The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Netflix Relativity Deal Adds Movies To Its Online Streaming Catalog (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=124780)

Snaploud July 6 2010 11:20 PM

Netflix Relativity Deal Adds Movies To Its Online Streaming Catalog
 
Netflix Relativity Deal Adds Movies To Its Online Streaming Catalog

NAKASHIMA | 07/ 6/10 05:44 PM | http://s.huffpost.com/images/v/ap_wire.png


LOS ANGELES Netflix Inc. is snatching away several movies a year that would have gone to pay TV outlets such as HBO or Showtime, under a deal with film financier Relativity Media LLC announced Tuesday.


The deal, worth more than $100 million per year, highlights Netflix' strategy to migrate customers from ordering DVDs by mail to accessing them online over personal computers, game consoles, Blu-ray players, mobile devices and TVs.


....

About one-fifth of Netflix's 100,000 movie and TV show titles can now be streamed online.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_636634.html

Sounds great... I subscribed to netflix recently (mainly for online streaming to my tv). I'm happy to hear that they're making online streaming a priority.

bigdaddy July 6 2010 11:30 PM

Re: Netflix Relativity Deal Adds Movies To Its Online Streaming Catalo
 
Quote:

Snaploud wrote: (Post 4222347)

Sounds great... I subscribed to netflix recently (mainly for online streaming to my tv). I'm happy to hear that they're making online streaming a priority.

That's because within 5 years they picture the mail part dieing down to almost nothing.

Snaploud July 6 2010 11:43 PM

Re: Netflix Relativity Deal Adds Movies To Its Online Streaming Catalo
 
Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 4222369)
Quote:

Snaploud wrote: (Post 4222347)

Sounds great... I subscribed to netflix recently (mainly for online streaming to my tv). I'm happy to hear that they're making online streaming a priority.

That's because within 5 years they picture the mail part dieing down to almost nothing.

Oh, I agree. It's just nice to see that they realize it. I like having lots of online streaming options, and that's only going to happen if they make it a priority.

Mr. Adventure July 7 2010 12:07 AM

Re: Netflix Relativity Deal Adds Movies To Its Online Streaming Catalo
 
They have a good selection but it doesn't feel like a fifth of their stuff is online. Or is it you just remember more when something you want is in the other 80%?

Snaploud July 7 2010 12:12 AM

Re: Netflix Relativity Deal Adds Movies To Its Online Streaming Catalo
 
Quote:

Mr. Adventure wrote: (Post 4222458)
They have a good selection but it doesn't feel like a fifth of their stuff is online. Or is it you just remember more when something you want is in the other 80%?

I'm sure the 1/5th represents a lot of (relatively) older media. Most of the newest stuff is still only available on DVD. Though, that does appear to be improving.

Data Holmes July 7 2010 04:28 AM

Re: Netflix Relativity Deal Adds Movies To Its Online Streaming Catalo
 
I've noticed that they do rotate a number of older DVD titles between stream and not stream. last week treks three and five were both up on the stream, this weak they weren't.

Nerdius Maximus July 13 2010 05:22 PM

Re: Netflix Relativity Deal Adds Movies To Its Online Streaming Catalo
 
Quote:

Snaploud wrote: (Post 4222468)
Quote:

Mr. Adventure wrote: (Post 4222458)
They have a good selection but it doesn't feel like a fifth of their stuff is online. Or is it you just remember more when something you want is in the other 80%?

I'm sure the 1/5th represents a lot of (relatively) older media. Most of the newest stuff is still only available on DVD. Though, that does appear to be improving.

I've noticed that they get alot of the same stuff as Starz when it comes to new releases.

J. Allen July 13 2010 05:23 PM

Re: Netflix Relativity Deal Adds Movies To Its Online Streaming Catalo
 
Quote:

Nerdius Maximus wrote: (Post 4239259)
Quote:

Snaploud wrote: (Post 4222468)
Quote:

Mr. Adventure wrote: (Post 4222458)
They have a good selection but it doesn't feel like a fifth of their stuff is online. Or is it you just remember more when something you want is in the other 80%?

I'm sure the 1/5th represents a lot of (relatively) older media. Most of the newest stuff is still only available on DVD. Though, that does appear to be improving.

I've noticed that they get alot of the same stuff as Starz when it comes to new releases.

I think they have a deal with Starz Play, and whatever shows on Starz will show on Netflix Instant Watch.

Sakrysta July 13 2010 07:01 PM

Re: Netflix Relativity Deal Adds Movies To Its Online Streaming Catalo
 
Quote:

Snaploud wrote: (Post 4222347)
Sounds great... I subscribed to netflix recently (mainly for online streaming to my tv). I'm happy to hear that they're making online streaming a priority.

Ditto. I wouldn't bother with the mail at all if stuff I wanted to see was available streaming.

And yeah, they have a deal with Starz to stream whatever movies they're currently running.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.