The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Father's Day Query (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=123806)

Yalana Cotu June 20 2010 10:20 PM

Father's Day Query
 
Today is Father's Day in the USA. (I wonder... is it, anyplace else?)
If you could, which Star Trek character would you choose for a father?


I would choose Q, or the Gorn.
Because, either one would be such FUN to introduce a new boyfriend to!

It could be hilarious to watch Q turn him into different things!
My boyfriend has a great sense of adventure. He says that he would "enjoy" this - so long as I would change him back, eventually - " If ", he wanted to be changed back.

However, if it was the Gorn, I could lack many opportunities for boyfriends to introduce - with me being all green and scaly, with pointy teeth, a grouchy disposition, and eating live food by swallowing it whole, etc. ... .
Though, I remember my boyfriend saying that he had, "a thing" for green women.
So, maybe he would still find me very attractive. :)

ares93 June 20 2010 10:32 PM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
its father day in hungary too. i actually haven't thought about that... i dont know.
seriously? Q i can understand. but gorn?

Yalana Cotu June 20 2010 10:44 PM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
Quote:

ares93 wrote: (Post 4180897)
Q i can understand. but gorn?

I must admire strong, tough, get-it-done fatherly figures. :lol: ;)



And the Gorn, as a father, is still far better than the father that I did not have. :)

ares93 June 21 2010 12:19 AM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
Quote:

Yalana Cotu wrote: (Post 4180920)
Quote:

ares93 wrote: (Post 4180897)
Q i can understand. but gorn?

I must admire strong, tough, get-it-done fatherly figures. :lol: ;)



And the Gorn, as a father, is still far better than the father that I did not have. :)

well you do have valid points on that one, i'll give you that. but still for me, gorn. nah...

Yalana Cotu June 21 2010 01:53 AM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
Quote:

ares93 wrote: (Post 4181119)
Quote:

Yalana Cotu wrote: (Post 4180920)
Quote:

ares93 wrote: (Post 4180897)
Q i can understand. but gorn?

I must admire strong, tough, get-it-done fatherly figures. :lol: ;)



And the Gorn, as a father, is still far better than the father that I did not have. :)

well you do have valid points on that one, i'll give you that. but still for me, gorn. nah...

But the Gorn was probably a fantastic father. :) The Federation had him out-numbered, out-gunned, out-maneuvered, and obviously out-powered intellectually. How many human fathers do you know, that would be willing to sacrifice themselves against such hopelessly overwhelming odds.:cool: Still, he was willing to lay down his life to protect his little Gornlings from the alien, Federation invasion. And from one evil Starfleet Captain, who for all he knew, may even have been thinking about stealing away their mother (You know how Kirk was about green! ;) ). The Gorn was incredibly loyal, courageous, and brave, even on a mythically heroic scale! No doubt, stories will be told on his home world - for millennium - of his selfless gallantry facing those savage, creepy humanoids! :techman:


And - Happy Father's Day to all the Gornish Dads out there!
Your children are very, very lucky. :hugegrin:
And, if you are lucky enough to have a dad who loves you, give him a big hug!!!
(but watch out for Gorn breath - phewie! ;) :lol:)

_________________
Be kind to our green, scaly friends.
For a Gorn could be somebody's father.

Shatnertage June 21 2010 02:06 AM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
Quote:

How many human fathers do you know, that would be willing to sacrifice themselves against such hopelessly overwhelming odds.
George Kirk (2009)

How about Jarok from "The Defector?" He loved his daughter so much that he sacrificed everything to make the world better for her.

More from TNG: in "Chain of Command," you've got two fathers on either side of Picard, as it were: Captain Jellico, who takes command of the Enterprise, has his son's artwork in his ready room, so he cares about his son, and presumably is off defending the Federation to make a safer world from him.

On the other side, you've got Gul Madred, who brings his daughter into his office during the torture of Picard. Despite his cruelty, he seems to be a doting father.

I hadn't thought of that connection between Jellico and Madred before--thanks for a good question.

Yalana Cotu June 21 2010 02:29 AM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
Quote:

shatnertage wrote: (Post 4181272)
Quote:

How many human fathers do you know, that would be willing to sacrifice themselves against such hopelessly overwhelming odds.
George Kirk (2009)

How about Jarok from "The Defector?" He loved his daughter so much that he sacrificed everything to make the world better for her.

