The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica & Caprica (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   There's a new map of the BSG star system... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=135887)

Wereghost January 24 2011 10:15 PM

There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
...and a high-res image on IO9. It looks kind of cool and interesting, though purists will note that there are now four stars in the system and not three as stated by the hybrid in The Plan. :rolleyes:

David cgc January 25 2011 01:49 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
Well, "twelve battles, three stars" can mean a lot of things.

Gep Malakai January 25 2011 01:52 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
^Like what? I know what it sounds like it's supposed to mean...

It is sort of odd, though, that Espinson would get it wrong if they were working the quadrupedal star system thing out during BSG's run. So maybe it as supposed to mean something else.

pst January 25 2011 02:07 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
yeah good catch there with the three stars.

but uh, i have to imagine there were more than 12 battles anyway. so that hybrid was full of it.

SD70ACe January 25 2011 02:56 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
Or they hadn't figured out four stars by the time The Plan was in production.

Solstice January 25 2011 03:39 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
Four stars? Really? :lol:

Gep Malakai January 25 2011 03:45 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
Well, technically two binary star systems that are rather close together. The article does say they based it on a real double-binary system.

Marc January 25 2011 04:18 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 4685324)
Four stars? Really? :lol:

The Colonial's system must of been really good.

Either that or it had been tortured by Cardassians.

fett51 January 25 2011 04:31 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 4685324)
Four stars? Really? :lol:

Could've been worse, there's a seven star system in Cassiopeia :p

That map is full of oddities. Caprica and Gemenon orbit each other, and Aerilon and Canceron share an orbit in the Lagrange points of a star and a large gas giant, for instance. Speaking as an astrophysics geek, this is certainly one weird set of systems, but it's not impossible. The only one that bugs me is Scorpia and Libran, their orbits/planetary conditions look too close.

Solstice January 25 2011 05:08 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
Quote:

fett51 wrote: (Post 4685404)
Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 4685324)
Four stars? Really? :lol:

Could've been worse, there's a seven star system in Cassiopeia :p

That map is full of oddities. Caprica and Gemenon orbit each other, and Aerilon and Canceron share an orbit in the Lagrange points of a star and a large gas giant, for instance. Speaking as an astrophysics geek, this is certainly one weird set of systems, but it's not impossible. The only one that bugs me is Scorpia and Libran, their orbits/planetary conditions look too close.

There's no reason you can't have a lot of stars grouped together in one system, it just strains credibility that you could have planets in stable orbits--much less have them be habitable--in such a system.

Hanukkah Solo January 25 2011 06:39 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 4685453)
Quote:

fett51 wrote: (Post 4685404)
Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 4685324)
Four stars? Really? :lol:

Could've been worse, there's a seven star system in Cassiopeia :p

That map is full of oddities. Caprica and Gemenon orbit each other, and Aerilon and Canceron share an orbit in the Lagrange points of a star and a large gas giant, for instance. Speaking as an astrophysics geek, this is certainly one weird set of systems, but it's not impossible. The only one that bugs me is Scorpia and Libran, their orbits/planetary conditions look too close.

There's no reason you can't have a lot of stairs grouped together in one system, it just strains credibility that you could have planets in stable orbits--much less have them be habitable--in such a system.

Yeah, but this is BSG, so...God did it. :shifty:

6079SmithW January 25 2011 06:44 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
^But, as BSG has taught us, sometimes the miraculous happens and we get a bizarre set of coincidences that seem almost divine. God has a plan for everything and He made the system, as is, so that it was a suitable place for humanity to settle on post-Kobol.

I am only half joking because the speculation that the system is stable and viable for humans, even in its somewhat weird configuration, is due to God willing it to be so is a completely valid argument in context of the BSG-verse.

*edit* Damn it! Skywalker said it more straightforward than me. I concur. God did it. :p

vampgrrl January 25 2011 07:19 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
Well remember, they are using old BSG as a basis for this...

There is no way to place so many habitable worlds so close together and it not look odd.

Silvercrest January 25 2011 08:16 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
Quote:

6079SmithW wrote: (Post 4685620)
^But, as BSG has taught us, sometimes the miraculous happens and we get a bizarre set of coincidences that seem almost divine. God has a plan for everything and He made the system, as is, so that it was a suitable place for humanity to settle on post-Kobol.

I am only half joking because the speculation that the system is stable and viable for humans, even in its somewhat weird configuration, is due to God willing it to be so is a completely valid argument in context of the BSG-verse.

*edit* Damn it! Skywalker said it more straightforward than me. I concur. God did it. :p

You know it doesn't like that name.

Hanukkah Solo January 25 2011 08:21 AM

Re: There's a new map of the BSG star system...
 
Quote:

6079SmithW wrote: (Post 4685620)
*edit* Damn it! Skywalker said it more straightforward than me. I concur. God did it. :p

Sorry, dude! Didn't mean to make you type all that for nothing. :lol:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.