The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Enterprise (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Starfleet's Creation. (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=128434)

T'Girl September 9 2010 12:32 AM

Starfleet's Creation.
 
Enterprise is likely the series I know the least about, did they ever say when Starfleet was created or chartered?

The episode Twilight shows that it existed while Archer was still a young man, but how long before that?

It would seem to have existed prior to the final assemblage of United Earth, was it always a part of it?




:):):):):)

JiNX-01 September 9 2010 03:20 AM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
The episode "First Flight" (season 2) was mainly set 10 years before the NX-01 launch and Archer and Trip were in SF uniforms. The command structure appeared to be well established so SF had been around for a while before that.

C.E. Evans September 9 2010 03:50 AM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
In "Broken Bow," Tucker said Starfleet hadn't been around for very long. Combined with stuff from "First Flight," I tend to think 2132 was when Starfleet was formed for some reason, go fig...

JiNX-01 September 9 2010 05:53 AM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
OK, I just checked Memory Alpha ... Archer told Travis (in "Horizon") that a few years before SF was chartered, he considered becoming a boomer.

So, looks like SF was a toddler when Archer joined the service.

Admiral Shran September 9 2010 04:16 PM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
Quote:

T'Girl wrote: (Post 4374693)
It would seem to have existed prior to the final assemblage of United Earth, was it always a part of it?

We know, from TNG: Attached, that all the nations of Earth finally came together into one world government (United Earth) in the year 2150. That was also the year that the final selection for the captiancy of the NX-01 was made, with Archer being the final choice.

We also know, from ENT: First Flight, that Starfleet was around at least as early as 2143.

So, it does seem as through Starfleet was part of the United Earth structure even before all the nations were on board.

My guess is that Starfleet existed, in some form, from as early as 2119, when the Warp Five Complex was opened.

However, given that it took them over thirty years to develop the Warp Five Engine (probably due to Vulcan interference) I'd also say that Starfleet was still was an infant by the time Archer joined up.

Timo September 9 2010 09:36 PM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
The only serious bit of evidence pointing to Starfleet being a 22nd century creation is the "Horizon" one:

Quote:

Archer: "There was a time when I gave serious thought to serving on a cargo ship."
Mayweather: "You, Sir?"
Archer: "It was a few years before Starfleet was chartered."
Mayweather: "Why didn't you sign up?"
Archer: "Long story."
Perhaps Archer is being truthful and serious here - but even in that case, he might have considered the cargo ship service at the ripe age of four or so, in the 2110s.

Alternately, Archer might be taking Travis' incredulous "You, Sir?" personally. If the helmsman didn't believe Archer would have been capable of anything else besides a Starfleet career, perhaps he should be made aware of the built-in insult by giving him a bogus "rationale" for Archer's failure to become a Starfleet officer straight from the crib...

Timo Saloniemi

Nerys Myk September 10 2010 12:14 AM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
Isn't Earth's Starfleet part of the UESPA? So Its possible that that things like the Warp Five Complex were under UESPA jursidiction until it and possibly other manned space exploration related programs were merged to form Starfleet shortly before Archer joined.

Timo September 10 2010 10:23 AM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
Quote:

Isn't Earth's Starfleet part of the UESPA?
Or UESPA is part of Earth's Starfleet. Or the two are equal partners in whatever joint venture that shield seen in ENT "Demons" symbolized.

Quote:

Its possible that that things like the Warp Five Complex were under UESPA jursidiction until it and possibly other manned space exploration related programs were merged to form Starfleet shortly before Archer joined.
It's also possible that a Starfleet existed in some form or another long before Archer's Starfleet was founded. After all, the same holds true for Kirk's Starfleet...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the United States had a Starfleet in the 2010s in the Trek universe!

Timo Saloniemi

I am Surak September 11 2010 06:38 AM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 4378203)
It's also possible that a Starfleet existed in some form or another long before Archer's Starfleet was founded. After all, the same holds true for Kirk's Starfleet...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the United States had a Starfleet in the 2010s in the Trek universe!

Well said Timo. When Roddenberry created our universe 2010 was very far into the future. Many science fiction movies of the time were set in the 1980s.
I surely anticipated that by 2010 I would own a flying car and go on regular vacations on Mars.....

Admiral Shran September 11 2010 10:42 AM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
Quote:

I am Surak wrote: (Post 4380400)
I surely anticipated that by 2010 I would own a flying car

No, that's not until 2015.

ares93 September 11 2010 12:56 PM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
also, hernandez declined marrying archer because she didnt want to become a starfleet widow. and if i remember correctly that was sometime in the 30's. it was in one of the post-series novels if i'm not mistaken.

I am Surak September 12 2010 08:08 AM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
Quote:

Admiral Shran wrote: (Post 4380602)
Quote:

I am Surak wrote: (Post 4380400)
I surely anticipated that by 2010 I would own a flying car

No, that's not until 2015.

Good! There's still hope then.

Admiral Shran September 12 2010 12:00 PM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
^ They better have hoverboards ready for distribution as well! Or I'll be pissed! :klingon:

pookha September 13 2010 06:40 AM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 4377275)
Isn't Earth's Starfleet part of the UESPA? So Its possible that that things like the Warp Five Complex were under UESPA jursidiction until it and possibly other manned space exploration related programs were merged to form Starfleet shortly before Archer joined.

that is how i see it.
that uespa is the far older organization but with the potential of real deep space exploration coming about they created starfleet and some parts of uespa was folded into it.

Mr. Laser Beam September 13 2010 07:32 AM

Re: Starfleet's Creation.
 
Quote:

Admiral Shran wrote: (Post 4380602)
Quote:

I am Surak wrote: (Post 4380400)
I surely anticipated that by 2010 I would own a flying car

No, that's not until 2015.



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.