The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   POLL: Best Movie from the Disney Renaissance? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=131144)

Dream October 27 2010 11:27 AM

POLL: Best Movie from the Disney Renaissance?

The Disney Renaissance was the time period in the 90s when Disney was on the wonderful streak of releasing good movie after good movie and all them were pretty much hits. I put them all in the poll.

I was curious which movies were the most popular around here.

Admiral Shran October 27 2010 11:54 AM

Re: POLL: Best Movie from the Disney Renaissance?

The Hunchback of Notre Dame. It was dark and adult, yet still had some good humor for the kids. Not only was it the best of that time period, I'd argue it's one of Disney's all-time best.

I'd also say that's where the Disney Renaissance ended, as I've seen nothing since then that's been worth a damn.

Roshi's bone October 27 2010 12:01 PM

Aladdin for being so far out!

Cicero October 27 2010 04:37 PM

Mulan remains one of my favorite movies, and easily my favorite of the Disney Renaissance films. The only ones I didn't care for were The Hunchback of Notre Dame (which I hated) and Hercules (which was an uninteresting version of an interesting story).

aladinsane October 27 2010 05:22 PM

Lion King. Gotta love Hamlet for kids.

LitmusDragon October 27 2010 05:41 PM

Aladdin for being so zany. Plus it has Robin Williams. Mulan was a fun movie too.

I've only seen about half of these movies. I can take or leave Disney as a general rule. Big fan of Pixar though.

Roshi's bone October 27 2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

aladinsane wrote: (Post 4486136)
Lion King. Gotta love Hamlet for kids.

Or Osamu Tezuka ;)

Spot's Meow October 27 2010 05:49 PM

REALLY tough choice. I had to go with The Little Mermaid as it's been a favorite since I was very young and I just love everything about it. However, Aladdin, Mulan, Pocahontas, and The Lion King are all tied for a close second.

Another Disney movie from around that time period that I really enjoyed was The Great Mouse Detective.

The only ones on the list that I didn't really care for were Hercules and Tarzan. Hunchback of Notre Dame has some great songs and specific scenes, but overall I found the movie a bit boring.

Starbreaker October 27 2010 06:47 PM

TLK!

thestrangledcorpse October 27 2010 07:03 PM

For me it comes down to a tough choice between "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast." I think, because of nostalgia, "Little Mermaid" wins.

I also loved "The Lion King," and "Aladdin" is fun too, but I loathe "Pocahontas" and wasn't so fond of the others on the list either.

I think my favorite of the classically animated Disney films, though, is "Lilo and Stitch." Which came slightly after this acme but was a clear return to peak form. I especially loved the character design in that film. The animators drew beautiful Pacific Islander women who actually looked like Pacific Islander women and not brown skinned Barbie dolls like Pocahontas. The watercolor effect of the backgrounds was perfect, the aliens and space ships had fun designs, Lilo was a strong, intelligent, and realistic -- if troubled -- youngster, and the story just felt very true to me. All in all, a fabulous movie.

Emher October 27 2010 07:11 PM

^Totally agree about "Pocahontas" and "Lill & Stitch". The latter is a superb movie.

Out of the ones in the poll though, I'm gonna say "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". One of the few movies that was actually made even better by the Swedish dub. And it's pretty damned great in the original version.

Case in point for the Swedish dub:

The sheer power of the Swedish voice artists voice still stuns me. Also the best villain song ever by Disney.

Captain Craig October 27 2010 07:27 PM

Is it odd I don't consider The Rescuers Down Under and Tarzan as part of the DisneyRen of the 90's? I honestly haven't seen them, did they do well? Have to check BOM on that later.

When the DisRen started I was going from middle school to high school. That time when you want to separate yourself from the cliche "kiddie" films. I caught The Little Mermaid on VHS a year after it was released and after that found reasons aka dates to see The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. Those 3 are my favorites.

LitmusDragon October 27 2010 07:29 PM

This thread makes me want to rent Hunchbank and Lilo & Stitch, neither of which I've seen. Disappointing that they aren't on Blu-ray yet.

Cicero October 27 2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Emher of the Living Dead wrote: (Post 4486454)
^Totally agree about "Pocahontas" and "Lill & Stitch". The latter is a superb movie.

Out of the ones in the poll though, I'm gonna say "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". One of the few movies that was actually made even better by the Swedish dub. And it's pretty damned great in the original version.

Case in point for the Swedish dub:

The sheer power of the Swedish voice artists voice still stuns me. Also the best villain song ever by Disney.

Despite my feelings about Hunchback (which largely result from the unsympathetic main character), I love Hellfire. I think I prefer the original English version, though. Something about the voice of the Swedish singer seems discordant with the rest of the music to me; I think his singing may be too uniformly deep (or perhaps I lack the deep bass hearing needed to fully appreciate it).

Quote:

Captain Craig wrote: (Post 4486512)
Is it odd I don't consider The Rescuers Down Under and Tarzan as part of the DisneyRen of the 90's? I honestly haven't seen them, did they do well? Have to check BOM on that later.

I think the shift in style that Tarzan began tends to separate it from the rest of the 90s Disney films. It's something of a transition point between the early and later modern Disney animation, though, so it's hard to say with which group it belongs.

For years, I assumed that The Rescuers was from the same studio as An American Tail and Anastasia (which apparently share a director, despite being from different studios). Disney seems to ignore them completely.

thestrangledcorpse October 27 2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

LitmusDragon wrote: (Post 4486517)
This thread makes me want to rent Hunchbank and Lilo & Stitch, neither of which I've seen. Disappointing that they aren't on Blu-ray yet.

Definitely watch Lilo and Stitch! It's a beautiful movie: