The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   more unnoticed things (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=124670)

Stompy July 4 2010 11:05 PM

more unnoticed things
 
Okay "The Squire of Gothos"

I've seen this 1000 times and never noticed DeSalle's smashed finger before...

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...othoshd093.jpg

odd that they left his blackened nail on screen and not polish it fleshtone...

Shatnertage July 4 2010 11:39 PM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
Good eye!

scotpens July 5 2010 06:20 AM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
Eeeeww!

Some things show up on Blu-Ray that are better left unseen!
Quote:

Stompy wrote: (Post 4217528)
. . . odd that they left his blackened nail on screen and not polish it fleshtone...

Probably figured for that one brief scene viewed on a 21-inch home screen, with the TV transmission quality of the 1960s, no one would really notice.

Captain Rob July 5 2010 06:30 AM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
If they only new what the future would really bring.





Nit-picking fans that weren't even born yet scrutinizing every frame in high-resolution.

Captrek July 5 2010 11:25 AM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
One of my favorite things about the remastered set is the “monitors” along the back wall of the bridge that are really just static pictures placed there and sometimes changed between takes. On the remastered set, it is sometimes obvious where the paper is buckling.

Warped9 July 5 2010 11:34 AM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
When the episodes were first digitally remastered for DVD I noticed something I'd never seen before and I didn't have to wait for Blu-Ray or new f/x to see it. In "The Devil In The Dark" after they phaser a piece of the Horta off when it escapes, I noticed that when Spock is holding the piece and he and Kirk are examining it it is still pulsating!

Creeped me right out! Nice effect!

SpyOne July 5 2010 04:17 PM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
Quote:

scotpens wrote: (Post 4218213)
Probably figured for that one brief scene viewed on a 21-inch home screen, with the TV transmission quality of the 1960s, no one would really notice.

21 inch screen?

I'm not sure, but that sounds high. This video of a 1965 Zenith TV shows a screen that is smaller than the last 19inch TV I bought. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d5k5A9YYvg

(Wait, I just found a 1965 commercial for Zenith touting the biggest screen they had ever made at 25 inches, so 21 was probably a normal big screen of the day.)

scotpens July 5 2010 05:16 PM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
^^ It was.

Hey, I was there, man!

Jeri July 5 2010 07:09 PM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
Just watched Way to Eden at lunch, and I noticed something; where "Adam" is supposed to be lying dead from having eaten poison fruit, Charles Napier moves a finger.

Captrek July 5 2010 07:50 PM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
Quote:

Jeri wrote: (Post 4219212)
Just watched Way to Eden at lunch, and I noticed something; where "Adam" is supposed to be lying dead from having eaten poison fruit, Charles Napier moves a finger.

REDSHIRT: You've been around a lot of corpses. Is that normal?
SPOCK: Are you referring to the twitching finger?
REDSHIRT: Yeah, the finger thing.
SPOCK: It is not uncommon.
REDSHIRT: Well I'm having a hard time concentrating. Can you do something about it?
SPOCK: What would you have me do, Ensign? Kill him again?

Captain Rob July 5 2010 10:14 PM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
Quote:

captrek wrote: (Post 4219300)
Quote:

Jeri wrote: (Post 4219212)
Just watched Way to Eden at lunch, and I noticed something; where "Adam" is supposed to be lying dead from having eaten poison fruit, Charles Napier moves a finger.

REDSHIRT: You've been around a lot of corpses. Is that normal?
SPOCK: Are you referring to the twitching finger?
REDSHIRT: Yeah, the finger thing.
SPOCK: It is not uncommon.
REDSHIRT: Well I'm having a hard time concentrating. Can you do something about it?
SPOCK: What would you have me do, Ensign? Kill him again?


:guffaw: You read my mind.... from the past.

skylark14 July 6 2010 01:00 AM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
Noticed in watching Naked Time on blu-ray, the scene where the nurse is holding Spock's face in her hands, the elaborately manicured thumbnail on the left looks about an inch and a half long but the one on the right looks about 3/4 of an inch long or less. It's obviously been broken off and only partially repaired. Once noticed, it then becomes forever noticed by me. I've had to convince myself it's a 23rd century fad, like the men's sideburns, so I can stop seeing it to the exclusion of the intense facial expressions and dialogue. It definitely does take away some of the awe I used to feel many years ago, being able to examine each moment in minute detail.

Saw on You Tube where someone had even posted a screenshot of Spock's pink underpants. The comments made me laugh out loud, but I sometimes long for the good old days when there was still mystery.:cool:

Jeri July 6 2010 02:43 AM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
Can someone please fix the picture in the OP so it doesn't stretch the thread?

FormerLurker July 6 2010 04:03 AM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
Agreed. And unnoticed? How did you find them, then?

Green Shirt July 6 2010 10:58 AM

Re: more unnoticed things
 
I had a thumb nail smashed years ago, and it looked just like this one. When the damage covers the complete nail like that, the whole thing will often lift off and the nail will have to grow back. BTW, the finger next to that one looks a little hurt, too.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.