The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charles (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=135740)

firehawk12 January 22 2011 09:08 AM

Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charles

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/191...series-in-2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ew-series.html

I was wondering if Bob or someone would post the news. Maybe I missed it and there's a thread staring me in the face. :lol

Anyway, Charles says in an interview that they're going to start filming at the end of the year.

I honestly don't know what to think. I mean, Back to Earth was fairly bland, but yet I still want more of the show. I'm really part of the problem. :p

Bob The Skutter January 22 2011 09:13 AM

Re: Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charl

To be honest, this is kinda non-news. 2 series were announced last year, this is just "we've got our arses in gear and the contracts are in place" I think. Doug Naylor and Robert Llewellyn have had a bit of back on forth on twitter lately before it was confirmed that made it obvious, then Craig was on the radio and it "just slipped out".
Apparently they're hoping to do it in front of an audience. Which is a good thing.

Ar-Pharazon January 22 2011 09:39 AM

I had the impression filming was to start early this year instead of late, but still looking forward to new Dwarf.

firehawk12 January 22 2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Bob The Skutter wrote: (Post 4678600)
Apparently they're hoping to do it in front of an audience. Which is a good thing.

I can't even remember - was 8 in front of an audience after the experiment of 7?

Bob The Skutter January 22 2011 09:57 AM

^I think parts of 8 were, some like 7 were just shown to audiences and their laughter recorded. But in my opinion 7 and BTE are the worst and neither were filmed with an audience, so perhaps that's a clue as to it being better of with an audience.

As for filming early this year, that was the rumour but contracts didn't get sorted, and Craig Charles has commitments with Coronation Street, so I assume that's the reason for the change.

Mr Light January 22 2011 01:37 PM

As much as I was extremely disappointed with "Back to Earth", I'll always look forward to new Dwarf, in the hopes that they get it right this time :p

But I won't believe it's happening until they're filming WITH CAMERAS. Remember the movie they were gonna make? They were actually doing rehearsals for it and it never happened!!!

Bob The Skutter January 22 2011 02:05 PM

^The difference being the movie was struggling with funding all along. This new series has been picked up, and now contracts are in place, from one of the biggest digital TV channels. So completely different situations.

trekkiebaggio January 22 2011 03:52 PM

Back to Earth was horrible but hopefully they can recapture the magic of classic Dwarf.

Admiral_Young January 22 2011 05:45 PM

I still need to see Back to Earth but I'm kind of hesitant given all the negativity towards it.

firehawk12 January 22 2011 09:31 PM

Having finally opened by Blu-ray set recently, I can say it's not as bad as I thought it was when I first watched it. It's still cringe-worthy at times, in a very fan-wank kind of way, but for a single mini-series event it probably could have been much worse.

auntiehill January 23 2011 12:31 AM

Watching Back to Earth was so very painful; it just wasn't funny at all. I'm not sure I want to see any more Red Dwarf; I'd rather remember it the way it was.

Still, I suppose the new might be wonderful; there's always hope.

Serial thread killer January 23 2011 01:40 AM

Do we know if they are getting a new set of writers, Instead of just Doug Naylor?

Bob The Skutter January 23 2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

auntiehill wrote: (Post 4679871)
Watching Back to Earth was so very painful; it just wasn't funny at all. I'm not sure I want to see any more Red Dwarf; I'd rather remember it the way it was.

Still, I suppose the new might be wonderful; there's always hope.

I thought there were parts of BTE that were actually pretty good, though it's definitely a low point.

Quote:

Serial thread killer wrote: (Post 4679967)
Do we know if they are getting a new set of writers, Instead of just Doug Naylor?

I don't think so. Nothing I've heard seems to point to that, anyway.

Guy Gardener January 23 2011 11:39 AM

Back to earth wasn't funny.

but I'll tell you what was funny.

The next time afterward that I watched Blade Runner.

There was half a dozen jokes from Back to Earth that I suddenly "got".

By the way... Sophie Winkle.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

ColeMercury January 23 2011 01:14 PM

"Back to Earth" is much much better in the one-hour "Director's Cut" form on DVD than in the broadcast three-parter form. It flows better.

Personally I think Series VII was much better than VIII. It has its problems (e.g. whiny Kryten, hastily-done CGI) but the overall story quality is better. And after shifting to a comedy-drama feel for VII, the shift back to sitcom in VIII feels like a step backwards.