The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Gaming (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Bioshock Infinite (Bioshock 3) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=126970)

Mr Light August 13 2010 12:37 PM

Bioshock Infinite (Bioshock 3)

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...=topslot;img;1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioShock_Infinite

I'm surprised there's not an article on this! Yesterday word and video broke on the third Bioshock game!

Bioshock Infinite is actually a prequel with a different setting and story but with similar themes and game play.

This game takes place in 1912 on the flying air city of Columbia, built to show off the prowess of circa 1900 America, but it quickly fell into insanity like Rapture. Where Bioshock used water and darkness, this setting will use air (as in a mile up in the sky!) and brightness.

I think it looks pretty cool. While I loved the Rapture setting a lot, the second game was pretty much more of the same and I'm looking forward to this new setting and story.

Lindley August 13 2010 12:48 PM

Re: Bioshock Infinitie (Bioshock 3)

Interesting, Bungie's Marathon series also called the third game "Infinity". And that was the point at which they seemed to give up on a coherent storyline, coincidentally.

Mr Light August 13 2010 01:05 PM

Annnnnd I misspelled my thread title. Rookie mistake :eek:

firehawk12 August 13 2010 07:05 PM

I was wondering when someone would make the thread!

Rii August 14 2010 05:16 AM

RPS sayeth:
Quote:

Let’s cut to the chase: at this point, it appears the game’s major themes are American Imperialism and fear of immigration. By its simple existence, it’s drawing lines between what happened at the start of the last century and the start of this one. It is, at least potentially, about as political as it gets.
I think I'm going to like this game. :techman:

And I don't care what Ken Levine says; it's a terrible, terrible title. Of course 'Bioshock' isn't exactly an appealing title in the first place.

Mr Light August 14 2010 11:53 AM

Yeah, just call it Bioshock 3 already. That's an interesting point about the imperialism / immigration thing.

firehawk12 August 14 2010 08:07 PM

But Ken's done with the Bioshock franchise! :lol

I feel like the franchise has been foisted upon him, since obviously consumers are too stupid to understand what the game is without having the Bioshock name attached to it.

Robert Maxwell August 14 2010 08:26 PM

The brand name is just a smart business move, much like that new X-COM game that looks nothing like anything in the series' history. I don't mind if an existing franchise name is used to push something different--maybe that will expose people to games they otherwise wouldn't have played.

Timby August 14 2010 08:35 PM

Re: Bioshock Infinite (Bioshock 3)

I fixed the thread title, because I'm a stand-up guy like that. ;)

I have a feeling that this is the original IP that Levine has been working on for quite some time, and Take Two simply mandated that it be branded with the BioShock title for sales and marketing reasons.

Mr Light August 14 2010 10:00 PM

^^ Thanks!

Teelie August 15 2010 12:30 AM

It looks good but it does feel like someone took another story/theme and reworked it into a Bioshock sequel/prequel. There's far too little to know just what the game is really about yet but it does hint at the whole Imperialism angle.

scnj August 15 2010 06:17 AM

Quote:

firehawk12 wrote: (Post 4317037)
But Ken's done with the Bioshock franchise! :lol

I feel like the franchise has been foisted upon him, since obviously consumers are too stupid to understand what the game is without having the Bioshock name attached to it.

I got the feeling that he said all that as a misdirect, so he could go off and secretly work on Infinite privately while Marin kept us occupied with the more public development of BioShock 2.

firehawk12 August 15 2010 07:46 AM

It's weird, because someone found a quote where an executive from Take 2 said that Levine was not working on a Bioshock game... and that was back in April.

I guess we'll never know the story and certainly everyone at Irrational will be saying that they were making a Bioshock game all along.

Bob The Skutter August 15 2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

firehawk12 wrote: (Post 4317984)
It's weird, because someone found a quote where an executive from Take 2 said that Levine was not working on a Bioshock game... and that was back in April.

I guess we'll never know the story and certainly everyone at Irrational will be saying that they were making a Bioshock game all along.

Wasn't there an interview where he said he considers this a new IP? If that's the case anyone think it wasn't originally a bioshock game and has become one?

firehawk12 August 15 2010 10:36 AM

I think the line is that it shares the same 'spirit' as Bioshock and that there are "infinite" new possibilities (and the sky is infinite, I suppose).