The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New Firefly Book! "Still Flying" (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=121554)

RookieBatman May 19 2010 05:31 PM

New Firefly Book! "Still Flying"

I don't know if this is old news to most people, but they're doing another book (same format as the 2 Firefly companions, and the Serenity book) with more behind-the-scenes stuff, new cast interviews, and new short fiction pieces by people who wrote the show!

I, personally, am not a huge fan of short-form tie-in fiction. But who knows whether this might actually lead to some novels, finally. I've already preordered mine (which is something I basically never do).

G2309 May 20 2010 06:36 PM

Re: New Firefly Book! "Still Flying"

I was hoping you meant a novel. I've read the commics.

T J May 20 2010 06:42 PM

The first two words of this thread made my heart sore like an eagle... the third made me cry! :wah:

G2309 May 21 2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

T J wrote: (Post 4094932)
The first two words of this thread made my heart sore like an eagle... the third made me cry! :wah:

The only badthing about watching firefly is knowing there wont be anymore.

RandyS May 21 2010 03:22 AM

Quote:

G2309 wrote: (Post 4094908)
I was hoping you meant a novel. I've read the commics.

I haven't read the comics yet, but I'd enjoy a novel too.

RookieBatman May 21 2010 02:46 PM

Well, like I said, who knows whether good sales of this might possibly lead to novels in the future. It's something, anyway.

ATimson May 21 2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

RookieBatman wrote: (Post 4097600)
Well, like I said, who knows whether good sales of this might possibly lead to novels in the future.

They had the chance for novels several years ago, but Joss (or someone in his office) passed on them.

Ethros May 21 2010 04:18 PM

There is the new Wash themed one-shot comic out June 2nd, that is said to give clues to as to the future of the Firefly-verse

See here
Quote:

Acclaimed writer/actor/comedian Patton Oswalt (The Goon, Batman, JLA, Dollhouse, Ratatouille) brings back one of Firefly's most beloved characters in this special spotlight issue!

Always ready with a brilliant aerial maneuver and a terrible one-liner, Wash was pilot of the Firefly-class ship Serenity in Joss Whedon's cult-classic TV series before being killed in the movie. Float Out includes three brand-new stories of Wash in a series of exciting smuggling raids, each providing a hair-raising escape or daring last-minute rescue! Featuring a cameo that will leave Serenity fans reeling, this special one-shot presents new tales of the Serenity universe's past and tantalizing hints about its future!

Valin May 21 2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

ATimson wrote: (Post 4097696)
Quote:

Well, like I said, who knows whether good sales of this might possibly lead to novels in the future.

They had the chance for novels several years ago, but Joss (or someone in his office) passed on them.

Maybe they can get novelist Richard Castle to write them.

OmahaStar May 22 2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

T J wrote: (Post 4094932)

This might help. There's a new Firefly universe movie, direct to dvd, and it'll be out by September.

Greg Cox May 22 2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Valin wrote: (Post 4098439)
Quote:

ATimson wrote: (Post 4097696)
Quote:

Hah! I'll bet he would have a real affinity for the characters.

Admiral_Young May 23 2010 09:02 AM

Well now I saw this listed and didn't know what it was until just now....checked it out on amazon and yes Titan Books is publishing it and 160 pages of happy shiny material in the same format as the first two books from them. I loved those books so I'll probably pick this one up too. Thanks for the heads up.

RJDiogenes May 23 2010 09:40 AM

This sounds good. I'm very interested in the short fiction. I really wish they would do more Firefly stuff; they should really take advantage of the direct-to-DVD market. It's a shame that they'd have to deal with the awfulness of Serenity, though.

Quote:

OmahaStar wrote: (Post 4101005)
This might help. There's a new Firefly universe movie, direct to dvd, and it'll be out by September.

That looks like it could be quite interesting.

FordSVT May 23 2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 4102359)
Well now I saw this listed and didn't know what it was until just now....checked it out on amazon and yes Titan Books is publishing it and 160 pages of happy shiny material in the same format as the first two books from them. I loved those books so I'll probably pick this one up too. Thanks for the heads up.

One thing that annoys me as much as BSG fans who insist on using the word "frak" in every sentence is Firefly fans who have to shoe-horn "shiny" into everything. :)

Christopher May 23 2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 4101207)
Quote:

Valin wrote: (Post 4098439)

Hah! I'll bet he would have a real affinity for the characters.

Well, we know he's a fan, since he dressed up as Mal last Halloween. ;)

Quote:

OmahaStar wrote: (Post 4101005)

That's a fan film, right? It's not like this is anything official.