The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The Doctor Who Schematics Thread (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=125010)

starsuperion July 11 2010 01:22 AM

The Doctor Who Schematics Thread

Okay, so up next is the Time Station, Zenobia.. though I would think it should be called the Trial Statio, since if you look at the size of it, and what it was used for was nothing more then a floating court room in space..

and here is my first contribution to this thread..

as you all know I took about 2 1/2 years researching the Tardis, each step getting closer to the science and theories. Well finally here it is.. the last design..

I got a sweet little schematic in the works, and you guys are gonna love it..it is a new "who ship design", the Great Bow ship!

plus a Rutan fighter is in the works as well. Stay tuned! and feel free to add your own schematics. :techman:

EDIT: I decided to change this image to a plain version of the Tardis Schematic..down below I will be adding the variant image, which has the background watermark design, and the Tardis ship will have the Gallifreyan text markings on it as well.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/a...rdisLAST-2.png

Admiral_Young July 11 2010 06:22 AM

Re: The Doctor Who Schematics Thread

Awesome...btw I flipped through the Tardis Handbook and it's got nothing on you dude. Any progress on the Doctor Who's Who? :)

starsuperion July 11 2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 4233121)
Awesome...btw I flipped through the Tardis Handbook and it's got nothing on you dude. Any progress on the Doctor Who's Who? :)

thanks man! what do you think of this new direction? It has a better style that is more inline with the feel of what a tardis is supposed to look like in its alternate dimension... should I remove that background image? is it too distracting?

as for the who's who, I am reworking it..it will look way better..:techman:

I still want to see that handbook though..

Timofnine July 11 2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

starsuperion wrote: (Post 4233131)
Quote:

thanks man! what do you think of this new direction? It has a better style that is more inline with the feel of what a tardis is supposed to look like in its alternate dimension... should I remove that background image? is it too distracting?

Looking good! Don't remove the background image totally, fade it out more so it's more of a watermark like look...

starsuperion July 11 2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Timofnine wrote: (Post 4233568)
Quote:

starsuperion wrote: (Post 4233131)
Quote:

Looking good! Don't remove the background image totally, fade it out more so it's more of a watermark like look...

Thanks for the advice, Timofnine, I went ahead and just uploaded a plain version in place of the other, with the ship being plain as well.. (no Gallifreyan Text) But the Tardis IMHO should have Gallifreyan Text on it, which is kinda cool cause it reminds me of the new direction and addition of that text in the latest version of the ship.. plus it makes it look more ancient and uniquely time lord..:)

(the lighted cover above the Tardis exit doors, the text etched into the ships console, and the sides of the console, etc..)

anyhow, I faded the back ground on the new one, and will be uploading it soon..thanks again for the help! :techman:

Psion July 12 2010 12:04 AM

Wow! Is that scale correct? You're looking at over 2,000 kilometers in diameter?

Admiral_Young July 12 2010 12:24 AM

I agree with the advice given above...if these are Time Lord archives I think they should look weathered if possible.

starsuperion July 12 2010 02:54 AM

Quote:

Psion wrote: (Post 4234528)
Wow! Is that scale correct? You're looking at over 2,000 kilometers in diameter?

Yep, think about it this way, the main structure of the tardis is grown by using carbon fiber, then the massive work is done through robotic and matter conversion techniques.. this allows the Time Lords to manufacture a massive ship, which can hold the sum total knowledge of an entire sector of the Galaxy.. remember, as the Tardis lands on a planet, it creates a holodeck like environment, which is a duplicate of that world, thus the time lords are able to view and explore in safety and comfort within the ship itself..and then move forward in time to see how the society progresses.. I think they were banned from going past a certain point..like say normal Gallifreyan time zone..anyhow, yeah the Tardis is a massive ship, and it has to be because the ring like engines which force the time vortex into being have to be massive to control and move with such power it takes to do that..kinda like a hyperspace worm whole.. only the tardis is in it's own dimension..

Honestly though, think of how big the explosion was that lit up the sky on earth in the recent 5th season of doctor who, episode "the Big Bang" and if the ship can generate that massive of an explosion, then think about the size of this ship's design and you can tell that it is a massive machine!

Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 4234565)
I agree with the advice given above...if these are Time Lord archives I think they should look weathered if possible.

duly noted, and applied to the art.. :)
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/a...ardisLAST4.png

for those who want a clean version, I did that as well..
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/a...disLAST3-2.png

Timofnine July 12 2010 06:17 AM

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/a...ardisLAST3.png

This one, perfect! :bolian:

Admiral_Young July 12 2010 08:26 AM

Agreed with TimofNine. I'm starting to get eager to see the interior designs now...but one thing at a time!!! I'm curious about something though...I've been wondering about seeing the Doctor dressed in full Time Lord regalia what that'd look like. It'd be an interesting side project ;) I really hate not being able to draw.

