The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Musicians in the house! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=125563)

THE Robert Maxwell July 20 2010 01:34 PM

Musicians in the house!
 
Or, at the very least, people who dabble in playing with musical instruments.

I know we have some musicians here. Anybody working on anything lately? Picked up any new instruments?

I got a Korg Kaossilator and a KP3 recently:

http://bookzek.com/sites/default/fil...usic-equip.jpg

Still figuring out everything you can do with them, but I quite like 'em so far. I've traditionally done all my music on the computer, using programs like Modplug Tracker, Jeskola Buzz, Psycle, and VSTHost. I figured it was time to grab some bona fide hardware, and it's definitely been worth it so far.

I've made a few songs with the Kaossilator/KP3 duo but I think this is the best one so far.

What about you guys?

ITHell July 20 2010 02:10 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
Yep, I make my own music. I've been playing guitar for years and writing the occasional piece on the computer from time to time.

Here is one such piece that I wrote a year or so ago: [click!]

It takes a while to get going, so turn it up and be patient. :D

Scout101 July 20 2010 02:15 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
"Musician" is probably a stretch, but I can play the guitar decently. Have a nice Ovation electric/accoustic I mess around with occasionally.

Used to play the trumpet in a jazz band back in school, but don't have it anymore, so have pretty much lost that skill...

THE Robert Maxwell July 20 2010 02:15 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
Quote:

ITL wrote: (Post 4255163)
Yep, I make my own music. I've been playing guitar for years and writing the occasional piece on the computer from time to time.

Here is one such piece that I wrote a year or so ago: [click!]

It takes a while to get going, so turn it up and be patient. :D

I like! Starts off really chill and gradually builds up. I enjoy songs like that. Very upbeat and easy to listen to.

Pingfaaaaarrrrgh July 20 2010 02:23 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
I have had the same electric for nearly 20 years now, it's a Patrick Eggle LA Pro with the DOn Lace pickup removed and replaced with a high output Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker.

I'd really like to own more guitars, in the past i've owned a 1979 USA Fender Strat which was one of their poorest production years unfortunately, a few Japanese Squier Strats, a Peavey Predator and an Ibanez RG750.

I'd love to have the RG750 back, and I keep eyeing them on Ebay, but really it would be exceptionally frivolous because I'd still play the Eggle 95% of the time. It's become a part of me, i'd be heartbroken if it was stolen or damaged beyond repair.

ITHell July 20 2010 02:25 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 4255172)
Quote:

ITL wrote: (Post 4255163)
Yep, I make my own music. I've been playing guitar for years and writing the occasional piece on the computer from time to time.

Here is one such piece that I wrote a year or so ago: [click!]

It takes a while to get going, so turn it up and be patient. :D

I like! Starts off really chill and gradually builds up. I enjoy songs like that. Very upbeat and easy to listen to.

Thanks :D

I tried to play yours but I don't have QT installed...

Quote:

Pingfah wrote: (Post 4255186)
I have had the same electric for nearly 20 years now, it's a Patrick Eggle LA Pro with the DOn Lace pickup removed and replaced with a high output Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker.

I'd really like to own more guitars, in the past i've owned a 1979 USA Fender Strat which was one of their poorest production years unfortunately, a few Japanese Squier Strats, a Peavey Predator and an Ibanez RG750.

I'd love to have the RG750 back, and I keep eyeing them on Ebay, but really it would be exceptionally frivolous because I'd still play the Eggle 95% of the time. It's become a part of me, i'd be heartbroken if it was stolen or damaged beyond repair.

My meagre funds could only stretch to 75 for an Aria STG-003 Strat copy. Mind you, it's an excellent guitar for the price.

THE Robert Maxwell July 20 2010 02:27 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
Quote:

ITL wrote: (Post 4255193)
Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 4255172)
Quote:

ITL wrote: (Post 4255163)
Yep, I make my own music. I've been playing guitar for years and writing the occasional piece on the computer from time to time.

