The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=126988)

Admiral_Young August 13 2010 09:27 PM

The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Karl Urban is now confirmed as the new "Judge Dredd" which starts shooting later this year for a planned 2012 release. I'm kind of excited about this. Bones is now the law!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68774

Hanukkah Solo August 13 2010 09:35 PM

Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor! Not judge, jury, and executioner!

Admiral_Young August 13 2010 09:38 PM

Bones You Are the Law!!!

Christopher August 13 2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Skywalker wrote: (Post 4315232)
Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor! Not judge, jury, and executioner!

:lol:

Come to think of it, it's hard to imagine two more diametrically opposed characters.

...Well, almost. I just remembered that Urban's two characters in the Hercules/Xena universe were Julius Caesar (a particularly evil version) and Cupid. So he has some experience playing polar opposites.

If they have him go the whole movie without ever taking off the helmet and showing his famous mug, that's a daring choice. I still think the Stallone movie could've made the helmet's removal work in a way that was truer to the character, if he'd been stripped of the helmet by force upon his arrest and was striving to get it (and his "good" name) back.

Reverend August 13 2010 11:44 PM

^ The helmet coming off was the least of the Stallone movie's problems! :p

I'm encouraged by the way this new Dredd flick up so far. From most reports the appear intent on staying true to the cyberpunk/tech-noir/police procedural drama mix the more recent strips have been using.
Still, given Urban's age he'll be playing the (relatively) younger Dredd, not the gnarled up, grizzled and hardened veteran he is these days. Of course he was always those things, he just became them more-so over time. ;)

Mr. Adventure August 13 2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 4315346)
If they have him go the whole movie without ever taking off the helmet and showing his famous mug, that's a daring choice. I still think the Stallone movie could've made the helmet's removal work in a way that was truer to the character, if he'd been stripped of the helmet by force upon his arrest and was striving to get it (and his "good" name) back.

It would be truer to the character to not spend the film framed with Rob Schneider.

Christopher August 14 2010 12:05 AM

That is not in dispute... ;)

Temis the Vorta August 14 2010 12:11 AM

Cool! I'm not sure Dredd should be such a hotty but if he keeps the helmet on, who's to know? ;)

Hmm, not sure Urban's jaw is up to the task, tho. Will prosthetics be needed?

Reverend August 14 2010 12:31 AM

I'm sure they'll hire him a chin coach to beef it up for the part. :D
I have to wonder if Hugo Weaving's performance in 'V for Vendetta' had anything to do with convincing the suits that a film could cope with the main actor that never shows his face?

On a side note, I was reading a "History of 2000AD" article some time back and they go into some detail as the the problems with the movie; both conceptually and from a production standpoint. Boy, that was one unhappy set!
What stood out for me though was the mention that Rob Schneider's character was originally killed off but a test screen audience reacted negativly to this so they re-shot a scene with him still alive. Who did they screen that film for? Patients recovering from brain surgery?

Samurai8472 August 14 2010 02:40 AM

Won't be the same with out Stallone's

"I'M DA LAAAWWW!"

and Rob Schneider

;)

Aragorn August 14 2010 02:49 AM

Instead of Rob Schneider they'll cast David Spade this time around.

Mr. Adventure August 14 2010 03:04 AM

Quote:

Aragorn wrote: (Post 4315832)
Instead of Rob Schneider they'll cast David Spade this time around.

C'mon, Rob's still available...

Reverend August 14 2010 04:06 AM

^Yeah, there's a very good reason for that...

If Dredd has any sidekick at all in this movie, I'm pretty sure it won't be anything like Schneider's character. Hershey maybe? DeMarco? Beeney? Anderson?
Actually, now that I think about it, of all the quasi-sidekicks Dredd's had over the years, how many of them weren't attractive young females?

I know it's early days, but anyone care to speculate on the film's possible plot/villain? Assuming they stay away from using Rico again, I'm thinking that crazy Chief Judge (I forget his name) or P.J. Maybe might work quite well, depending on the plot. Judge Death should, I think, be saved for a possible sequel. The first film should be more about Dredd putting creeps in the cubes than extra-dimensional madness.

Admiral_Young August 14 2010 04:40 AM

I had a chance to read an early draft of Alex Garland's draft and I can say that this movie is quite different from the Stallone film. It's ultra violent and Dredd does have a female partner who I'm quite interested to know who they will cast as. She's not a love interest as Diane Lane was in "Dredd" and Dredd does say "I'm the Law" in the draft I read. It actually was a really enjoyable read.

Gaith August 14 2010 07:51 AM

Any other non-JD-fans think that doing a whole movie around a protagonist whose face you don't see is likely to be artistically disastrous? A 30-minute short film, maybe. But a feature?

Sorry, I just don't see it. :p