The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ramis! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=130131)

Frontier October 8 2010 06:15 PM

Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ramis!
 
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...of-his-rv.html

Quote:

Speaking of your film career, last month in GQ Bill Murray said something that wasn’t so nice about Ghostbusters 3.

Aykroyd: He was talking about the writers from Year One, and I think he was reacting to the box-office success and the general public view of the film, which in my view was a very serviceable comedy, and in the end I think they’ll make their money back. I think he was concerned that the writing on Ghostbusters 3 by these guys would not be up to standard, but I can tell you firsthand, I’m working on the script now and those two—Stupnitsky and Eisenberg, [writer-producers of The Office]—wrote Bill the comic role of a lifetime, and the new Ghostbusters and the old are all well represented in it…we have a strong first draft that Harold [Ramis] and I will take back, and I’m very excited about working on it.

Bill and Ted 3. Heathers 2. True Lies 2. Really?


Aykroyd: Look, Hollywood is in love with any kind of nostalgia that can prove itself to be commercial. But it has to evolve. Now [in Ghostbusters 3] my character’s eyesight is shot, I got a bad knee, a bad hip—I can’t drive that caddy anymore or lift that Psychotron Accelerator anymore, it’s too heavy. We need young legs, new minds—new Ghostbusters; so I’m in essence passing the torch to the new regime, and you know what? That’s totally okay with me.

Admiral_Young October 8 2010 06:35 PM

Re: Akyroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
Sounds like they are attempting to reboot it after all. I'll believe it when we're finally graced with a full trailer. Too many people have been talking about this for too long so we'll wait and see. I like how Dan says that the Office writers wrote Bill the comedic role of a life time! Bill didn't seem to think so!

RonSexton October 8 2010 06:56 PM

Re: Akyroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
Id much rather see the old ghostnutbusters being the old ghostnutbusters than trying a lame ass attempt at TNG. It was the old Ghostnutbusters that made the movies worth watching...

Samurai8472 October 8 2010 07:17 PM

Re: Akyroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
Marks attempt # 187 on the wall concerning Ghostbuster's 3

I still say a live action tv version of the Ghostbusters is the best way to go if the movie can't take off. It happened with Stargate and SG-1

Timby October 8 2010 07:27 PM

Re: Akyroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
Aykroyd tends to believe his own bullshit entirely too much. He's said "we're moving forward on Ghostbusters 3" about two dozen times over the last decade. (And if he thinks Year One was a "serviceable comedy," the man is even further gone than previously thought.) At this point, it's been so long since he or Ramis wrote anything good that there's no reason to trust any of their creative judgments anymore.

As for a new cast, anyone who didn't see that coming lives on a planet where crack grows on trees. That's been the approach ever since 1998. Sony wants a movie that can re-launch a franchise with a bunch of young, cheap stars, with 15 minutes of screen time for the old guard in order to lend the movie some credibility with fans of the original.

Keep in mind that no new Ghostbusters film can move forward without the approvals of Sony / Columbia, Aykroyd, Ramis, Murray and Ivan Reitman. Hopefully, this movie will never get made.

tharpdevenport October 8 2010 07:58 PM

Re: Akyroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
Quote:

Timby wrote: (Post 4445547)
Aykroyd tends to believe his own bullshit entirely too much. He's said "we're moving forward on Ghostbusters 3" about two dozen times over the last decade. (And if he thinks Year One was a "serviceable comedy," the man is even further gone than previously thought.) At this point, it's been so long since he or Ramis wrote anything good that there's no reason to trust any of their creative judgments anymore.

As for a new cast, anyone who didn't see that coming lives on a planet where crack grows on trees. That's been the approach ever since 1998. Sony wants a movie that can re-launch a franchise with a bunch of young, cheap stars, with 15 minutes of screen time for the old guard in order to lend the movie some credibility with fans of the original.

Keep in mind that no new Ghostbusters film can move forward without the approvals of Sony / Columbia, Aykroyd, Ramis, Murray and Ivan Reitman. Hopefully, this movie will never get made.

Almost completely in agreence.

Hand Dan some tasty crackanas.

Admiral_Young October 8 2010 10:06 PM

Re: Akyroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
Obviously Dan was defending his friend's film along with his choice of writers. What else would you expect Dan to say, agree with Bill (who's bang on about Year One) and say it sucked?

