

The Wormhole May 11 2011 11:37 PM

I agree SGU should have had flashback, or at the very least a flashback episode, I would not have eliminated the stones. Remaining in contact with Earth was a good idea, they just should have used the stones more logically than the idiotic things we saw.

Agent Richard07 May 12 2011 12:07 AM

The stones were an absolutely fantastic concept and a nice addition to the series. I wouldn't want them gone.

Samurai8472 May 12 2011 12:54 AM

Flashback's would seem too LOST/BSG

Broccoli May 12 2011 05:24 PM

Weren't people complaining when flashbacks were used in the first episode?

Robert Maxwell May 12 2011 05:29 PM

I didn't mind the stones as a concept, just the way they were used for cheap soap opera antics.

Morpheus 02 May 12 2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Broccoli wrote: (Post 4958321)

Maybe because they did't have the Lost flash back sound effect?

DarKush May 12 2011 06:18 PM

I thought the stones were a neat concept, but they overdid them. If I had had my druthers there wouldn't have been any stones, or if there had been, the effects of using them would be more deleterious (sp), to prevent common use. I think the stones minimized the sense of isolation, loneliness. I think having Universe cut off from Earth was one of the things that made it different, but similar to Atlantis, they reestablished contact with Earth quickly and I think they lost something as a result.

I wouldn't have minded flashbacks but not overdoing that either, like the Event did at first.

TiberiusMaximus May 12 2011 06:29 PM

Flashbacks? No, what they needed was musical montages, in which nothing significant happens and pop music...oh, wait. Nevermind.

If they had used flashbacks, we would have complained and made fun of and criticized those, too.

Harvey May 12 2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

You'll have to refresh my memory, but didn't that episode just use flashbacks in order to pointlessly mix up its chronology, rather than to reach back and illuminate the characters' history?

Meredith May 12 2011 07:18 PM

The flashbacks could be explained by the ship screwing with people testing them to see if they were "worthy".....

Broccoli May 12 2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 4958591)
Quote:

You'll have to refresh my memory, but didn't that episode just use flashbacks in order to pointlessly mix up its chronology, rather than to reach back and illuminate the characters' history?

Both.

AJ86 May 12 2011 09:46 PM

Yeah, there were also some TJ flashback IIRC. I think they used flashbacks more in Lost though, for the Greer backstory. They also shot a load for TJ in The Hunt that had to be cut for time.