The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   TP: Paths Of Disharmony by Dayton Ward Review Thread (Spoilers free) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=135612)

Thrawn January 20 2011 06:27 AM

TP: Paths Of Disharmony by Dayton Ward Review Thread (Spoilers free)

A week before the release date is usually about when these things hit, so fire away!

EDIT: Crap, just saw Nasat's thread. Mods: maybe merge? Sorry!

Rosalind January 20 2011 08:32 AM

Re: Typhon Pact: Paths Of Disharmony Review Thread

^ nah, we'll keep this one for polls and spoiler free, and the other one for spoilers.

Defcon January 20 2011 04:21 PM

Re: Typhon Pact: Paths Of Disharmony Review Thread (spoiler free)

Quote:

Thrawn wrote: (Post 4673413)
A week before the release date is usually about when these things hit, so fire away!

Got it about a week ago, but probably won't start to read it before the weekend.

Thrawn January 21 2011 12:16 AM

Re: Typhon Pact: Paths Of Disharmony Review Thread

Quote:

Rosalind wrote: (Post 4673547)
^ nah, we'll keep this one for polls and spoiler free, and the other one for spoilers.

Works for me.

jhempel24 January 21 2011 06:32 PM

So I'm looking at Barnes & Noble looking for the eBook release, and it's saying that it's not available and isn't available for pre-order....do you think that it will be available in eBook format?

Taran'atar January 21 2011 07:17 PM

I voted above average and would give the book an 8.5/10. I posted some additional (spoilery) thoughts in the other thread.

I liked this book the most out of the four TP novels and would rank them as follows:
  1. Paths of Disharmony (8.5/10)
  2. Zero Sum Game (8/10)
  3. Rough Beasts of Empire (5/10 (Sisko)), (8.5/10 (Spock))
  4. Seize the Fire (4/10)
'Seize the Fire' was the only book I really didn't like, but as a whole I enjoyed this 'series'.

shanejayell January 21 2011 08:44 PM

Anyone in Canada have this yet? Chapters doesn't seem yo have it yet....

Smellincoffee January 23 2011 09:19 AM

I am generally unenthusiastic about relaunch Andorians, so I haven't decided whether or not I want to buy the book immediately or not. Judging from Ward's personal website and running review/commentary on TOS's third season with David Mack, he's an entertaining author...but all the same I hesitate at the 'place order' screen. Without too much detail, does the crew of the Enterprise-E get to shine? I am particularly fond of Chen.

RonG January 27 2011 01:32 PM

as Thrawn suggested at the top - maybe it would be better to merge this thread with the "Blues" one?

Enterpriserules January 27 2011 08:15 PM

It is brilliant so far. Just got it today and on chapter 5 all ready! I would rank them
POD
STF
ZSG
RBotE

BillJ January 27 2011 11:16 PM

Are Paths of Disharmony and Rough Beasts of Empire any better than the first two Typhon Pact novels? I found those really underwhelming.

Almost Unique January 27 2011 11:16 PM

Hmm. Halfway through POD I'd rank them

RBoE
ZSG
POD
STF

But obviously my feelings could change for a book I haven't finished yet.

Thrawn January 28 2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 4692686)
Are Paths of Disharmony and Rough Beasts of Empire any better than the first two Typhon Pact novels? I found those really underwhelming.

Regarding Beasts, depending on who you ask, either REALLY YES (I think this) or REALLY NO. Controversial plot choices, to say the least; I loved it.

Can't comment on Paths yet, still reading.

BillJ January 28 2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Thrawn wrote: (Post 4692808)
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 4692686)

Regarding Beasts, depending on who you ask, either REALLY YES (I think this) or REALLY NO. Controversial plot choices, to say the least; I loved it.

Can't comment on Paths yet, still reading.

Thanks. Getting a Kindle next weekend and it would seem wrong if the first book I get for it wasn't Star Trek. :lol:

JWolf January 28 2011 01:38 AM

Quote:

jhempel24 wrote: (Post 4676970)
So I'm looking at Barnes & Noble looking for the eBook release, and it's saying that it's not available and isn't available for pre-order....do you think that it will be available in eBook format?

It's available now at B&N.