The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   classic Who should be in colour.. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=135663)

starsuperion January 21 2011 05:54 AM

classic Who should be in colour..
 
I know most do not agree, but I can't help but think that it would just make the older series come to life in a new way..

don't get me wrong..

I love the old school classic black and white..

but there is something to be said for the coloured images found on this site:
http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season1.html
http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season2.html
http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season3.html
http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season4.html
http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season5.html
http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season6.html

watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4mSb...eature=related

VDCNI January 21 2011 09:17 AM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
I've always thought no and those hideous photo's just reinforce my opinion.

Saga January 21 2011 09:23 AM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
Quote:

VDCNI wrote: (Post 4676210)
I've always thought no and those hideous photo's just reinforce my opinion.

agreed.

Starkers January 21 2011 10:01 AM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
Wow in some of those pics the skin tone is so sallow that Steven looks like a zombie! :lol:

Anyway not going to get embroiled in this debate again. It was made in B&W, leave it in B&W, that is all :)

Josan January 21 2011 11:50 AM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
Hmm. This is now the third thread we've had on this same subject recently and my response hasn't changed. Nope. No colour.

OmahaStar January 21 2011 02:58 PM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
Quote:

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: (Post 4676212)
Quote:

VDCNI wrote: (Post 4676210)
I've always thought no and those hideous photo's just reinforce my opinion.

agreed.

Thirded.

Sindatur January 21 2011 02:59 PM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
I wouldn't want the original B&W erased from existence, but, I see no problem with having a color option

starsuperion January 21 2011 03:16 PM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
2 out of a billion fans agree..2 out of a billion.. haha hahaha.. Sorry josan, I didn't realise there had been other threads on this same subject..

however, it does show to me that there is at least some others who are interested in this subject as I..

so like I said, even if I know the vast majority are against it, I feel comforted in knowing there are some others of the same mindset..

that said, if the BBC did release some colourised epi's would you turn them down?

Shatnertage January 21 2011 03:54 PM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
If we're talking about how we'd like to see the classic series given a new prominence, I'd much rather see the missing episodes animated, a la The Invasion.

Color isn't going to do much to make the older shows more accessible. Even if they somehow could remaster them in 3-D, it's still not the kind of story-telling that's going to grab a lot of new viewers.

And that Menoptera convinces me--these are stories where the visuals aren't exactly the most compelling aspect, if you know what I mean.

starsuperion January 21 2011 03:59 PM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
Quote:

shatnertage wrote: (Post 4676606)
If we're talking about how we'd like to see the classic series given a new prominence, I'd much rather see the missing episodes animated, a la The Invasion.

Color isn't going to do much to make the older shows more accessible. Even if they somehow could remaster them in 3-D, it's still not the kind of story-telling that's going to grab a lot of new viewers.

And that Menoptera convinces me--these are stories where the visuals aren't exactly the most compelling aspect, if you know what I mean.

that is true, but then again I see by your avatar you like the animated trek..which then I can assume you like the classic trek as well...and well, some of the classic trek's visuals were lets say... interesting..

they were in colour.. and I still like them..

I also prefer the classic lost in space in colour as apposed to it's original black and white format.. so maybe hokey and campy looks more realistic in black and white, but honestly for me, the colourised versions just stand out more and endear themselves to me more..

in all honesty I would rather the original missing epissodes found their way back to the BBC as apposed to animation placed in to supplant the missing.. however with no sight of the missing episodes surfacing as of yet, I would also second your wanting them to release those animated ones..

however, I wouldn't mind a (star wars the clone wars cartoon style) retelling of the lost episodes in that animated style, but set to the original sound track of the lost serials..

honestly if we are going to retcon the classic Who, might as well do it right in 3D CGI
http://harry-palmer.cghub.com/files/...767_stream.jpg

VDCNI January 21 2011 04:25 PM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
Quote:

starsuperion wrote: (Post 4676550)
2 out of a billion fans agree..2 out of a billion.. haha hahaha.. Sorry josan, I didn't realise there had been other threads on this same subject..

however, it does show to me that there is at least some others who are interested in this subject as I..

so like I said, even if I know the vast majority are against it, I feel comforted in knowing there are some others of the same mindset..

that said, if the BBC did release some colourised epi's would you turn them down?

Yes I would turn them down - what possible reason would I have to buy them in colour when I already have them in B&W!?

Colourising would make no difference to the scripts, direction or performances so what does it actually give us.

Surely the only reason to have them in colour is to get extra sales among people who won't watch B&W and lets face it if they can't cope with B&W the pacing and style of the 60's episodes will be just as problematic!

I would like to see the rest of the missing episodes animated as we don't have the originals. CGI effects are fine as a DVD extra but otherwise no thanks.

Shatnertage January 21 2011 09:29 PM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
Quote:

VDCNI wrote: (Post 4676671)

Colourising would make no difference to the scripts, direction or performances so what does it actually give us.

Surely the only reason to have them in colour is to get extra sales among people who won't watch B&W and lets face it if they can't cope with B&W the pacing and style of the 60's episodes will be just as problematic!

This is what I was trying to say.

And as far as TOS goes, I'll be the first one to acknowledge its weaknesses. I definitely don't watch it for the special effects. At this point, it's more of a nostalgia thing.

Josan January 22 2011 12:40 AM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
Quote:

starsuperion wrote: (Post 4676550)
2 out of a billion fans agree..2 out of a billion.. haha hahaha.. Sorry josan, I didn't realise there had been other threads on this same subject..

however, it does show to me that there is at least some others who are interested in this subject as I..

so like I said, even if I know the vast majority are against it, I feel comforted in knowing there are some others of the same mindset..

that said, if the BBC did release some colourised epi's would you turn them down?

Actually, I'm quite certain that you even started one of them.

And if the Beeb colourised some classic episodes, while I would watch them out of curiosity I wouldn't buy them. The black and white on my DVD shelf are plenty fine. ;)

WillsBabe January 22 2011 10:21 AM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
Well, I enjoy seeing colourised images, and last time we had this debate I was of the opinion that I thought it would be okay to colourise episodes. Everyone disagreed with me and I thought about their opinions and they seemed to be valid to me. I still like seeing colourised images when they are done well.

N-121973 January 22 2011 11:38 AM

Re: classic Who should be in colour..
 
This reminds me of all those threads they used to have over in the ST:TOS forum about having CGI effects for TOS, and look what happened there.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.