The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Skrain or Elmo Dukat? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=135712)

apenpaap January 21 2011 11:44 PM

Skrain or Elmo Dukat?

In the Relaunch novels, Dukat's first name is Skrain. But, according to Memory Alpha Ronald D. Moore frequently said Dukat's first name was Elmo when someone asked him about it. Leaving aside the fact that he was obviously joking, which name do you prefer? Skrain Dukat, Elmo Dukat, or will he always just be Gul Dukat to you?

Gul Re'jal January 22 2011 12:07 AM

Re: Skrain or Elmo Dukat?

For my Polish ears "Skrain" sounds like finger nails on a blackboard :shivers:

Avon January 22 2011 12:34 AM

I like to think his first name is Gul. like Darth Vader's was Darth, before it was badly retconned to be the title of every bad guy with a lightsaber.

indolover January 22 2011 01:23 AM

Elmo sounds goofy, like a childrens' cartoon character. Skrain sounds more alien and more Cardassian.

Photon January 22 2011 01:59 AM

Quote:

apenpaap wrote: (Post 4677705)
In the Relaunch novels, Dukat's first name is Skrain. But, according to Memory Alpha Ronald D. Moore frequently said Dukat's first name was Elmo when someone asked him about it. Leaving aside the fact that he was obviously joking, which name do you prefer? Skrain Dukat, Elmo Dukat, or will he always just be Gul Dukat to you?

Skrain sounds like something you do when you need a stout glass of prune juice

MHT1138 January 22 2011 03:10 AM

I thought it was in an episode of DS9 that his first name was Skrain. I don't know which one though.

Nerys Ghemor January 22 2011 04:21 AM

Quote:

MHT1138 wrote: (Post 4678042)
I thought it was in an episode of DS9 that his first name was Skrain. I don't know which one though.

All the show ever gave us was one episode where he gave his name--or name and title--it's not clear--as "Dukat, S.G." This could have been "Station Gul," but it's not clear.

"Skrain" comes from the Pocket Books novels.

At first I admit I was not the biggest fan of that name, but I've now spent a few years writing for an alternate "good-guy" version of him, and just the different feelings associated with that character have changed the way I hear the name. When I write the "good twin," I don't hear the harshness of the name so much...I hear the rhyme with "rain." But when I write about Gul Dukat, it seems like a harsh, mean name to go with a cruel man.

Mr. Laser Beam January 22 2011 04:28 AM

Quote:

junxon wrote: (Post 4677802)
I like to think his first name is Gul. like Darth Vader's was Darth, before it was badly retconned to be the title of every bad guy with a lightsaber.

Actually the term 'Gul' was first used - as a Cardassian rank - on TNG, well before Dukat ever existed as a character. "The Wounded", I believe it was. Although it did feature Marc Alaimo, as a different Gul (Macet, who in the novels is Dukat's cousin).

Herkimer Jitty January 22 2011 08:16 AM

This week's occupation of Bajor brought to you by the letter C!

Pemmer Harge January 22 2011 09:12 AM

Gul Dukat - that's as much of a name as he'll ever have!

Jack Bauer January 22 2011 10:19 AM

Elmo's just too silly. Skrain isn't that great but I'll take it over Elmo any day.

Photon January 22 2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 4678229)
Quote:

junxon wrote: (Post 4677802)

Actually the term 'Gul' was first used - as a Cardassian rank - on TNG, well before Dukat ever existed as a character. "The Wounded", I believe it was. Although it did feature Marc Alaimo, as a different Gul (Macet, who in the novels is Dukat's cousin).

You gotta wonder if Macet actually got to meet Wes Crusher. That would be a case of Boy Meets Gul

TerokNor January 22 2011 04:36 PM

I donīt like the name Skrain much from its sound, but somehow it fits Dukat. Elmo just sounds... stupid...reminds me of some furry sesam street doll or so.
Gul Dukat of course sounds most familiar, but as Gul is a rang and not a name....
I would vote for both...Gul Dukat and Skrain Dukat, depending if he is on duty or not.
But as you asked for a name I think I put in my vote for Skrain then.

TerokNor

PKTrekGirl January 23 2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Jack Bauer wrote: (Post 4678641)
Elmo's just too silly. Skrain isn't that great but I'll take it over Elmo any day.

^ This.

I agree.

Temis the Vorta January 23 2011 09:00 PM

I gotta stick with Elmo, though my actual preference is for Cosmo.