The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   New DS9 Relaunch Novels? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=121244)

Galahad May 15 2010 03:15 PM

New DS9 Relaunch Novels?

Other that the Typhon Pact book by David R. George III will we see anymore DS9 relaunch stories in 2011?

(Just finished Soul Key last night and am impatiently awaiting the next story arc).

Defcon May 15 2010 03:38 PM

Re: New DS9 Relaunch Novels?

Nothing has been announced yet for DS9 beyond DRG III's Typhon Pact novel .

JoeZhang May 15 2010 04:01 PM

I'll pass on this until I see some reviews and see it's not another snoozefest like the last few DS9 books.

Technobuilder May 15 2010 04:01 PM

One of the best series, but much of the momentum was lost. It's a shame really.

I'm hoping that it gets back into the groove, especially as I'm eagerly awaiting DRGIII's next turn at bat.

ares93 May 15 2010 04:01 PM

there wont be a new ds9 novel. or any other series specific novel for that matter. at least not until 2012-2013. they'll keep making tie in novels like destiny.

Defcon May 15 2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

ares93 wrote: (Post 4079795)
there wont be a new ds9 novel. or any other series specific novel for that matter. at least not until 2012-2013. they'll keep making tie in novels like destiny.

:cardie: Somebody better inform Peter David (New Frontier), David A. McIntee(TNG), Steven Mollmann & Michael Schuster (TOS), Michael A. Martin (Enterprise), Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore, David Mack and Marco Palmieri (Vanguard) of this deveolpment, they all think they'll be writing series specific novels for 2011.

Lonemagpie May 15 2010 04:31 PM

Well, mine's mostly TNG but won't have "The Next Generation" on the cover - but then, neither did any of the four TNG movies...

Deranged Nasat May 15 2010 04:33 PM

Well, we've got not only Sisko and who knows what else in "The Rough Beasts of Empire", but Bashir and Dax in "Zero Sum Game" and Shar in "Paths of Disharmony". So three out of the four "Typhon Pact" books have at least some claim to DS9 status on some level. I'm sure that will keep us going. Although I too am eager for a continuation of the DS9 books. :) Oh well, 2011 looks great as it is, and we can't have everything. Maybe in 2012.

ares93 May 15 2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Defcon wrote: (Post 4079829)
Quote:

:cardie: Somebody better inform Peter David (New Frontier), David A. McIntee(TNG), Steven Mollmann & Michael Schuster (TOS), Michael A. Martin (Enterprise), Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore, David Mack and Marco Palmieri (Vanguard) of this deveolpment, they all think they'll be writing series specific novels for 2011.

alright you got me there. let me rephrase, ds9-tng-voy novels are being "tied in".

Defcon May 15 2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

ares93 wrote: (Post 4079884)
Quote:

Defcon wrote: (Post 4079829)
Quote:

alright you got me there. let me rephrase, ds9-tng-voy novels are being "tied in".

Sorry, forgot Kirsten Beyer (Voyager) in the list above. :p

Quote:

Lonemagpie wrote: (Post 4079872)
Well, mine's mostly TNG but won't have "The Next Generation" on the cover - but then, neither did any of the four TNG movies...

Yeah, my brain must have misfired there, probably was making the connection Geordi-heavy = TNG. :alienblush:

Dayton Ward May 15 2010 05:00 PM

Well, Paths of Disharmony is pretty much a TNG tale, though Shar appears in a "guest starring" role.

Galahad May 15 2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Technobuilder wrote: (Post 4079794)
One of the best series, but much of the momentum was lost. It's a shame really.

I'm hoping that it gets back into the groove, especially as I'm eagerly awaiting DRGIII's next turn at bat.

I hate to say it but I think I have to agree with you. I was out of the country 2008-2009 and read the Destiny trilogy overseas. After that my trek reading obsession more or less disappeared.

I came back to read Soul Key and found myself lost at points, but thought it was due to my 2 year hiatus from the series. On the other hand, as you said the momentum I felt in the Mission Gamma series wasn't there anymore.

It's almost as if S.D. Perry needs to come back and launch "season 9". That is, of course, unless DRGIII doesn't do it in his upcoming novel...here's hoping
:shrug:

Deranged Nasat May 15 2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Dayton Ward wrote: (Post 4079940)
Well, Paths of Disharmony is pretty much a TNG tale, though Shar appears in a "guest starring" role.

I suspected as much, but however limited his role is, it's still a fix of DS9 to keep me going! :) And I'm looking forward to follow-up on Andor.

Lonemagpie May 15 2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Defcon wrote: (Post 4079893)
Yeah, my brain must have misfired there, probably was making the connection Geordi-heavy = TNG. :alienblush:

No, I'd pretty much call it that, and it is definitely more TNG than TOS or DS9, despite Scotty and Nog being in it.

It just won't have those three words on the cover.

flemm May 15 2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Deranged Nasat wrote: (Post 4079877)
Although I too am eager for a continuation of the DS9 books.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to Rough Beasts of Empire especially, and I hope there will be a follow-up shortly thereafter.

I'm not too optimistic that we'll get to see all the loose ends from the original DS9-R tied up, but hopefully we'll get some more stories involving Kira, Odo, Vaughn, Quark and Co. post-Destiny.