The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Gaming (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Gaming on Windows 7? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=123774)

archeryguy1701 June 20 2010 02:57 AM

Gaming on Windows 7?

I've recently gotten a free copy of Windows 7 for a class, and have been seriously thinking about installing it on my main computer. I've toyed with it a little bit in a Virtual PC and have really liked it so far, but I have one very important question:

How is gaming on Win7?

Has anyone here gamed on 7? I really want to make the switch, but since playing games is one of my major activities, I don't want to switch over and then find that there are major compatibility issues or if a lot of games won't work. I've found a few industry reviews that are talk favorably about it, but I haven't found many gaming reviews from actual users. So what say you guys? Make the upgrade to Win7 or should I stick with Vista?

firehawk12 June 20 2010 03:06 AM

Re: Gaming on Windows 7?

I haven't noticed any huge compatibility issues and some people think it has less of a footprint than Vista for what that's worth.

Mr. Adventure June 20 2010 03:07 AM

I don't know about gaming but at work it seems to me that Win7 is quite compatible with Vista. Everything we've thrown at it in testing suggests so at least. I'd be more leery if you were going from XP.

firehawk12 June 20 2010 03:22 AM

And actually, in 7 Pro you can run an entire virtualized version of XP if you really want to.

clint g June 20 2010 05:47 AM

I've been gaming on windows 7 for a while now and the only issues I've had have been with older games, such as the original fallout games

Kelthaz June 20 2010 05:56 AM

Windows 7 is pretty much a functional version of Vista. There's no reason not to upgrade.

CaptJimboJones June 23 2010 10:43 PM

I recently upgraded and have been able to play Crysis, Flight Simulator X and a few older games (Doom 3, Darkstar One) with no problem at all.

CorporalClegg June 23 2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Kelthaz wrote: (Post 4179677)
Windows 7 is pretty much a functional version of Vista. There's no reason not to upgrade.

Functional or functioning?

Sparky June 24 2010 09:03 AM

I've noticed that gaming is faster on Win 7 than it was with Vista. That also extends to the entire operating system itself though. Vista in every aspect is a dog compared to Win 7.

John Clark June 24 2010 04:52 PM

I've only had two issues so far with Win7 (64) and games.

Gears of War says it's not compatible but I haven't tried to force the issue. Bioshock has had an audio issue (no sound at all), but was ok with XP.

All the other games I've played have been fine and one has even been faster than on XP, but that is probably down to having extra memory now.

Sparky June 25 2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

John Clark wrote: (Post 4191174)
I've only had two issues so far with Win7 (64) and games.

Gears of War says it's not compatible but I haven't tried to force the issue. Bioshock has had an audio issue (no sound at all), but was ok with XP.

All the other games I've played have been fine and one has even been faster than on XP, but that is probably down to having extra memory now.

Bioshock works perfectly fine for me. No audio issues at all on Win7. Have you tried running GoW in Vista or XP compatibility mode?

John Clark June 25 2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Sparky wrote: (Post 4192574)

Bioshock works perfectly fine for me. No audio issues at all on Win7. Have you tried running GoW in Vista or XP compatibility mode?

Not yet, but it is on my list of things to do. I've also got a few tips to try for Bioshock.

Given how it runs all the other games though, I'm fairly confident I can get them to run.

archeryguy1701 June 26 2010 01:58 AM

Well, Win7 is installed. I've only tried one game on it. I haven't noticed any big difference, but the big thing is that it works. I must admit that I like the rest of the OS though. I think I'm going to be happy with this change. :)

clint g June 26 2010 01:59 AM

Yeah, Windows 7 is pretty slick :)

Hitman June 26 2010 03:50 PM

Upgraded to 7 Ultimate sometime ago, and the gaming experience couldn't be better. Higher framerates, zero crash-to-desktop, and zero problems running old games (from 2000 even).