The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   STNG remastered and in 3D?? CBS weighs in on this! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=120778)

RAMA May 8 2010 01:33 PM

STNG remastered and in 3D?? CBS weighs in on this!

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=120132

From the future board.

While I think 3D is unnecessary, if it gets the work done for remastering STNG, I'm all for it.

RAMA

Garak007 May 8 2010 02:21 PM

Re: STNG remastered and in 3D?? CBS weighs in on this!

Yeah remaster the acting & sets and get rid of Wesley Crusher. The affects of the Enterprise is not that bad still.

Flake May 8 2010 03:41 PM

Wesley Crusher in 3D?

I am all for this as it will destroy this god awful 3D fad!! DO it!

Merry Christmas May 9 2010 02:27 AM

Since I'm not going to get a 3D set anytime soon, no hurry.

Now Hoshi dropping out of the air duct, topless and in 3D, that's a different story.

The Grim Ghost May 10 2010 12:19 AM

Total waste. The effects aren't that dated at all.

Tosk May 10 2010 04:53 AM

I'm no fan of 3D, but if it'll help convince them to remaster TNG from scratch, I'm all for it.

The effects of early TNG weren't bad per se, but they are let down by terribly lo-res video compositing.

RAMA May 10 2010 06:07 AM

Quote:

destro wrote: (Post 4063731)

Tosk nails it on the head. Most of the FX were very good, they just don't work well with new HD formats.

RAMA

milo bloom May 10 2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 4064313)

The effects of early TNG weren't bad per se, but they are let down by terribly lo-res video compositing.

Quote:

RAMA wrote: (Post 4064439)
Quote:

destro wrote: (Post 4063731)

Tosk nails it on the head. Most of the FX were very good, they just don't work well with new HD formats.

RAMA

We're currently rewatching the series on DVD, and there's a lot of FX shots that have the potential to look good, but as noted the lo-res video compositing is what has done them a disservice. If they occasionally look a bit dodgy on DVD then the HD formats will definitely show any problems even worse.

Shatnertage May 10 2010 11:18 PM

Do we really watch for the special effects? I can't imagine how 3D would make an episode like "The Inner Light" any better.

I'd rather see them take the money and use it to tell some new stories, in whatever medium and in whichever timeline/universe they want to.

Tosk May 11 2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

shatnertage wrote: (Post 4066623)
Do we really watch for the special effects?

Only for the special effects? No. But they are part of the equation...and just as important as any of the other parts.

Is it wrong to want all aspects of the show to be equally good?

RAMA May 11 2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 4066935)
Quote:

shatnertage wrote: (Post 4066623)
Do we really watch for the special effects?

Only for the special effects? No. But they are part of the equation...and just as important as any of the other parts.

Is it wrong to want all aspects of the show to be equally good?

I agree...It annoyed me when I watched it BEFORE HD...you could sometimes see the low res lines through certain spaceships, and other fx. Has nothing to do with creativity..just tech.

RAMA

mark101 May 15 2010 06:20 PM

i dont like 3d, its been around since the 70s and ppl didnt really like imt then, unless it gets radically bettter its still kind of a novelty

Ugly Sweater May 15 2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

RAMA wrote: (Post 4060272)
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=120132

From the future board.

While I think 3D is unnecessary, if it gets the work done for remastering STNG, I'm all for it.

RAMA

:faceplam:

Look, the 3D in Avatar was awesome but it was filmed in 3D there's no way they can convert TNG into 3D and make it look good on the budget they're going to have for a 20-year-old TV series getting a DVD-only release.

I'd much rather them invest in re-editing/cutting the episodes and redoing the SFX for a high-quality BD disc release.

Lord Prancer The 5th May 15 2010 07:41 PM

Mind if I just chime in and say that this is a really retarded idea?

billcosby May 15 2010 07:46 PM

It will have to happen eventually.

As repeated repeatedly on this thread and others, TNG's special effects in space were done on video... and even at DVD quality look dodgy. On Blu-ray they would be certainly ratty and dogeared.

It's just an age/quality thing. The battle scenes from DS9's Way of the Warrior however look fantastic, and unbelievably they were done with actual models and not CG.