Psion July 12 2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

starsuperion wrote: (Post 4234842)
Quote:

Psion wrote: (Post 4234528)

Yep, think about it this way, the main structure of the tardis is grown by using carbon fiber, then the massive work is done through robotic and matter conversion techniques.. this allows the Time Lords to manufacture a massive ship, which can hold the sum total knowledge of an entire sector of the Galaxy.. remember, as the Tardis lands on a planet, it creates a holodeck like environment, which is a duplicate of that world, thus the time lords are able to view and explore in safety and comfort within the ship itself..and then move forward in time to see how the society progresses.. I think they were banned from going past a certain point..like say normal Gallifreyan time zone..anyhow, yeah the Tardis is a massive ship, and it has to be because the ring like engines which force the time vortex into being have to be massive to control and move with such power it takes to do that..kinda like a hyperspace worm whole.. only the tardis is in it's own dimension..

Honestly though, think of how big the explosion was that lit up the sky on earth in the recent 5th season of doctor who, episode "the Big Bang" and if the ship can generate that massive of an explosion, then think about the size of this ship's design and you can tell that it is a massive machine!

Oh, I understand your rationalizations for the size, but I'm rather stunned by something this big. Sure, the TARDIS is bigger on the inside, but this thing dwarfs the moons of Mars. If this landed in Washington, DC, it's shadow would extend past Boston. That's really ... big.

What do Timelords do with all that space? How many typically staff such a vehicle? I have to admit that I'm not familiar with this holodeck function you mention. Certainly, I don't recall the Doctor ever exploring anything in safety and comfort.

Although, the TARDIS did tow Earth across the cosmos once. That's not exactly the job of something tiny ...

starsuperion July 12 2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Timofnine wrote: (Post 4235177)

This one, perfect! :bolian:

Got it! I can use that back ground image for the rest of the ship. though I may change it and use gallifreyan text instead.. but the design behind it does convey how time travel is used..

actually let's use this version.. with the time lord symbols in the backdrop..
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/a...ardisLAST5.png

Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 4235330)
Agreed with TimofNine. I'm starting to get eager to see the interior designs now...but one thing at a time!!! I'm curious about something though...

I will be working on the interior stuff here soon, since I have finalized what the Tardis is in it's own Dimension. I must admit, it took me quite a while and a long ride through so many different designs to come up with what we now see in this thread. I went through so many configurations, I started to feel like Matt Jefferies, though I am NO where near the legend of a designer as he was.. God Rest his soul...

anyhow, I have tons and tons of unused sketches, and digital designs, countless hours and studying the current hyperspace, 4th dimensional Tesseract theories, Doctor who theories and such, and so much more..

this design is kinda like a giant centrifuge..the artificial black whole in the center of the ship, the rings above the center which draw the vortex inward and creates a wormhole of sorts through which the tardis can travel.. The rooms of the Tardis revolve in a clockwise direction and are modular and sections can move upwards and downwards, or shift according to the time lord's needs..which I also understand (this makes it so they don't have to walk all over the ship to get to certain areas.) I get it now! A very easy concept to grasp mentally...which I will convey in a future drawing.. so first will come that, those interior designs will follow and most likely will start with the Tardis engines, and various rooms, and computer cores, and so on.

I have been studying classic who, and I have a grasp on their computer tech.. it seems as if the show eluded to their use of crystal technology..which makes sense, since it is highly capable of housing and processing tons of data, more so then the latest silicon processors..heck even the Kryptonians used that tech in Superman.. :techman:

Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 4235330)
I've been wondering about seeing the Doctor dressed in full Time Lord regalia what that'd look like. It'd be an interesting side project ;) I really hate not being able to draw.

I have some designs in the works to showcase what Time lords wore during the days of chronicling other worlds, and star systems through time..I imagine much of their clothing has remained the same throughout time..but I do have some cool variants on the outfits we have seen.. since I am starting with the Type 40 ship, this thread can chronicle the use of that ship.. but by the doctor's time the Time lords have stopped mapping the universe, and use lesser tardis ships to explore, until the Time war, where the Tardis ships were much smaller.. I have uniforms for them.. oh yes, they are sweet!

starsuperion July 12 2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Psion wrote: (Post 4235491)

Oh, I understand your rationalizations for the size, but I'm rather stunned by something this big. Sure, the TARDIS is bigger on the inside, but this thing dwarfs the moons of Mars. If this landed in Washington, DC, it's shadow would extend past Boston. That's really ... big.

What do Timelords do with all that space?

With a ship as large as the tardis, there were 305 of them in use.. think of the massive amounts of data that the Timelords would need to gather..it seems like the Doctor knows every history and every alien language, this is due to the research done by previous time lords with their Tardis. the Ship's massive size allows them to retain knowledge and specimens, or technology gathered from countless worlds throughout the cosmos. But I do think I was premature in my initial scale.. I have since re-sized the images..when I first did it, I was using metres, when I switched to kilometres, I should have removed those extra zeros.. yeah no, the tardis is massive, and probably a bit larger then the 1st death star, but no more then that..at 124 miles in diameter, I can't see it needing to be larger then that.

