The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Art (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Planet of the Titans study models (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=126655)

Maurice August 7 2010 07:07 PM

Planet of the Titans study models

I posted this in another thread, but thought some of you here might find this interesting as well.

Propworks is currently doing an auction that features a Planet of the Titans item: one of the study models built of Ken Adam's take on the Enterprise. These are the most diverse set of photos I've seen of this model, so I'm sharing them.

The text from the auction is as follows
Quote:

Description

Study model made from wood and plastic, painted white, with hand-applied tape and ink details. There is some evidence of repairs where the nacelle pylons meet the secondary hull. Measures 15" long and 8" wide.

Notes

Starship Enterprise study model from 1976 made by or under the supervision of Star Wars illustrator Ralph McQuarrie and production designer Ken Adam for the proposed 1976 movie, Star Trek: Planet of the Titans. This piece was ultimately filmed as a background visual effects model in the "graveyard scene" in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II" and featured on page 56 of "The Art of Star Trek". A unique piece of nearly-forgotten Star Trek history. [Yes, I know some people don't think it actually appeared in BOBW II.]

Catalog Text

Starship Enterprise study model from 1976 made by or under the supervision of Star Wars illustrator Ralph McQuarrie and production designer Ken Adam for the proposed 1976 movie, Star Trek: Planet of the Titans. This piece was ultimately filmed as a background visual
effects model in the "graveyard scene" in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II" and featured on page 56 of "The Art of Star Trek." A unique piece of nearly-forgotten Star Trek history. made from wood and plastic, painted white, with hand-applied tape and ink details. There is some evidence of repairs where the nacelle pylons meet the secondary hull. Measures 15" long and 8" wide.

I actually like some of the lines of this design. The saucer is too chubby, though.

Kaiser August 7 2010 07:18 PM

Re: Planet of the Titans study models

i wish i could this to my Trek Collection

and i agree this design has lots of nice lines :) :techman:

TIN_MAN August 7 2010 07:23 PM

Wow those are cool!
While I don't think this design works as a "hero E" it works great as used, as a background filler ship. Cool find there.

Rusty Nova August 7 2010 09:13 PM

i love that so much it hurts

Potemkin_Prod August 7 2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

TIN_MAN wrote: (Post 4301155)
Wow those are cool!
While I don't think this design works as a "hero E" it works great as used, as a background filler ship. Cool find there.

Doesn't it appear as one of the ships in SpaceDock in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock?

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...tsfshd0161.jpg

Look to the left of the Enterprise's secondary hull.

Maurice August 8 2010 12:31 AM

Quote:

Potemkin_Prod wrote: (Post 4301544)
Quote:

TIN_MAN wrote: (Post 4301155)
Wow those are cool!

Doesn't it appear as one of the ships in SpaceDock in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock?

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...tsfshd0161.jpg

Look to the left of the Enterprise's secondary hull.

No, that's a different study model from the same production.

TIN_MAN August 8 2010 02:11 AM

^^Either way, it's nice to see these designs get some actual screen time. It'd be a real shame if they had been destroyed, and/or fell into obscurity?

Ar-Pharazon August 8 2010 02:42 AM

Do you think this flat design had any influence on the Enterprise-D? I know some think it did, I wonder if there is any actual information to that effect.

While it's an interesting design, I am glad that it did not become an Enterprise refit. Way too different from the original.

Warped9 August 8 2010 05:10 AM

I can never look at this design and not see the initial concept for the 1701D.

Admiral Buzzkill August 8 2010 05:29 AM

Andrew Probert could answer that question authoritatively. I doubt that this was his inspiration, but who knows.

Really, aside from the nacelle pylons sloping slightly forward there's no resemblance.

Ar-Pharazon August 8 2010 06:25 AM

The flattened secondary hull along with the pylons going straight upwards.

Obviously a much smaller saucer.

More the idea of the shape than an exact match.

RAMA August 8 2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Dennis wrote: (Post 4302075)
Andrew Probert could answer that question authoritatively. I doubt that this was his inspiration, but who knows.

Really, aside from the nacelle pylons sloping slightly forward there's no resemblance.

It looks more like the original Enterprise in basic configuration than the E-D. The E-D had graceful lines, not sharp edges.

RAMA

Admiral Buzzkill August 8 2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Ar-Pharazon wrote: (Post 4302135)

I mentioned the pylons. A "flattened hull?" Yeah, a triangular hull with sharp lines and angles, as opposed to an ovoid hull with flowing "organic" lines.

A "much smaller saucer?" Yeah, instead of a much, much enlarged saucer compared to the rest of the vessel as Probert chose, this version reduces and deemphasizes the saucer.

So, it's "more the idea of the shape than an exact match" by moving in the opposite direction from the TOS ship that the TNG ship does in most respects. Brilliant "influencing." :guffaw:

Patrickivan August 8 2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Someone would have to be blind to not see that there are some similar basic lines that look like the E-D. But who knows if it was an influence or a coincidence.

Ar-Pharazon August 8 2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Dennis wrote: (Post 4302450)
Quote:

I mentioned the pylons. A "flattened hull?" Yeah, a triangular hull with sharp lines and angles, as opposed to an ovoid hull with flowing "organic" lines.

A "much smaller saucer?" Yeah, instead of a much, much enlarged saucer compared to the rest of the vessel as Probert chose, this version reduces and deemphasizes the saucer.

So, it's "more the idea of the shape than an exact match" by moving in the opposite direction from the TOS ship that the TNG ship does in most respects. Brilliant "influencing." :guffaw:

Hey, better than the "24th century design for the 22nd century ship" thing. :cool:

At least my theory is linear (in the right direction).