Here is one such piece that I wrote a year or so ago: [click!]

It takes a while to get going, so turn it up and be patient. :D

I like! Starts off really chill and gradually builds up. I enjoy songs like that. Very upbeat and easy to listen to.

Thanks :D

I tried to play yours but I don't have QT installed...

You don't need QT, just an MP3 player (any one will do.)

Pingfaaaaarrrrgh July 20 2010 02:36 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
Quote:

ITL wrote: (Post 4255193)
My meagre funds could only stretch to 75 for an Aria STG-003 Strat copy. Mind you, it's an excellent guitar for the price.

There's loads of decent instruments around for reasonable money these days, I hear even Encore have made some guitars that aren't an embarrasment to the word instrument. The Aria looks decent enough, solid body for 75, i'd imagine most would be plywood at that price.

I'll listen to some of the tracks people are posting when I get home.

B.J. July 20 2010 02:38 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
I play drums, and have been playing as a hobby since 1987. I play mostly with concert bands (right now with a local community band), but I have played set on occasion. I've even played set with the concert bands when there aren't enough drummers, which is..... interesting.

Playing bass drum for a Memorial Day ceremony (*immediately* after running a 5K race!):
http://olejnikfamily.files.wordpress...6/100_0501.jpg

Playing for a picnic at work:
http://olejnikfamily.files.wordpress...6/hdc-band.jpg

And here's one from 1996, when I was marching at Georgia Tech (I'm 5th from the left):
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/u...s_fountain.jpg

Geckothan July 20 2010 02:59 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
I play a bit of guitar, mainly 70s rock, Allan Holdsworth-esque fusion and Wes Montgomery-esque jazz (though it's hard to get the appropriate tone with my gear without turning the treble right down and the bass right up). I keep the rig really simple, American Fender Strat + Morley wah + EHX Deluxe Memory Man + Laney GH50L/4x12 for blasting peoples ears off or a Laney LC15 for practising at sensible volumes.

I also play keys a little, but the hand coordination is so much different to playing a guitar and I don't practise as much as I should, so I'm horrible at it.

TheBrew July 20 2010 03:44 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
I just got a '99 Fender Stat a month ago and a tube amp to go along with it. Been mainly an acoustic player since I owned my first guitar 4 years ago, so I am learning a lot of new stuff. Just learned my Pentatonic Minor Scale a few days ago, so having fun with that.

I've also played Double Bass for 16 years in both Symphonic Orchestras and Swing Bands. I picked up Bass Guitar as a sort of complementary instrument.

I also play drums, but I've been sans drumkit since it might get me kicked out of my apartment :p. I do miss playing them, though.

macghoul July 20 2010 08:03 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
I play the piano but hardly ever have the time lately. I want to start up lessons again as I inherited my mother's piano books and most of them are too advanced for me. :alienblush: However, time and finances are not on my side.

My son has played the piano for a year and likes to tinker and make up his own tunes. My daughter, who plays the oboe and recorder, wanted, and got, a piccolo for her birthday, which she is teaching herself to play. I'd much rather spend my spare cash on lessons for them than for me. :)

Vulcan Princess July 20 2010 08:14 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
I sing opera. (Well, I used to, anyway, before law school stole my life.) I've dabbled at several instruments, but I'm not good at any of them. I'm kind of learning the acoustic guitar right now.

My current project is fairly ambitious. I've never written music before, but I've decided that I want to try and write a mass. I started last week, and I have about half of the Kyrie finished.

marillion July 20 2010 09:46 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
I'm a bit of a dabbler in guitar and drums, but my next purchase will be a bass.. My daughter wants to be a bass player (thanks to the band "Sick Puppies") so I think it will be a joint Christmas present.

Kestra July 20 2010 11:28 PM

Re: Musicians in the house!
 
I am skilled at musical torture using either the violin or the piano as my instrument of choice.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.