Our moon which measures 3,476 km way larger then the size of a Tardis.. I would think that a Tardis is the equivalent of a Deathstar from Star wars..no more then that though..sorry I should have double checked my work before I uploaded it..200 km is still a massive ship..the explosion and burning up of the Tardis engines would be so massive because of the massive amount of energy being exerted..

The Time Lords would need a massive ship like that to map and log in the galaxy, which then ends up being dumped into the matrix, on Gallifrey.

Quote:

How many typically staff such a vehicle?

I would say a crew of a Tardis Typically housed about 2,000 Time Lords.. most were technicians, scientists, historians, and probably a few senators, or council assistants who oversaw the operations for the high council back on Gallifrey. 6 members were the operators who piloted the ship..with probably about 24 in reserve who could take over in shifts in other console rooms in other areas of the Tardis..with such a massive ship, it would be necessary for the ship to be modular to allow corridors, and rooms to shuffle to specific locations in the ship to assist those researchers who were working on projects. The Tardis would probably travel to a solar system, and spend time chronicling the history to present of the planets, moons, and anomalies in that system.

A tardis would take specimens, examine, and study a planet, and then move on through time to the present day of Gallifrey (they were forbidden to go into their own future), and map, chronicle, record, study, analyze, and then leave those worlds, for other systems.. think of the 5 year mission of star trek but on a massive information gathering mission that spanned hundreds of years.. this explains a great deal as to why a time lord has the regeneration ability they do, and why the Tardis interior can shift and change.. once completed, the Time Lords would return to Gallifrey and deposit their gained knowledge into the most powerful computer in the universe, the Gallifrey matrix.

I think that once a Time lord has been linked to a Tardis, his mind has a sort of access to this data in the Tardis Memory banks, which explains how they can recognize a species and specific dates and activities that occur..and recognize differences in the original time line..this would also explain how the languages are automatically translated, cause a Tardis houses a massive repository of the Matrix data regarding alien races.. sort of a portable space almanac..

Quote:

I have to admit that I'm not familiar with this holodeck function you mention. Certainly, I don't recall the Doctor ever exploring anything in safety and comfort.

the Doctor does so in the comics and was mentioned quite a bit in the novels..., and it is never shown in the show, but, it does make sense that to preserve the first law of time, most time lords would never leave their ships while chronicling the life of a particular race, planet, or cosmic event..In the comic, it was Frobisher and Peri who got lost in the Tardis, and the 6th doctor has to find them before an invader to the tardis kills them. As the Doctor travels with Frobisher ( a shape shifter stuck in a peguin mode..) he shows Frobisher the computer data memory section, which houses multiple countless rooms which house holodeck versions of every various world the tardis has visited. which makes sense, when you think about what the Time Lords represent.. control and watchers of natural events of time..they wanted to know everything that happened in their universe from past to present and chronicle all of that to know everything about anything in the universe..the holodeck memory banks allowed the Time Lords to follow the first law of time, and never interfere with other races..the doctor doesn't use those memory banks, cause he gets involved, which makes sense that we wouldn't see those rooms in the tv series, unless a story were developed around that.

Quote:

Although, the TARDIS did tow Earth across the cosmos once. That's not exactly the job of something tiny ...

this is true, however, the fact that the Tardis houses an artificial Black hole core at it's center cloister room makes it's own gravitational field which is powerful enough to hold objects and tow objects, even a rocket ship from another black hole.. but you are correct, the Tardis would have it's own gravitational force, in addition to the core.. I would presume a Tardis of the older classes like the Type 40 to the Type 80 were massive.. from 80 onward, they dropped off in size, cause by then, most time lords were not traversing the universe and gathering knowledge...

they ended up not even leaving Gallifrey until the time war, at that time the Ships ended up way smaller, probably about 20 Kilometres in Diameter, instead of 2,000. Though that is still a large size, it does fit the narrative that the Tardis could map its exterior onto the interior design and impose its size on a dalek ship during the time war and those ships were about the size of huge asteroids,or a crater on our moon..

Admiral_Young July 12 2010 08:16 PM

I really like the Gallyfrean symbols on the page....

Psion July 13 2010 02:04 AM

I'm a bit more comfortable with the re-scale, although that's still immense -- but don't take that as a criticism; indeed, the sources you cite seem to demand something a bit larger than my expectations.

I'm fascinated with this project of yours, although I admit that I preferred the previous version; it was graceful and beautiful in a suspension-bridge-meets-classical-Greek-column kind of way. On the other hand, the current effort appears more practical and probably a much better utilization of the available volume. And regardless of the layout, you keep turning out clean and finished artwork that belongs in a professionally bound and published volume.

Honestly, I hope you keep coming up with new ideas for the TARDIS exterior for many years to come. Your Sysiphean toils will be the stuff of my personal joy every time I click on one of your threads.