The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   'Cloud Atlas' (2012) Wachowski Brothers rumors/info until release (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=132954)

jefferiestubes8 November 30 2010 06:33 PM

'Cloud Atlas' (2012) Wachowski Brothers rumors/info until release

Quote:

I'm intrigued by the cast that's coming together for "Cloud Atlas," the next film by the Wachowskis. Halle Berry let slip during a recent press conference that she's planning to appear in the film next summer with Tom Hanks and Natalie Portman
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-c...-over-broadway

Quote:

“I’m going to do a movie probably in the summer with the Wachowskis…..A really interesting movie [that is] sort of [like] what they did for ‘The Matrix,’ they have another really amazing idea that’s sort of gonna stretch our brains even further.
http://www.filmshaft.com/cloud-atlas...o-halle-berry/

the press conference video with Halle Berry
Halle Berry - 42nd NAACP Image Awards' Screening of "Frankie & Alice"

about the story:
Quote:

The book is comprised of six parts that are loosely connected. There is a naive clerk on a nineteenth-century Polynesian voyage; an aspiring composer who insinuates himself into the home of a syphilitic genius; a journalist investigating a nuclear plant; a publisher with a dangerous best-seller on his hands; and a cloned human being created for slave labor. These five stories are arranged around a sixth, which focuses on the history of a post-apocalyptic island.
http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...=19865&count=0

"Cloud Atlas" book synopsis via Amazon:
Quote:

There is a naďve clerk on a nineteenth-century Polynesian voyage; an aspiring composer who insinuates himself into the home of a syphilitic genius; a journalist investigating a nuclear plant; a publisher with a dangerous best-seller on his hands; and a cloned human being created for slave labor. These five stories are bisected and arranged around a sixth, the oral history of a post-apocalyptic island, which forms the heart of the novel.”
imdb listing:
Cloud Atlas
in development only (currently)

byron lomax December 4 2010 01:38 PM

Re: 'Cloud Atlas' (2012) Wachowski Brothers rumors/info until release

I absolutely loved this book, but it could be tricky in translating the narrative onto screen. Interesting to see how this turns out.

Dukhat December 4 2010 02:02 PM

I narrated this book for the Books on Tape job I have, and I too thought it was fantastic; one of the best books I've ever read. I think it's great they're making a movie out of it.

Admiral_Young December 8 2010 01:40 PM

A cast that features Halle Berry, Tom Hanks, and Natalie Portman? Written and directed by the Wachoski's? I'm interested. This has been a book I've been meaning to get around to.

Nardpuncher December 8 2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Dukhat wrote: (Post 4572404)
I narrated this book for the Books on Tape job I have, and I too thought it was fantastic; one of the best books I've ever read. I think it's great they're making a movie out of it.

I'm interested to hear you reading....are there any samples we could please hear?

Dukhat December 10 2010 04:22 AM

Quote:

Nardpuncher wrote: (Post 4580748)
Quote:

I'm interested to hear you reading....are there any samples we could please hear?

I appreciate your interest, but it was recorded many years ago and we no longer have the files (there is obviously a master, but it's at the Library of Congress). Plus, I wouldn't legally be able to reproduce it anyway because it is contractually obligated only for the blind and/or physically handicapped. Sorry!

ngc7293 December 10 2010 06:11 AM

Well, if it comes out in December 2012 that sounds like a disaster to me.... ;P

Meredith December 11 2010 07:00 PM

Wachowski Brothers

I though it was "
Wachowski Siblings"

Just being thorough

Admiral_Young December 11 2010 10:00 PM

Sites still report them as being Brothers...maybe that is still how they refer to themselves as. Who knows.

Obiwanshinobi December 12 2010 01:31 PM

Isn't the post op transgendered brother going by Lana now?

JoeZhang July 26 2012 11:42 AM

ARISE FROM THE DEAD!

The trailer is out this morning, you can find bootlegs of it but the HD version should be up on apple in a couple of hours - looks a very strange film.

AvBaur July 26 2012 01:05 PM

I saw the 6-minute(!) trailer when it was online at io9 earlier today. Looks extremely ambitious, like the kind of film that could easily go very wrong. But I have no doubt it will still be a fascinating watch, due to the combined talents of Tom Tykwer (one of my favourite directors) and the Wachowskis (I'm still a fan of the first Matrix and actually quite liked Speed Racer).

Not having read the novel, the trailer reminds me of the similarly ambitious, but deeply flawed, Robin Williams film Being Human. At least visually, Cloud Atlas will definitely be more interesting, though.

JarodRussell July 26 2012 01:48 PM

I'd say calling them the Wachowski Brothers is probably insulting. But the Wachowski Siblings doesn't sound as catchy.

nightwind1 July 26 2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Dukhat wrote: (Post 4584593)
Quote:

Nardpuncher wrote: (Post 4580748)
Quote:

I appreciate your interest, but it was recorded many years ago and we no longer have the files (there is obviously a master, but it's at the Library of Congress). Plus, I wouldn't legally be able to reproduce it anyway because it is contractually obligated only for the blind and/or physically handicapped. Sorry!

I'd love to do that.

I currently do volunteer reading for the Iowas Radio-reading Information Service for the Blind and Print Handicapped (IRIS). I'm one of their readers of the Des Moines Register and Council Bluffs Non-Pareil newspapers. We broadcast to special receivers that are only offered to the blind and sight-impaired.

AvBaur July 26 2012 06:49 PM

The trailer is up at Apple.com now: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/cloudatlas/

There's also a sort of-silly introduction video with the directors. (I think this is the first video of the Wachowskis I've ever seen)