The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Death of Air Bender 2? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=139852)

Mr Light April 5 2011 12:43 AM

The Death of Air Bender 2?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49137

Quote:

Will Smith has found another project to be involved in with his son, and it sounds suitably epic - a large scale science-fiction film to be directed by M. Night Shyamalan. The plot centers around a young boy, along with his estranged father, who have to navigate an abandoned, devastated Earth 1000 years in the future after crashing their spaceship.

The script will be written by Shyamalan and co-writer Gary Whitta (THE BOOK OF ELI). Looks like Shyamalan may be getting back into his own material again. To quote M. Night, "The chance to make a scary, science-fiction film starring Jaden and Will is my dream project."
Those kids aren't getting any younger. If MNS is working on this for the next year or so, does this effectively kill the chances of Air Bender 2?

Of course, they did say in that movie that the Day of Black Sun was ?three? years away, giving them some leeway in the aging if they take awhile to get it made.

Or even better, could this mean a different director could make 2 and 3?

I still want to see the live action movies, no matter how bad the first one was.

bigdaddy April 5 2011 01:23 AM

Re: The Death of Air Bender 2?

I think the fact the first one made no money is what killed the movie, but maybe that just me.

Yes, the movie made no money, "But it made 300 million dollars!", while nice doesn't mean anything if the movie cost $180 million and the ads cost $150 million then you made no money.

All this says is that MNS is going to be the death of movies.

Dream April 5 2011 02:15 AM

I freaking hate MNS. If we had gotten any other director, we probably could have gotten a good trilogy over the next few years.

Merky April 5 2011 02:34 AM

Airbender deserves to be dead as long as MNS is heading the project. I will never forgive him for the fuckery I saw in theaters.

Starbreaker April 5 2011 02:41 AM

I read this today: Does Will Smith not want Wild Wild West to be considered his worst film anymore?

:lol:

CaptainCanada April 5 2011 02:42 AM

Quote:

Starbreaker wrote: (Post 4862633)
I read this today: Does Will Smith not want Wild Wild West to be considered his worst film anymore?

:lol:

I suspect he's looking to test the limits of his ability to attract filmgoers.

Admiral Buzzkill April 5 2011 03:38 AM

There's no reason that a sequel to a movie needs to have the same director.

That said, fuck the Airbender movies.

Harvey April 5 2011 05:28 AM

Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 4862474)
Yes, the movie made no money, "But it made 300 million dollars!", while nice doesn't mean anything if the movie cost $180 million and the ads cost $150 million then you made no money.

The movie made $319 million worldwide off a reported $150 million budget. Assuming prints and advertising were equal to the film's production budget, it still reached profitability. Add to that ancillary revenues (home video, television) and it no doubt made the studio a healthy (if not overwhelming) sum.

That said, by all accounts the movie was a disaster. I certainly have no interest in seeing it, or any live-action follow-up that is a direct sequel to Shyamalan's movie. I agree with Dennis.

Mr Light April 5 2011 01:10 PM

Don't forget about all the toys it sold! It's all about the toys, these days. $6.99 for a 50 cent hunk of plastic?

OmahaStar April 5 2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 4862474)
I think the fact the first one made no money is what killed the movie, but maybe that just me.

All this says is that MNS is going to be the death of movies.

tsk tsk ... We talked about this. Why are you still trying to do "math" when you know you suck at it?

bigdaddy April 5 2011 04:04 PM

150 million plus 180 million equals less than the movie made.

But why use math when people aren't bright enough to figure it out?

Merky April 5 2011 04:11 PM

I wouldn't count breaking even as a full profit.. Paramount probably expected 500 mil at the box offices and were disappointed it only broke even.

Paramount learned their lesson. Thank god the ST reboot didn't end up like Avatar... god I would have slit my wrists.

Admiral Buzzkill April 5 2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 4863768)
150 million plus 180 million equals less than the movie made.

But why use math when people aren't bright enough to figure it out?

Go ahead and pursue the math a little further - what was their percentage of net profit against outlay, here?

Making films is a risky business - as the old saw has it, getting into movie financing is a likely way to make a small fortune...out of a large one. People invest in movies because there's a shot at making a lot of money, a big return on their investment. They're not inclined to invest in sequels to a film that cost an enormous amount to produce and promote and which returned a small profit - what if the next one winds up costing a little more and making a little less.

Welcome to Hollywood math 101.

exodus April 5 2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Merky wrote: (Post 4863775)
I wouldn't count breaking even as a full profit.. Paramount probably expected 500 mil at the box offices and were disappointed it only broke even.

Agreed.
I think the regular viewing audience of "Avatar's" Nickelodeon cartoon was enough to bring in money to break even. It was that plus the combined profit to be made off the mass public they were expecting.

Mr. Adventure April 5 2011 04:47 PM

Judging by the reception of the first film I'm surprised the fate of the sequel is even in question.

That said, the video shelf at my Blockbuster was empty for weeks so maybe it did really well on video?