The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=124017)

Sal'ira June 23 2010 11:38 PM

What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
This question has been bothering me for quite some time. I want to know what the voices not in my head think of my question. An Andorian/Vulcan child? What do you think it would look like? Would it have antennae? Would its blood be blue or green? Blue or greenish skin? What species would have the dominant genes? What do you think?

T'Girl June 23 2010 11:43 PM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
Kristie Alley?



.

Sal'ira June 23 2010 11:49 PM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
Kristie Alley? She played Saavik, who was Vulcan/Romulan.

Mr Silver June 24 2010 12:40 AM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
To answer your question, We haven't seen any Andorian Hybrids, bar the offshot race encountered in the ENT season 4 arc (cannot remember the name of them), while its possible that Andorians and Vulcans are genetically compatible, it would seem unlikely given the fact that only Romulans and Humans (which are very closely related to Vulcans) are the only second race we've seen to date in Vulcan Hybrids

Elizabeth (T'Pol/Trip) - Vulcan/Human
Spock (Sarek/Amanda) - Vulcan/Human
Saavik (Unknown/Unknown) - Vulcan/Romulan (Unsure of Canon but the general assumption is that Saavik is a Vulcan/Romulan Hybrid)

To Speculate: I'd imagine that an Andorian/Vulcan hybrid would be dominant Andorian, for instance, they would have blue skin (and judging from Spock's blood) the Vulcan "Green Blood" would be dominant, they would also likely have the Andorian Antennae (but perhaps shorter) and of course the Vulcan ears, depending on the circumstances of the Hybrids upbringing, they would either be logical (a'la Spock) or similar to Shran (but perhaps more passionate since Vulcan emotions are said to be much more intense than Human and even some Klingon emotions)

StarryEyed June 24 2010 02:05 AM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
Use your imagination because that is the only place it would happen. Hybrids between species which evolved separately over billions of years on different planets is probably the greatest scientific absurdity we see on Star Trek so forget trying to piece together what one would look like. Make it what ever you would like because one version will be as absurd as any other. It's pure fantasy.

teacake June 24 2010 02:06 AM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
Didn't your grandmother ever tell you?

"Blue and green should never be seen."

Sci June 24 2010 02:44 AM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
Quote:

Sal'ira wrote: (Post 4189358)
This question has been bothering me for quite some time. I want to know what the voices not in my head think of my question. An Andorian/Vulcan child? What do you think it would look like? Would it have antennae? Would its blood be blue or green? Blue or greenish skin? What species would have the dominant genes? What do you think?

Hmm. I'd probably design them with pointed ears, thick but smooth white hair, light blue skin, pointed eyebrows, and antennae. I suppose the blood would be teal.

Quote:

madmatthias wrote: (Post 4189568)
Elizabeth (T'Pol/Trip) - Vulcan/Human
Spock (Sarek/Amanda) - Vulcan/Human
Saavik (Unknown/Unknown) - Vulcan/Romulan (Unsure of Canon but the general assumption is that Saavik is a Vulcan/Romulan Hybrid)

Considering that Vulcans and Romulans are the same species, that's a meaningless phrase, "Vulcan-Romulan hybrid." They've only been separate gene pools for two thousand years; that's not enough for speciation to take place.

scotpens June 24 2010 03:11 AM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
Quote:

Sci wrote: (Post 4189854)
Hmm. I'd probably design them with pointed ears, thick but smooth white hair, light blue skin, pointed eyebrows, and antennae. I suppose the blood would be teal.

Sounds very stylish.
Quote:

Considering that Vulcans and Romulans are the same species, that's a meaningless phrase, “Vulcan-Romulan hybrid.” They've only been separate gene pools for two thousand years; that's not enough for speciation to take place.
It's something like a wolf-dog mix on Earth. Wolves and domestic dogs are biologically the same species, so crossbreeding them is technically not hybridization.
Quote:

StarryEyed wrote: (Post 4189777)
Use your imagination because that is the only place it would happen. Hybrids between species which evolved separately over billions of years on different planets is probably the greatest scientific absurdity we see on Star Trek so forget trying to piece together what one would look like. Make it what ever you would like because one version will be as absurd as any other. It's pure fantasy.

Party pooper. :thumbdown:

StarryEyed June 24 2010 03:26 AM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
Quote:

scotpens wrote: (Post 4189906)
Quote:

StarryEyed wrote: (Post 4189777)
Use your imagination because that is the only place it would happen. Hybrids between species which evolved separately over billions of years on different planets is probably the greatest scientific absurdity we see on Star Trek so forget trying to piece together what one would look like. Make it what ever you would like because one version will be as absurd as any other. It's pure fantasy.

