The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Dark Knight to have a female villain? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=131968)

Captaindemotion November 11 2010 11:07 PM

The Dark Knight to have a female villain?

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/chri...s-for-batfilm/

Says that:

Quote:

Chris Nolan is lining up actresses he'll meet for two female lead roles in The Dark Knight Rises, the third installment of the Batfranchise which Warner Bros has dated release on July 20, 2012. I'm told one of the roles is a love interest for Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne, and the other is a villain. The actresses are: Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts, Blake Lively, Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway and Keira Knightley. Nolan is keeping the roles under wraps, just the way that he did when he drafted his Inception star Tom Hardy to come aboard to likely play a villain. Deadline broke that story October 13. I'm still not sure what the role is and I believe Hardy took the job without knowing or reading a script that's still being tweaked.
So what do you all think? Catwoman? Talia? Poison Ivy? Harley Quinn? And who do you like for the roles?

Incidentally, is it time for one of those 'News, announcements' etc megathreads?

Admiral_Young November 11 2010 11:10 PM

Re: The Dark Knight to have a female villain?

This is kind of old news and has been linked in one of Jackson Archer's Dark Knight theads...it's speculated that it will be Taila and Selena. The actresses are new though. I've been a big fan of Rachel Weisz as Selena. I think she would be perfect for the role. I can't see Natalie Portman as Selena or Talia.

Jetfire November 11 2010 11:13 PM

I wish it was Poison Ivy...she got wasted in Batman And Robin...I never liked Uma Thurman in that part. :shrug:

Mr. Adventure November 11 2010 11:15 PM

That is the reason why The Dark Knight Rises. Oooh, matron....

Aragorn November 11 2010 11:17 PM

I still don't like the title, but I guess it beats Warner's suggestion of Batman 3D: Adventures in 3D: The 3D Experience.

Admiral_Young November 11 2010 11:18 PM

Christina Hendricks is the ONLY person who should be playing Poison Ivy.

Kegg November 11 2010 11:25 PM

It's welcome news. Christopher Nolan's first two films are good but the only female character was something of a cipher. I honestly assumed adding a female villain, specifically Catwoman, was the most obvious choice for the third film since... well, since I saw the second film.

Harley Quinn also works fine for me, although I don't know how that jester costume would square with the dark and gritty Nolan-verse.

Don't really care for the alternatives as I've barely if ever heard of them, but hey, Ra's al-Ghul turned out alright so if they want to do his daughter they'd better hire an Irish actress on the basis of more identifiable accents for me on the big screen hooray (also Liam Neeson's daughter)...

I mean, sure, whatever, but I'd rather Harley or Catwoman.

od0_ital November 11 2010 11:25 PM

I'm hopin' for Harley Quinn.

Admiral_Young November 11 2010 11:26 PM

I'd put money that it'll be Selena and Talia. I would have included Talia from the start.

Dream November 11 2010 11:40 PM

Why does this movie need female characters anyway? With the exception of Catwomen in Batman Returns, all the women in the Batman movies have been boring. Batman doesn't need a love interest in every movie. It would be refreshing to have all the main characters in a movie be male for once.

Emh November 11 2010 11:44 PM

I don't care who she would play, but Rachel Weisz must be in this film.

Aragorn November 11 2010 11:51 PM

How about Katie Holmes as Selena and Maggie Gyllenhaal as Talia? :)

Personally, I'd go with Stana Katic or Sarah Shahi as Talia, but that wouldn't fly when they're looking to put names on the poster.

Admiral_Young November 12 2010 12:03 AM

Batman needs a love interest to anchor his human story...that was the purpose of Rachel Dawes in both films.

Aragorn November 12 2010 12:06 AM

Talia and Selena makes sense for the movie's villains. There's an unsubstantiated rumor that Tom Hardy is playing Bullock, not one of the bad guys.

Dream November 12 2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 4522461)
Batman needs a love interest to anchor his human story...that was the purpose of Rachel Dawes in both films.

No, he doesn't need a love interest. Rachel was the least interesting character in Nolan's Batman movies.