The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Saban re-acquires rights to 'Rangers' (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=121086)

Samurai8472 May 13 2010 02:18 AM

Saban re-acquires rights to 'Rangers'

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

For some this article might be a god send. I personally lost interest in 2003 but kept checking in to see how Disney handled the franchise.

Everything from "LASERS!!!" to explosions every two seconds and a poor executive producer left the show a shell of itself.

Since 2004 i've been watching the far superior Japanese versions yearly.

Chris3123 May 13 2010 02:46 AM

Re: Saban re-acquires rights to 'Rangers'

Yeah, I heard about this on another board. I honestly never thought it would happen.

I've seen everything so far (yes, all 700 episodes!), though I agree it's just not as good as it was when Saban was still in charge. I'm very happy he got it back. :techman:

Well, I think everybody who cares has already chimed in. ;)

Kelthaz May 13 2010 02:57 AM

No, there's one more fan here. I stopped watching Power Rangers around Zeo, but after a 15 year hiatus I decided to pick it back up again. I'm just about to start the "Green with Evil" five parter. :)

It'll be interesting to see what Saban does with the franchise. Given how much they paid for it I'm hoping for a revival on the level of Doctor Who.

Davros May 13 2010 04:07 AM

Bring back Bulk and Skull.

Starbreaker May 13 2010 04:14 AM

I've been wanting a reboot of the original US series for years. I think they could really skew a revival towards a slightly older audience.

Agent Richard07 May 13 2010 05:04 AM

I started watching with Operation Overdrive and saw all of Jungle Fury and RPM. I'm happy to hear that we're getting some new stuff. I don't like the rerun approach they're doing now.

Kibbin May 13 2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Starbreaker wrote: (Post 4073465)
I've been wanting a reboot of the original US series for years. I think they could really skew a revival towards a slightly older audience.

Haven't they already done this, or were at leats planning it? A remastering of the original series with some flashy effects and so on, or were you talking about a bit more than that? Rewrites etc etc

TheBrew May 13 2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Davros wrote: (Post 4073448)
Bring back Bulk and Skull.

Yes please.

barnaclelapse May 13 2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Kibbin wrote: (Post 4074072)
Quote:

Haven't they already done this, or were at leats planning it? A remastering of the original series with some flashy effects and so on, or were you talking about a bit more than that? Rewrites etc etc

That actually sounds really appealing to me.

Chris3123 May 13 2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Kelthaz wrote: (Post 4073271)
No, there's one more fan here.

More than just one more, apparently. ;)

Quote:

Agent Richard07 wrote: (Post 4073558)
I started watching with Operation Overdrive and saw all of Jungle Fury and RPM. I'm happy to hear that we're getting some new stuff. I don't like the rerun approach they're doing now.

I don't like it either. I mean, I like seeing the old episodes again, but the crap they add to it is stupid.

Quote:

Quote:

He said a reboot, and what's on now is the same show, just with stupid flashy effects added.

C.E. Evans May 13 2010 05:06 PM

Yeah, I was on another message board when this news broke out. I admit that I kind of lost interest halfway through Jungle Fury and really wasn't interested in RPM at all, but then I always did have some Power Ranger shows I liked more than others.

Apparently, Disney started losing interest in Power Rangers when they started going after Marvel (signs were first evident--IMO--when Disney didn't bother to rebroadcast RPM on what is currently Disney XD).

Christopher May 13 2010 05:10 PM

Oh, RPM was the best Power Rangers season ever. It was smart, dark, funny, richly character-driven, affectionately deconstructionist -- it was practically a Ron Moore BSG-style reinvention of the franchise, but a lot more fun. It'll be a hard act to follow.

Starbreaker May 14 2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I would like to see a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers remake with Lord Zedd, Rita Repulsa, and Lord Zedd. Go back to the basics.

RoJoHen May 14 2010 05:30 AM

Don't forget about the Putties!

DigificWriter May 14 2010 06:45 AM

I'm a HUGE PR fan, but am, as of right now, in 'wait-and-see-mode' on this. I'm hoping that we get some more information about Saban's plans for the franchise going forward sooner rather than later.

I did want to clear up something about Disney and PR, though; the company never actually cared all that much about the franchise, at least not to the degree that Saban did and, judging by his move to re-acquire the property, obviously still does. To Disney, the franchise was a way to appeal to the young boy demographic and balance out their market appeal.