Party pooper. :thumbdown:

I regret any attenuation of your festivities as a result of my presentation of facts. :vulcan:

captcalhoun June 24 2010 07:23 AM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
i doubt the Andorians and Vulcans would be biologically compatible even in Trekverse, since they're blood chemistry is so different.

STIntergalactic June 24 2010 07:34 AM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
Quote:

madmatthias wrote: (Post 4189568)
To answer your question, We haven't seen any Andorian Hybrids, bar the offshot race encountered in the ENT season 4 arc (cannot remember the name of them),

The species was the Aenar. And actually, that race did provide us with our only Andorian hybrid, in the form of Talla, who was an Aenar/Andorian hybrid. Although, it's been speculated that Andorians on TNG were also of this same hybrid species, because they looked more similar to Talla than normal Andorians.

Bry_Sinclair June 24 2010 09:02 AM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
Quote:

captcalhoun wrote: (Post 4190339)
i doubt the Andorians and Vulcans would be biologically compatible even in Trekverse, since they're blood chemistry is so different.

In the VOY episode where Torres fixes a robotic soldier (can't remember the name of the episode), she goes to the EMH for help with the problem and he mentions about how a Vulcan and a Bolian couldn't transfuse blood without killing the patient.

It might be the same for Vulcans and Andorians, though a Bolian-Andorian hybrid may be more likely.

As for the point about interspecies breeding being absurd, I do agree that it is a little far-fetched that humans and species just happen to share enough genetic similarity to produce healthy children. This could go back to the fact that all humanoids came from a single species (a TNG episode whose name I can't remember either). Or when Jadzia and Worf were planning a family (just before she was murdered by Dukat), she had to undergo ovarian-resequencing therapy in order to conceive.

Just a few thoughts.

-Bry

Pauln6 June 24 2010 09:28 AM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 4190482)
Quote:

captcalhoun wrote: (Post 4190339)
i doubt the Andorians and Vulcans would be biologically compatible even in Trekverse, since they're blood chemistry is so different.

In the VOY episode where Torres fixes a robotic soldier (can't remember the name of the episode), she goes to the EMH for help with the problem and he mentions about how a Vulcan and a Bolian couldn't transfuse blood without killing the patient.

It might be the same for Vulcans and Andorians, though a Bolian-Andorian hybrid may be more likely.

As for the point about interspecies breeding being absurd, I do agree that it is a little far-fetched that humans and species just happen to share enough genetic similarity to produce healthy children. This could go back to the fact that all humanoids came from a single species (a TNG episode whose name I can't remember either). Or when Jadzia and Worf were planning a family (just before she was murdered by Dukat), she had to undergo ovarian-resequencing therapy in order to conceive.

Just a few thoughts.

-Bry

Andorians and Bolians have (what should be) yellow, cobalt-based blood while Vulcan have green (should be verdigris) copper-based blood. Fan fiction also has andorians requiring 4 genders to procreate and have completely different circulatory systems.

I too loathe Trek's decision to use half-breeds as often as they did. Spock was an anomaly (how can a mother with iron-based blood keep a foetus with copper-based blood alive) but I could accept him as a one-off because it was the sixties, he was useful as an allegory, and the nature of the Vulcan psyche led to some interesting confilcts (although later writers managed to tell the same stories perfectly well with full-blooded Vulcans). Saavik is fine as both species have a common genetic history.

Deanna - dreadful. Kheylar - awful. Sela - pulease. Naomi Wildman - drown at birth. Active genetic engineering would be needed to produce these hybrids. But hang on - the Federation has banned genetic engineering... :wtf:

I think writers often used it as an excuse to avoid making their aliens too alien or (e.g. in the case of Deanna) as a way of limiting an inconvenient racial trait. Of course I view that as one of the show's flaws. If you don't want your aliens to be alien, then don't use aliens in the first place.

C.E. Evans June 24 2010 10:03 AM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
There is nothing wrong with hybrid aliens and I think it's great that Trek has shown that kind of diversity among its non-Human characters. The overwhelming majority of races in the Star Trek Universe are humanoid--and that includes Vulcans, Klingons, Andorians, etc.,--so compatibility issues should be few and far between, with most probably overcome through science, IMO.

With an Andorian-Vulcan child, I think it's an issue of which genetic traits would be the most dominant. With Spock, his Vulcan half dominated his physical appearance, so he looked like a full-blooded Vulcan to the majority of Humans (maybe only Vulcans could see a slight difference). Something similar might be the case for a Andorian-Vulcan hybrid in which the child would resemble more one species than the other.

I'm more inclined to think that a Andorian-Vulcan may just look like an Andorian, but with pointed ears myself...

Geoff Peterson June 24 2010 10:22 AM

Re: What would a half-Andorian, half-Vulcan child look like?
 
I'm thinking they'd look like Suzie Plakston. ;)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.