More from TNG: in "Chain of Command," you've got two fathers on either side of Picard, as it were: Captain Jellico, who takes command of the Enterprise, has his son's artwork in his ready room, so he cares about his son, and presumably is off defending the Federation to make a safer world from him.

On the other side, you've got Gul Madred, who brings his daughter into his office during the torture of Picard. Despite his cruelty, he seems to be a doting father.

I hadn't thought of that connection between Jellico and Madred before--thanks for a good question.

Thank you for such a great answer! :)

I am adding George Kirk, Captain Jellico, and Jarok to my list. H-m-m-m, but maybe not Gul Madred. He took "Take Your Daughter To Work Day" maybe just a little too far.:vulcan:
- Oh, why not. Maybe she would be the one to convince him to get into a new vocation some day!;) And if he loves her, as he seemed to, he could listen. Sometimes, little girls can do big miracles, if their father loves them.

(You see, the good thing about growing up without a father, is being able to adopt all the good ones you find, even if just a little.:))

The Wormhole June 21 2010 02:34 AM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
Actually, Gul Madred's daughter being allowed to wander the base freely and visit daddy in his office while he was interrogating a POW was odd. I mean seriously, how many commanders of a top secret military base are going to bring their family with them and let them witness them illegally torturing a prisoner?

Shatnertage June 21 2010 02:38 AM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
Becoming a father totally changed the way I watch those episodes. Before, they didn't mean that much to me--I didn't really understand them on an emotional level. Now, just thinking about Jarok's speech to Picard gets me misty-eyed.

How about Sarek? In TOS/TNG his relationship with his father was strained, but there was still pride on both sides, and his melding with Picard in "Sarek" shows that he loved his son very much. In NuTrek, they seem to be closer.

Yalana Cotu June 21 2010 02:55 AM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 4181352)
Actually, Gul Madred's daughter being allowed to wander the base freely and visit daddy in his office while he was interrogating a POW was odd. I mean seriously, how many commanders of a top secret military base are going to bring their family with them and let them witness them illegally torturing a prisoner?

A very good point, there. That was "weird"! But maybe it was not illegal for their world? Still, maybe a female child of his, would one day change things? We could hope so.

The Wormhole June 21 2010 03:05 AM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
Quote:

Yalana Cotu wrote: (Post 4181409)

A very good point, there. That was "weird"! But maybe it was not illegal for their world?

The implication was that the way Madred was treating Picard was against some form of intergalactic law. Even Gul Lemec thought Madred was going too far at the end.

Yalana Cotu June 21 2010 03:33 AM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
Quote:

shatnertage wrote: (Post 4181364)
How about Sarek? In TOS/TNG his relationship with his father was strained, but there was still pride on both sides, and his melding with Picard in "Sarek" shows that he loved his son very much. In NuTrek, they seem to be closer.

Yes, this is a very good thing about the movie. It made an important point about Spock and his mother as well. Children need both parents. And parents need to know how important this is, and to be there for them. :)

So, if you can, please do.


I would have, if I had either parents or children.
(Instead, I can only pester the bajebers out of good friends. ;) )

teacake June 21 2010 03:47 AM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
I'll take Rom as my father. Always putting me first, genuinely caring about me, doting even.. happy to spend time with me. Full of ideas but not pushy or manipulative, not one of those Dads who try and run your life. Just super helpful and supportive.

(Oh and no, it is not father's day here.)

sbk1234 June 21 2010 05:24 AM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
Capt. Sisko was my ideal Trek dad. All the good qualities of a father as mentioned before. Clearly a dad that Jake was proud of. That would be nice.

DevilEyes June 21 2010 02:36 PM

Re: Father's Day Query
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 4181432)
Quote:

Yalana Cotu wrote: (Post 4181409)

A very good point, there. That was "weird"! But maybe it was not illegal for their world?

The implication was that the way Madred was treating Picard was against some form of intergalactic law. Even Gul Lemec thought Madred was going too far at the end.

I was under the impression that torture is legal on Cardassia. Lemec seemed to be pissed off because Madred was clearly not using it to even try to get information out of Picard anymore, it had become all about the battle of wills, and he was just being sadistic and acting out his personal issues and break Picard.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.