The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Star Trek CCG (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=120864)

cemos121 May 9 2010 11:56 PM

Star Trek CCG

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone remembers star trek ccg. I used to play alot. I even made a site http://www.startrekccg.com on it. Does anyone here play it still?

Also do you have any ideas for my site?

Annorax May 10 2010 05:00 AM

Re: Star Trek CCG

It's pretty much dead. I still have my collections of just about everything good from First and Second Editions, but since nobody around here is interested in playing it I won't be building decks anytime soon. :(

RobertScorpio May 10 2010 02:07 PM

When I was in the navy, and had just made sr chief, this I was heavily in CCG. I remember when we came to Boston, and I gave an airman $500 to find me Picard's card!!! He found one for $250 at a comic book store and got it for me. There were several TREK fans on that ship and we would scour whatever port we were in looking for comic book stores..always racing each other to find the cards...

Fun times...expensive!!! but fun..

Rob

milo bloom May 10 2010 09:06 PM

Weird, I found myself in a Dollar Tree store over the weekend of all places, and up by the registers they had display boxes of trading cards, and they had several packs of this and the Star Wars CCG.
I collected a bunch of the cards back in the day, but never had anyone to play with.

RobertScorpio May 10 2010 09:29 PM

I would say for about a good two years I played. Since I was a Senior Chief, I had pretty good access to places on the ship. I would let the lower rank guys, airmen and such, play in the chief's mess during after hours.

Rob

phrog May 11 2010 05:33 PM

Man oh man did I play a lot of this back in the day. Every Friday night a local bookstore had a gaming night and a group of us played. Had boxes upon boxes of the cards, a binder of printed out strategies and card information. Yeah, junior high and high school saw a lot of my cash going into those little packs, back when you could get them at Barnes and Noble, or any local card shop. I actually really miss it, even though I fell out of the game long before they stopped making them.

I too found the packs at the Dollar Tree recently and although the sight of them there made me a little sad and wistful, I certainly picked up a pack and grinned like an idiot opening them even though they were just first edition white borders.

RobertScorpio May 11 2010 09:38 PM

First edition white borders...wow..that does make me feel old!!!

Rob

OmahaStar May 11 2010 09:42 PM

I never learned to play the CCGs, but I did collect them. These cards (whether they be Trek, or B5, or Doctor Who, etc.,) are perfect for autograph collecting. Cheap, easy to store, and durable. Me likey.

Rush Limborg May 12 2010 11:57 AM

I am into the CCG--passionately. It's what got me into Star Trek in the first place. Irony of ironies: I get involved in '02. And just about no one sells them anymore.

To this day, I scour the "pastimes stores" for packs of the game.

barnaclelapse May 12 2010 02:34 PM

I'm not even sure I remember this.

RobertScorpio May 12 2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Rush Limborg wrote: (Post 4070911)
I am into the CCG--passionately. It's what got me into Star Trek in the first place. Irony of ironies: I get involved in '02. And just about no one sells them anymore.

I have been reading how some of you find them at dollar stores and the like...how much do they cost? I might start buying them again. Who knows, maybe we can start a 'rush' and their stock will go back up!!!

Rob

phrog May 12 2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

RobertScorpio wrote: (Post 4071240)
Quote:

I have been reading how some of you find them at dollar stores and the like...how much do they cost? I might start buying them again. Who knows, maybe we can start a 'rush' and their stock will go back up!!!

Rob

$1

RobertScorpio May 12 2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

phrog wrote: (Post 4072593)
Quote:

RobertScorpio wrote: (Post 4071240)
Quote:

Rob

$1

Im going today!

Rob

LutherSloan May 13 2010 04:32 AM

I still have a bunch around that I have no use for. I have most of the big cards from Series 1. If anyone wants them I'd be willing to part with them pretty cheaply.

darthraidr May 14 2010 08:46 PM

i used to play this game with Capt. Vulcan back in HS. it was okay. but at some point we just gave up on it. we probably didnt give it a fair shake, but oh well. my problem with CCGs is the cost associated with them. players with more money can simply buy a better deck. also, CCGs seem to pump expansions out way too quickly.

I do enjoy the board game/ccg Dominion. (not at all trek related). it's got all the cards you need for a game, and incorporates deck building as a key mechanic of gameplay.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36218/dominion

if there were a trek game like that, i'd pick it up in a heartbeat.