The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   STAR TREK BADLANDS (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=139395)

timothy March 28 2011 03:22 AM

STAR TREK BADLANDS

susan wright's duolgy is it worth reading ?
:confused::confused::confused:

shanejayell March 28 2011 04:52 AM

Re: STAR TREK BADLANDS

I didn't really like it, honestly. It was very predictable, and because each chapter was a flashback, there was no feeling of jeopardy in the emergencies they were dealing with.

timothy March 28 2011 05:03 AM

is this the same author who did dark pasions dulolgy ?

shanejayell March 28 2011 05:05 AM

I didn't read Dark Passions, so I dunno.

(The title 'Dark Passions' amuses me. It sounds like a soap opera.)

Dancing Doctor March 28 2011 07:06 AM

Yes, Susan Wright is the one who also wrote the Dark Passions duology (which, in my opinion, deserves a follow-up. I really enjoyed those two books).

And I thought the Badlands duology was okay. I do agree with shanejayell about the predictability and lack of jeopardy.

T'Ressa Dax March 29 2011 08:30 PM

It's been so long that I barely remember. I think they were okay.

ProwlAlpha March 29 2011 09:26 PM

I thought Badlands was terrible and Dark Passions was okay due to the lesbianism.

Turbo March 31 2011 03:15 AM

I actually liked Badlands. For once, a generation-spanning story actually had a good method of tying TOS to the modern series. The TNG segment was rather weak, though, and the VOY segment would have been better if it had just focused on the Maquis. The TOS and DS9 segments were both pretty good.

Janos February 27 2013 03:11 AM

When does the DS9 component happen? Before the end of the TV series?

I believe the Voyager one is pre-TV series.

TNG & TOS components happens when?

Is this duology as reviled as the last few posts?

James T. Vader February 27 2013 05:43 AM

I started reading it, Kirk was in Sickbay and TOUCHED HIS COMBADGE. I was done. If you are that clumsy i don't want to keep going

TJ Sinclair February 27 2013 08:38 AM

^Yeah, that's a typical error of Susan Wright's work, honestly. Beyond those kinds of lack-of-attention-to-detail issues, her plots are generally weak, her characters wooden, and her prose is mind-numbingly bland at best and completely asinine at worst.

Nothing she's ever written is worth reading. I gave it several tries, including her Voyager novel Violations, the TOS Gateways book One Small Step and Starfleet Academy: The Best and the Brightest, and yes, The Badlands. Every single one of them is a complete and utter nightmare. She's, IMO, the worst Trek novelist in history.

bfollowell February 27 2013 09:59 AM

I've never read any of her work other than the Dark Passions duology, but that was more than enough for me. To me, it was some of the worst TrekLit that I've ever read. When I look at some of the other non-Trek novels that she's written, I have to ask myself, who the heck thought she might be a good fit for TrekLit?!

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

- Byron

James T. Vader February 27 2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

bfollowell wrote: (Post 7738462)
I've never read any of her work other than the Dark Passions duology, but that was more than enough for me. To me, it was some of the worst TrekLit that I've ever read. When I look at some of the other non-Trek novels that she's written, I have to ask myself, who the heck thought she might be a good fit for TrekLit?!

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

- Byron

You mean, "Hi I'km Susan WRight and I"m Bi-Sexual, therefore EVERY FEMALE IN THIS BOOK WILL BE TOO?"

Those books were the worst.

Christopher February 27 2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Janos wrote: (Post 7737226)
When does the DS9 component happen? Before the end of the TV series?

Fifth season, shortly before "In Purgatory's Shadow" (i.e. the time when Bashir had been replaced by a Changeling).

Quote:

I believe the Voyager one is pre-TV series.
Right. Both it and the VGR installment of the similar The Brave and the Bold crossover duology are crammed into the brief period between Janeway getting command of Voyager and the ship getting lost in the Badlands. (I believe the B&tB one is chronologically first.)

Quote:

TNG & TOS components happens when?
As far as I recall or can determine, the TOS installment is your typical late-5-year-mission setting, while the TNG is sometime in the 5th season of that show, about three years before the VGR portion and five years before the DS9 portion.

Csalem February 27 2013 05:41 PM

These were one of the earliest Trek books I bought and enjoyed them at the time but now all I can remember about the TNG portion was Riker being shaved by Deanna...