J. Allen October 8 2010 10:44 PM

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
As much as I would love a Ghostbusters 3, there has to be a point where you love something enough to let it go. Let it go, Dan. It will never again be what it was. Love and enjoy the first two films, and the video game, but this just isn't going to pan out well.

Oh, and Year One was utter dreck, and I say that as a huge fan of Jack Black.

Python Trek October 11 2010 02:09 PM

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
Quote:

J. Allen wrote: (Post 4445944)
As much as I would love a Ghostbusters 3, there has to be a point where you love something enough to let it go. Let it go, Dan. It will never again be what it was. Love and enjoy the first two films <snip>

Holy crap, that was well said! :techman:

Kirkman1987 October 11 2010 02:25 PM

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
Sadly, This movie needed to be made in the 90's to have any chance of credibility. The time has passed. I think a next-gen approach could be decent, but it could never be great. If average is the best you can achieve, why not do something new.

I was happy with the Ghostbusters video game though. That was a real treat for fans, and very well done.

What has Dan Aykroyd been doing lately anyway? I feel like I haven't seen him in years (since evolution I think). He's a very talented performer. I miss him.

FPAlpha October 11 2010 03:37 PM

Re: Akyroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
Quote:

Timby wrote: (Post 4445547)
Aykroyd tends to believe his own bullshit entirely too much. He's said "we're moving forward on Ghostbusters 3" about two dozen times over the last decade. (And if he thinks Year One was a "serviceable comedy," the man is even further gone than previously thought.) At this point, it's been so long since he or Ramis wrote anything good that there's no reason to trust any of their creative judgments anymore.

As for a new cast, anyone who didn't see that coming lives on a planet where crack grows on trees. That's been the approach ever since 1998. Sony wants a movie that can re-launch a franchise with a bunch of young, cheap stars, with 15 minutes of screen time for the old guard in order to lend the movie some credibility with fans of the original.

Keep in mind that no new Ghostbusters film can move forward without the approvals of Sony / Columbia, Aykroyd, Ramis, Murray and Ivan Reitman. Hopefully, this movie will never get made.

"Serviceable" is quote for barely tolerable up to "it was shit" but that kind of remark is usually only uttered by people who want any kind of publicity by starting a public flamewar.. Aykroyd is too long in the business to know he doesn't need that kind of publicity.

While we as an audience has been burnt so many times by sequels i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Nothing has been shown to warrant any praise or derision and for some it will never be good simply because it's not been made in the late 80s/early 90s.

The Borgified Corpse October 14 2010 03:02 AM

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
Quote:

The Invisible Kirkman wrote: (Post 4450669)
What has Dan Aykroyd been doing lately anyway? I feel like I haven't seen him in years (since evolution I think). He's a very talented performer. I miss him.

He occasionally pops up as a surprise guest star on Saturday Night Live but that's about the only time I ever see him anymore.

Admiral_Young October 14 2010 03:11 AM

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
He's also The Ranger in the upcoming "Yogi Bear" movie this Christmas. As much as I would be intrigued by a GOOD "Ghostbuster's III" I just think there are too many hurdles in getting this flick out of development hell. A huge one is trying to impress Bill with a good script which I doubt would happen.

Brolan October 14 2010 03:33 AM

Re: Akyroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
Quote:

Timby wrote: (Post 4445547)
Aykroyd tends to believe his own bullshit entirely too much. He's said "we're moving forward on Ghostbusters 3" about two dozen times over the last decade. (And if he thinks Year One was a "serviceable comedy," the man is even further gone than previously thought.) At this point, it's been so long since he or Ramis wrote anything good that there's no reason to trust any of their creative judgments anymore.
.

Oh my God! I had no idea they had anything to do with that smelly dog turd of a movie! I will not touch GB3 with a ten-foot pole.

Teelie October 15 2010 01:11 AM

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra
 
I wanted to see Ghostbusters 3 but that was a long time ago and now every time I hear it, I think of Duke Nuke 'Em Forever... "we're working on it."

Of course now Duke is actually going to get released (well, more likely than ever before) but who knows if it will even be any good or be worth the wait. Ghostbusters 3 is much in the same boat. If it ever actually gets made, will it even be worth it?

Somehow I doubt it unless they do a full reboot and that reboot does the original duo justice. Not an easy task and I'm sure many fans will say it's impossible.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.